Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 781 total)
  • Is the UK a Christian Country?
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I’m practicing but can’t quite get the blindfolded light saber thing right yet, so kind of stuck on “day 1” really 😳

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

1. No lengthy history of large scale covering up and turning a blind eye to clergy all over the world abusing children.
    2. err.

with reference to Number (1) – Well, that’s really a criteria of exclusion. I think that’s an easy and perhaps trivial question. The interesting and more intellectually challenging one is the one i asked

What are your criteria for fitness to operate as a religion?

As far as number (2) is concerned, I’d always thought that was a criterion for humanity

Top.Dog
    Free Member

Have a look I sort of agree with this woman

alfabus
    Free Member

Top Dog – Member
    Have a look I sort of agree with this woman

that old crap again

crankboy
    Free Member

Did any one define what a christian country is?

Cos if the answer is following the teachings of Christ then i doubt it ever was.

If the answer is using bits of the bible out of context to justify greed and oppression then it was and in away still is.

But surely we should be aiming to move away from such divisive rubbish.

We know what happened when the Christians actually got power in this country
    “After the Parliamentarian victory in the Civil War, the Puritan views of the majority of Parliament and its supporters began to be imposed on the rest of the country. The Puritans advocated an austere lifestyle and restricted what they saw as the excesses of the previous regime. Most prominently, holidays such as Christmas and Easter were suppressed. Pastimes such as the theatre and gambling were also banned. However, some forms of art that were thought to be ‘virtuous’, such as opera, were encouraged.”

Nobody’s burning a hole in my tongue for ridding my bike on a Sunday.

Cougar

The problem with this question, IMHO, is that a lot of people “identify” as Christian when they are actually atheist / agnostic or otherwise uncaring. In the same way that people can tick the “nationality: British” box without requiring any real sense of patriotism, they’ll tick the “religion: Christian” box because they think they should rather than out of any deeply held religious beliefs.

We swear on the Bible, blaspheme, use churches for functions and “celebrate” Christian holidays largely out of habit. We’ve always done it that way(*). The oft lauded True Meaning of Christmas is nothing to do with Jesus for, I’ll hazard, the large majority of people; it’s about spending time with friends and family, and giving gifts.

The census, I believe, is an inaccurate way of gauging how “Christian” a country we are. It’s possibly more accurate at measuring other religions; they’re often more actively (aggressively even) followed, you don’t tend to get people paying lip service to, say, Islam in the same way that you do with Christianity in the UK.

I’m not saying that this is true for everyone of course. There’ll be plenty of actually devout people too, I just don’t think they represent the majority of UK “Christians” any more, and haven’t for quite a while.

(* – which, of course, is the worst reason to do anything)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

We know what happened when the Christians actually got power in this country

😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The problem with this question, IMHO, is that a lot of people “identify” as atheist when they are actually Christian or otherwise caring. In the same way that people can tick the “nationality: British” box without requiring any real sense of patriotism, they’ll tick the “religion: Atheist” box because they think they should rather than out of any deeply held beliefs.

v8ninety

That’s a very poor FTFY Charlie, it doesn’t really stand up at all. People who identify themselves as atheist have, in my experience, at least actively considered the question, as opposed to a lot of people who call themselves Christian…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

People who identify themselves as Christian have, in my experience, at least actively considered the question, as opposed to a lot of people who call themselves Atheist…

irc

I’ve checked of the first 20 Christmas cards lying around the room. None of them mention god or Christ in the text or have any angels depicted. It’s all scenes of snow, holly, cartoons, and jokey photographs.

If this is a Christian country the cards certainly don’t show it. It seems this winter event is about TV specials, presents, and good food and drink. God is a long way back bringing up the rear.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

How many of the 400,000 jedi are actually practicing jedi knights?

I am, if you don’t believe me check my facebook page it says so there so if its facebook official its official.

Cougar

is that a lot of people “identify” as atheist when they are actually Christian

Name one.

I take your point but, well, how can I put this politely, it’s nonsense.

People who identify themselves as Christian have, in my experience, at least actively considered the question, as opposed to a lot of people who call themselves Atheist…

Without external influence, atheism is the default belief system. you may be correct in lazily suggesting that some people haven’t considered Christianity or a.n.other religion, however that doesn’t mean that they’re misrepresenting their beliefs by describing themselves as atheist or ‘don’t care.’ It’s not a like-for-like comparison, and turning the comment around to imply that it is is disingenuous.

Junkyard
    Free Member

they’ll tick the “religion: Atheist” box because they think they should rather than out of any deeply held beliefs.

i am so glad all the ones who pick a religion are devout and avid followers of their religion rather than just ticking the one they were born into irrespective of actual conviction or practisingness.

v8ninety

If your going to ‘fix’ my posts and misquote me, Charlie, at least have the decency to ‘quote’ my initial statement… See you’re just confusing people now…

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Without external influence, atheism is the default belief system.

Excellent! That means that all religious ideas must have started from an external influence. Hmmmm….

you may be correct in lazily suggesting that some people haven’t considered Christianity or a.n.other religion, however that doesn’t mean that they’re misrepresenting their beliefs by describing themselves as atheist or ‘don’t care.’

