Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is there a 26" equivalent of the Salsa Fargo type bike?
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

as title. people will no doubt suggest the inbred, but really they’re just trail bikes with a few rack braze-ons… so what you saying?

RichT

Thorn do quite a few 26″ tourers. Also the Surly Long Haul Trucker is now available in all sizes with 26″ wheels.

kiwijohn

Salsa Mukluk?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    paul78
    Free Member

Kinesis Decade Tripster…

runs 700c and 26 … and disc mounts:)

sweepy
    Free Member
    pascoa341
    Free Member

Is it a tourer that you want, or an off road tourer?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i suppose an off-road tourer/touring mountainbike. but one with a more ‘universal’ wheel size than the fargo

pascoa341
    Free Member

In that case the Thorn Ripio may be a very good bet. Also the Santos Travelmaster takes a 85mm suspension fork, which could work. If you ever are in the Netherlands, try to get an old SCC02 as they are just about as good and a lot cheaper :-). If you can live with a bit of flex in your frame when you pack heavily, the Genesis altitude range takes a rack and is pretty strong (I currently use it and it takes about 10 kg. at the back without issues). German brand VSF have the VSF T400 which is a bit of a difficult one to build into more of a mtb setup, but it certainly is possible (see this link.

The Surly LHT is a good one, but more of a normal tourer. They have another model (Pugsy I thought), which takes massive tyres and may be an interesting choice.

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

There’s the Surly Troll now too……

Eurobike: Genesis, Surly, Salsa

Sam

700c is pretty ‘universal’ if you ask me, and for the kind of riding the Fargo is designed for a much better bet.

MrTall
    Free Member

I just put the newly delivered chainset on my new Fargo this morning, just a few bits left to go until it is finished.

Mine turned up the day after i saw Salsa were revamping the frame for 2011. Doh! New ones designed to accept a sus fork and changed to IS mounts at the rear.

Like Sam says, 700c is pretty universal as well and push comes to shove, if you were ever desperate, you could shove a 26″ wheel in there as it is disc specific and it would at least be rideable until you could get the correct wheel.

Frame is nicely finished although the headtube on my XXL version is a tad fugly – but it’s already growing on me.

pascoa341
    Free Member

700c is pretty ‘universal’ if you ask me, and for the kind of riding the Fargo is designed for a much better bet.

Depends a little bit on where you want to go. Europe Australia and US yes, but in Latin America, Africa and many a part of Asia you may be better off with good old 26″.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

the troll looks great!

to counter your point, mister tall, the troll could fit a 700c wheel if one got stuck… 🙂 though it has canti mounts, so of course that only applies if it’s running discs 🙄

coastkid
    Free Member

most older trecking type bikes are for 26″ wheels, like those from Cannondale and Thorn and Orbital, agree on Surly recommendations as a cheapish price and lots of mounts,drop out set up options and steel for RTW repair…, with DMR chaintugs with mech hanger a Surly 1×1 must be the most multi purpose steel ridged frameset out 😮

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is there a 26" equivalent of the Salsa Fargo type bike?’ is closed to new replies.