Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Is the universe hollow ?
  • I like reading stuff about space and the universe and I liked those cosmic zoom films we had a few weeks ago, but one thing I’ve never seen discussed is the shape of the universe.
    Maybe I’m missing something, and with all this bending of space and time, it hasn’t got a shape as I understand the word.

If it all started from a single point with the big bang, then surely all the matter in the universe will be at more or less the same distance from that point at any one time, so the universe will be hollow like a balloon.

Is it ?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Nobody knows. Next question?

MrSparkle

No. And at the same time – Yes.

sslowpace
    Free Member

I like the fact that as the universe is expanding, the expansion is accelerating faster than the speed of light 😯

And, what are we expanding into…. 😯

simonralli2
    Free Member

We may need to really shake off any Euclidian conceptual hangovers of time and space before we really get to grips with the “illusion” that is the physical universe 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Nobody knows. Next question?

Sounds like fighting talk to me.

juan
    Free Member

No it’s not, it’s only banker’s and tory’s brains that are hollow… 😈

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And, what are we expanding into….

Nothingness, all that exists only exists because there is time there. Beyond the edge of the current universe there is no ‘time’. so it is non existent.

McHamish
    Free Member

The majority of space contains nothing.

It’s a vacuum so it’s not hollow like a balloon…I think.

Maybe.

This guy will know…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I like the idea of the universe being part of a greater multiverse.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The universe is shapeless, as it’s just a simulation running on another species PC. A bit like a more sophisticated version of Sims. The other species’ universe is also shapeless, as it’s also a simulation, but just like us they haven’t realised that yet.

maccruiskeen

what are we expanding into….

Chainreaction’s ‘out of this world’ sale

donsimon
    Free Member

MrSparkle – Member

No. And at the same time – Yes.

I’d have to disagree and say yes. And at the same time – No.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

there is a theory that as soon as anyone finds out what the universe is and what its for it will instantly be replaced with something evenn more strange and unexplainable. . . . there is another theory that this has already happened

Flaperon

Possibly saddle-shaped.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is the universe hollow ?

Dunno ……… but it’s definitely not real.

Thank ****.

chewkw
    Free Member

What is in our deep sea before we try to explore or to pollute the universe? What is there to know about universe anyway? Live in another planet?

neilthewheel

there is a theory that as soon as anyone finds out what the universe is and what its for it will instantly be replaced with something evenn more strange and unexplainable. . . . there is another theory that this has already happened

jonah – it’s only polite to attribute your quotes.
    The universe is shaped like a pretzel.

chvck
    Free Member

The universe is shapeless, as it’s just a simulation running on another species PC. A bit like a more sophisticated version of Sims. The other species’ universe is also shapeless, as it’s also a simulation, but just like us they haven’t realised that yet.

Can we take this a step further and make it circular i.e. the simulation that they’re in is being run in this universe

Xylene
    Free Member

The universe is expanding from whatever viewpoint you were to look at it. Doesn’t matter if you are here or in another galaxy far far away, it would still appear to be expanding.

bassspine
    Free Member

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it you think it’s real because that’s how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly coloured and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question: “Is this real, or is this just a ride?” And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey, don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride.” And we kill those people.

Bill Hicks

bassspine
    Free Member

Don’t be fooled by the idea of expansion into assuming it’s expanding like a balloon being inflated, it’s all expanding even the empty bits.

So, no, it’s not hollow.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

true neil sorry, by quote was from the great Douglas Adams

sslowpace
    Free Member

so, Dark Matter anyone……?

CountZero

It’s shaped like a Klein bottle. Or possibly even a hypersphere. More to the point, can someone translate chewk’s post, please? I sorta recognised the words, but not what they were trying to say.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Is the universe hollow ?’ is closed to new replies.