Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • is there a rule of thumb for who legally owns a party wall?
  • scandalous
    Free Member

my / my neighbours wall bit the dust in the storms last night.

If you face down the garden with the house to your back it is the wall to the right hand side.

is it mine or theirs or would only consulting the deeds provide the answer?

either way it needs to be rebuilt which is a pain but, considering the strife others are facing its not the end of the world by a long stretch!

qwerty
    Free Member

Deeds?

DM52
    Free Member

The deeds should have the answer.

Pook

Deeds and plan

footflaps

If it’s just a garden wall then it is unlikely to be in the deeds unless it’s a new build.

Cougar

Rules of thumb are just that. There’s various urban myths but the deeds are the only sure way of telling. In the absence of that it’ll be 50/50.

matt_bl
    Free Member

As others have said deeds are the only way to be sure.

Our current house, all boundaries are ‘party walls’, even where the physical wall lies wholly within one of the properties.

Matt

[Edit] Doesn’t mean you can’t do anything with it, just that there is a legal procedure to follow.

richc
    Free Member

If it’s just a garden wall then it is unlikely to be in the deeds unless it’s a new build.

Depends on the house though, mine was built in the 1800’s and I have boundaries clearly marked including who owns what wall.

footflaps

Depends on the house though, mine was built in the 1800’s and I have boundaries clearly marked including who owns what wall.

Mine (1890s) has just the boundaries marked, no mention of who owns what.

scandalous
    Free Member

1893 – so quite old. the wall was always a bit doddery tbh!

time for a more robust fencing panel system!

wwaswas

Rule of thumb:

If it needs expensive repairs then you own it.

scandalous
    Free Member

like!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“time for a more robust fencing panel system!”

you mean a more maintainance required less long lasting fencing panel system surely ?

Squirrel

insurance?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If you have neighbours like mine, best to do it yourself so it looks nice. The fence blew down on his side, he said he wanted to have a brick wall put up instead. I thought this would be nice. I came home one day from work to find a DIY breeze block wall had appeared, and it looked awful.

I had my side clad with featherboard and painted.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

There’s various urban myths but the deeds are the only sure way of telling. In the absence of that it’ll be 50/50.

That’s my experience – deeds didn’t show.

Olly
    Free Member

does it have buttresses/piers/columns?

hammyuk
    Free Member

My deeds show it to be the RH wall with property in front BUT there are others in here that have the LH on theirs

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I went through this last year and figured splitting it would be fair as ownership wasnt clear

Deeds useless and neighbour said to jog on cos it was the right side, or left side, or something equally useless and urban myth-y and not his problem

After threatening legal action* he coughed up and went 50:50

* pity it came to this as we now hate each other but I did take legal advice and was told if it went to lawyers it would cost thousands and the only winners would be the lawyers – but fortunately he saw sense as I was actually going to foot the whole bill myself which would still have been cheaper than getting the solicitors in

project
    Free Member

If the wall has fallen into the neighbours garden, just build a wooden fence your side, that way youdont have topay for a skip, and removal of old bricks, and just be thankful it didnt fall on anyone, 2 children have ben killed by crap walls falling on then locally in recent years up here.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘is there a rule of thumb for who legally owns a party wall?’ is closed to new replies.