Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Is there a more bland cereal than Shredded Wheat?
  • dirkpitt74

Had some for breakfast this morning – god it’s bland & boring!
    A bit like eating straw……
    Is there anything blander?
    How can you make it taste better?
    What else can you do with Shredded Wheat?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Is there a cereal with less complex, highly processed, unhealthy crap in it than Shredded Wheat?

No, there’s your answer.

Add a bit of sugar to it and it’s great. Or 1/3 of one of the myriad nut/grain/ honey/sugar granola muesli things and it’s a bloody marvellous combination of pleasant to eat & reasonably healthy.

If you’re used to a diet of overprocessed, oversweetened ‘mercan style food then yes it may seem bland

Matt_SS_xc

You just need delicious full fat milk from your local milkman…..

Rice crispies are far worse!

BoardinBob

Weetabix is just as bad

thestabiliser
    Free Member

NEVER go the generalists for tea

jambourgie
    Free Member

Should be bland but I love them. When did they start wrapping them in twos though? A portion is three.

tomhoward

All grown up cereal is bland and boring.

MrPottatoHead

Kellogg all-bran. It serves a purpose but it’s like doing the cream-cracker challenge.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

NEVER go the generalists for tea

😆

Right, you’ve asked for it. I’m going to take a photo of my tea tonight and post it on here. NOBODY disses the culinary delights of ChezGeneralist.

Copious quantities of good food is taken exceedingly surrussly in this house 😄

Though number one son has just come into the room swearing that the oven doesn’t work, which doesn’t bode well.

fazzini

Bitesize shredded Wheat, tesco special flakes red Berries, chopped banana, skimmed milk. Keeps hunger locked up til lunch.

sirromj

My favourite combo currently: 66% Fruit & Fibre + 34% Sugar Honey Puffs

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I don’t believe it, the **** oven has indeed broken.

Looks like it’s Shredded Wheat for tea, with a teaspoon of sugar. 🙁

pyranha

Thursday was roasting day at the Shredded Wheat factory when I was at school, and if the wind was in the right direction, we spent school breaks in the smell of roasting wheat. Got to say, I’m with thegeneralist in that it’s good because it’s simple – but I eat plain muesli (with hazelnut milk) for breakfast, and a plate of raw veg for lunch, so clearly I like a lot of unprocessed food. I’m tempted to buy a pack for old time’s sake, but as it’s no longer made in Welwyn Garden City, it seems almost a betrayal.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I remember eating Golden Oaties when I was a kid, they were delicious.

The crispiest fleet you can eat 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

There indeed a more bland cereal than shredded wheat – Ready Brek. Other than food that has gone off, it’s the only food I’ve ever binned as inedible.

sillyoldman

Special K

ton

grown ups eat protein for breakfast.
    cereals are for children.
    pass me the crunchy nut cornflakes anyday.

binners

All breakfast cereals are the spawn of Satan. Every single one of them.

Why in the name of all that is holy would anyone eat it when breakfast offers such delicious alternatives

slowoldman

Add plenty of fruit and nuts.

Dickyboy

A breakfast cereal shaped like a brillo pad, what did you expect.

blackhat
    Free Member

Weetabix for the win – it is bland in taste and texture. At least Shredded Wheat has that straw structure for distraction, whereas Wheetabix is plain paper mâché.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I was discussing the absolute bizarreness of shredded wheat with my Lad today, you couldnt get a more British food item if you tried, however it is actually American invented by Henry Perky

feed

Oh, I’d forgotten how good it is, warm milk (30 secs in the microwave) to soften it and honey poured over. Delicious. Must buy a box when shopping tomorrow.

wooksterbo

I’d go Greek yoghurt with it plus banana and some sort of dried fruit, perhaps cranberries.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

20220924_202655

Gnomm, sirloin.

Caher

I also give you All-Bran, colonic irrigation for the brave. Wood shavings are tastier.

dyna-ti

Muesli ?

Apparently it was once used as animal feed.

CountZero

There indeed a more bland cereal than shredded wheat – Ready Brek. Other than food that has gone off, it’s the only food I’ve ever binned as inedible.

My favourite breakfast when I was a kid, lots of milk and brown sugar!
    Now it’s Crunchy Nut. Occasionally I’ll buy a box of the clusters and mix it in with the regular version, for added crunchyness.

robertajobb

Shredded wheat is easily made tasty. 2 simple steps.

