Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is there a better gravel / touring / do it all frame than s Camino under £500
  • karnali
    Free Member

Or should I just pre order

I have a grx double groupset and wheels to go on it
    Ta

continuity
    Free Member

Merlin G2 is usually cheaper and lighter.

Less hipster tho?

matt_outandabout

I think the Merlin has less tyre clearance – my G2P fits max 40mm+45/50mm guards.

My G2P also has infuriatingly bad design of mounting bolts for racks that foul the through axle lever, plus bottle cages that aren’t positioned as low as possible, reducing frame bag space.

And don’t get me started on the mis-made forks that miss out key mounts.

It’s OK as a do it all bike, but IMO it’s a factory standard order rather than someone who has actually ridden the thing for a few weeks.

cookeaa

For £599 You can have the claris build G2, worth the extra £100 for all the little finishing bits you’ll need like headsets, seatclamps etc (and probably placeholder parts like seatposts or stems, spare wheels?.

Flog what you remove, as we’re mid-part drought an unused claris group will sell…

Linky

ampthill

From memory Camino is designed to be run 1x. Others claim to have 2x builds. Before i spent the money i’d want to be sure my groupset would fit. But that aside it looks great with space for big tyres

Stainypants

They sell a 105 build so it will definitely take a double.

ampthill

Stainypants good to know and i stand corrected

ElShalimo

Camino will take a double, always has done since v1

ElShalimo

Look at Spa Cycles Elan 725

nstpaul

WooHoo, turns out I’ve been a hipster for 3 years now and wasn’t even aware 😉

matt_outandabout

Look at Spa Cycles Elan 725

Funnily enough, I was looking at one of those recently. Looks properly sorted do it all touring on road and up forest tracks.

ElShalimo

They do a Ti version too if you’re feeling flush

beamishblue

Carbonda 696

ginkster

I’ve been pretty impressed with my Camino. It’s been used for road, gravel, light off-road, commute and for bikepacking with a swap of wheels/tyres. It definitely takes 2x – I have 2 x GRX. Depending on the frame size, chainset size and what band you are using you may find the bottle mount gets in the way of the front derailleur band. I had to file a little bit out of the band (large frame, 48/31 chainset, GRX FD with Shimano band). It’s a really versatile bike and if you already have the parts the frame is great value. Just a shame about the wait!

ElShalimo

I love my v1 Camino with Apex 1 but the frame is a little agricultural, that’s fine as it wasn’t expensive. The colours are a bit weird though, it’s a nice green but with daft black and blue stripes

karnali
    Free Member

@beamishblue carbinda 686 for under £500 where from please

ogden
    Free Member

I’ve always looked at the Camino threads on here and thought I really wanted one but I’ve had noting but issues with my frame and fork(s).

Paint is really pretty poor in my opinion.
    Took three attempts to send me the correct coloured fork.
    Fork bosses are all off in odd angles.
    Steerer tubes are slightly oversized meaning my hope headset I ordered won’t fit or I have to sand it – same on all three forks.
    The FSA headset the sent me leaves a gaping gap at the top.
    The front mech guide looks like it’s barely attached.

Yes I know its only a £300 frame but I’m not sure I’d order it again. Also its pretty heavy! 2.6kg for a medium frame and fork.

b230ftw
    Free Member

“ 2.6kg for a medium frame and fork.”

I reckon that’s pretty good for a do it all frameset for £300.

jon_n
    Free Member

I think the Merlin has less tyre clearance – my G2P fits max 40mm+45/50mm guards.

My G2P also has infuriatingly bad design of mounting bolts for racks that foul the through axle lever, plus bottle cages that aren’t positioned as low as possible, reducing frame bag space.

And don’t get me started on the mis-made forks that miss out key mounts.

Not sure if there are revised versions of the G2P frame – mine has rear mudguard mounts which are very close to the rear through axle (but don’t foul, just!), and pannier mounts further up. It also came with different forks to the earlier ones (matt black carbon) which have mudguard mounts on the inners of the legs, and a front threaded mount on the crown (although just front, not all the way through).

I would agree on tyre clearance though – you are never going to get fat tyres in there, although I reckon you could squeeze 45mm in there at a push.

It’s more of a ‘racing bike made burlier’ than an out and out gravel/tourer – but that matched with what I wanted pretty much.

damascus
    Free Member

I reckon that’s pretty good for a do it all frameset for £300.

Its now £399! 25% increase over night!

https://alpkit.com/products/sonder-camino-al-v3-frame-and-fork

cromolyolly
    Free Member

25% increase over night!

It’s even worse if you calculate it the other way – up 33%. All the Sonder frames took a big jump.

The Spa Cycles Elan is very nice – the only proviso is that the chainstays are slightly long – more a touring than gravel length. Good for paniers and straight line stability, but might reduce the agility and fun factor.

snotrag

Really like my Camino, V3 in mint (the best!).

Whereas many are very much road/touring bikes made burlier the Camino is much more like a hardtail MTB in its build though, the chainstay area construction is very burly, the disc mounts, dropouts etc. Hence it being a little bit (but not excessively) porky.

It suits my build which is a chunky GRX off road type spec with strong wheels and big tyres. I’m not so sure it’s the right frame if you just want a road bike you can bump up kerbs or fit a rack to though.

FWIW no issue with paint or tolerances on mine, got it early 2021.

nixie

Pretty sure that price went up last week. Had been hovering over the buy button of a V3 to replace my V1 for a while however the price increase has put me off.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

cant wait for mine, not had a delay email but camino ti with grx 1x is unlikely on due xmas date.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s a shame about the price increase – that’s a hefty bump.

I really like my v3 (also in mint) – it replaced a Croix de Fer and it’s a much more comfortable / capable / versatile bike. I haven’t had any QC issues, but have noticed the paint is a weak spot – cable rub was evident after a single ride before I had chance to heli-tape the contact points. Mine’s got 1×11 GRX on it and nice tyres which definitely makes it feel premium even if the frame is relatively basic.

boxelder

That Elan with the Kinesis Tripster fork option looks nice.
    Pinnacle Arkose – SH from fleabay etc?

The Niner RLT in the classifieds

slackboy

There are a while bunch of clearance Camino frames in the hathersage store. Ti frames at £800 if I recall correctly.

I think there was a medium signal at the same price

nixie

When was that @slackboy.

slackboy

On Sunday

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is there a better gravel / touring / do it all frame than s Camino under £500’ is closed to new replies.