1. Add several slices of bacon.
    2. Remove the shredded wheat.

paton
    Free Member

Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal by Terence Kealey

“Prologue
    I was contracted to submit the first draft of this manuscript to my publishers on 31 January 2016. The day before, on 30January, The Times trailed on its front page an article by Angela Epstein, a health journalist, entitled ‘Eight great weight-loss myths’. Skipping breakfast was myth number four.
    A recent study by Louisiana State University found that a 250-calorie serving of oatmeal [porridge] for breakfast resulted in reducing calorie intake at lunch.
    Some people like to do crossword, but my morning hobby is to find the catch in claims that breakfast is good for me, so where was this article’s catch? I had twenty-four hours in which to uncover it.
    It wasn’t hard to locate the study, which had just been published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, where I discovered that it had actually come jointly from Louisiana State University and PepsiCo (which owns the Quaker Oats Company). That is obviously a different provenance than from Louisiana State University alone.
    The study showed, moreover, that, compared with a breakfast of Honey Nut Cheerios, a bowl of Quaker Instant Oatmeal slightly reduced the amount eaten subsequently at lunch; but the study did not compare subjects who ate a bowl of Quaker Instant Oatmeal with those who’d actually skipped breakfast, because no subjects were asked to skip it. Why not?
    Well, it so happens that, contrary to what most people believe, eating breakfast significantly increases your total intake of calories: though eating breakfast may reduce your calorie intake at lunch, the calories you consume at breakfast will greatly exceed the ones they displace at lunch. So a fuller Times report of the study in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition might have read:

A recent study by Louisiana State University that was funded by – and performed jointly with-PepsiCo (which owns the Quaker Oats Company) found that a 250-calorie serving of oatmeal for breakfast resulted in a significantly reduced calorie intake at lunch compared with an equivalent serving of Honey Nut Cheerios. Eating any cereal, however, greatly increases the total daily calorie intake, and only if breakfast were actually skipped would the total daily calorie intake have fallen.

That little story summarises this book.”

angrycat
    Free Member

Ronnie Barker classic from years ago –
    “And in tonight’s news. A man is in hospital after mistaking a Brillo Pad for Shredded Wheat. doctors are expecting him to scrape through”

Always makes me wince when I think about it.

rone

For people like me who can’t hack any sugar they do the job.

dudeofdoom

I have little bran shredded wheats with choccy in the middle, not sure if they do them in your land which are pleasent.

I think you should have the fibre to ease the morning movements 🙂

But as said above most of the breakfast cereals are just bad news nutritionally, especially for sedentary style lifestyles unlike the honed athletes we are.

A pile of sugars not going to be a prob when we’re off on our 60 mile ride before work.

A terrible way of injecting sugar under the guise of ‘healthy’.

dudeofdoom

I’d go Greek yoghurt with it plus banana and some sort of dried fruit, perhaps cranberries.

I like Greek yog with crunchy muesli and choc bits,but never fat free 🙂

I get the Spanish Spar choc muesli (upper)and a tub of Hacendado grieco (mercaddona) so none of your posh stuff and the taste sensation is stellar.

Not sure that my nutritional make up is better but dried fruit aren’t sin free 🙂

cookeaa

I can’t do sugar for breakfast, bleagh! But it seems I’m in the minority

I distinctly remember one year we stayed at my Uncle and Aunt’s on Christmas and none of them could fathom that I wanted cornflakes (yes I know hardly sugar free, but that’s what was on offer) with milk and no extra added sugar…

Dunno, lashings of sugar for breakfast feels like a very 70s/80s kind of thing now. I’d probably be fine with the shreddies the OP turned their nose up at TBH…

Cougar

I’m going to take a photo of my tea tonight and post it on here. NOBODY disses the culinary delights of ChezGeneralist.

You’re boasting about meat and potatoes? 😁

I also give you All-Bran, colonic irrigation for the brave.

Mate of mine used to eat that stuff. I tried a handful once, I was on the Shit Yourself Thin diet for two days straight.

cinnamon_girl

Make my own granola and it’s seriously delicious. Full of maple syrup and honey so probably not healthy and the seeds getting stuck in my teeth are a pita. Won’t stop me eating it though.

BillMC

I throw a very bland packet of oats and a packet of bran together in a container topped up with mixed seeds and dried fruit with chopped fresh fruit on the day, keeps me going (as it were).

slowoldman

Ms Slow is just putting together breakfasts for next week’s self catering in the Lakes. There will be Shredded Wheat, Weetabix, All Bran and Bran Flakes, plus fruit and nuts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.