Actually, I’m lazily suggesting that you are posting stuff which is unsupported conjecture.

It’s not a like-for-like comparison, and turning the comment around to imply that it is is disingenuous

Just rolling out the unsupported conjectures

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve checked of the first 20 Christmas cards lying around the room. None of them mention god or Christ in the text or have any angels depicted. It’s all scenes of snow, holly, cartoons, and jokey photographs.

Not exactly a scientifically conducted survey is it :mrgreen:

(although some here would say it more accurate than the census!)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If your going to ‘fix’ my posts and misquote me, Charlie, at least have the decency to ‘quote’ my initial statement… See you’re just confusing people now…

erm…I didn’t ‘fix’ your posts

Northwind

CharlieMungus – Member

they’ll tick the “religion: Atheist” box because they think they should rather than out of any deeply held beliefs.

This is absolute genius really- it’s the absence of deeply held beliefs that makes them an atheist!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

This is absolute genius really- it’s the absence of deeply held beliefs that makes them an atheist!

Atheism isn’t a belief? What is it ? Knowledge? A fact?

aracer
    Free Member

I presume from what you’ve written that you’re an atheist. Clearly you have very considerate friends who don’t want to offend you with religious messages.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve checked of the first 20 Christmas cards lying around the room. None of them mention god or Christ

aracer
    Free Member

it’s the absence of deeply held beliefs that makes them an atheist!

You should try checking the definition of atheism.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You should try checking the definition of atheism

or any of the previous ‘religion argument’ threads

Northwind

aracer – Member

You should try checking the definition of atheism.

Ah, are you one of those people that pretends atheism is an act of faith, rather than an absence of faith? The definition is “without god”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

is that a lot of people “identify” as atheist when they are actually Christian
    Name one.

Stewart.

Now you name an atheist who ‘identifies’ as Christian

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ah, are you one of those people that pretends atheism is an act of faith, rather than an absence of faith?

I didn’t say ‘faith’ I said belief, you would have noticed that if you had answered the questions

Northwind

CharlieMungus; that comment was to Aracer. Hang on, I’ll edit in a quote box, I see you got a post inbetween them which is causing confusion- sorry for sloppy posting!

Northwind

CharlieMungus – Member

Atheism isn’t a belief? What is it ? Knowledge? A fact?

Theism is belief in a god. Atheism is the absence of belief in a god. Not an act of faith or belief, but the absence of the act of faith or belief.

I know some people struggle with this and there are various interpretations of atheism, but this- “negative atheism” as some call it- seems to be the most common. As far as I can tell, the discussion seems to come from an assumption on the part of some that religion is the default state, and that you either choose a religion or you choose to opt out; whereas the godless would say that godlessness is the default state and you opt into a particular god.

Cougar

Excellent! That means that all religious ideas must have started from an external influence. Hmmmm….

Don’t be obtuse, that’s not what I’m saying. People in don’t spontaneously hold the belief of an organised religion, someone ‘taught’ that belief system to them.

Actually, I’m lazily suggesting that you are posting stuff which is unsupported conjecture.

Yes, I am, I never claimed anything else. If you were being less lazy, you might’ve noticed that I explicitly said (several times) that I was voicing an opinion, not stating fact. Calling it conjecture doesn’t make it any less valid an opinion. Nice try, though.

Stewart.

Now you name an atheist who ‘identifies’ as Christian

Most of my older family.

Assuming ‘Stewart’ actually exists, could you elaborate on his beliefs? Genuine question, I’m curious.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Don’t be obtuse, that’s not what I’m saying. People in don’t spontaneously hold the belief of an organised religion, someone ‘taught’ that belief system to them.

Fine, I’m not disagreeing with that! In fact i think lots of people share that view.

Stewart, calls himself an atheist, but underlying it all , he still has a tribal Christian instinct.
    I’m interested in how your older family call themselves Christian if they say they don’t believe in a god

Yes, I am, I never claimed anything else. If you were being less lazy, you might’ve noticed that I explicitly said (several times) that I was voicing an opinion, not stating fact. Calling it conjecture doesn’t make it any less valid an opinion. Nice try, though.

erm… calling it conjecture wasn’t an attempt to make your opinion less valid. I don’t see how it could do that.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, I am, I never claimed anything else. If you were being less lazy, you might’ve noticed that I explicitly said (several times) that I was voicing an opinion, not stating fact

Ah, so were you being lazy when you challenged Charlie for evidence for something prefaced with IMHO?

“Now you name an atheist who ‘identifies’ as Christian”

Most of my older family.

Got evidence for that?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Atheism is the absence of belief in a god. Not an act of faith or belief, but the absence of the act of faith or belief.

This sounds more like agnosticism, you don’t believe in a God, but that is a statement in the negative, paralleled by the possibility that you don’t believe there is no God. That’s ok as a stance, but i wonder if it is what you mean.

As far as I can tell, the discussion seems to come from an assumption on the part of some that religion is the default state, and that you either choose a religion or you choose to opt out; whereas the godless would say that godlessness is the default state and you opt into a particular god.

Well, I think the opting really depends on your exposure / indoctrination to the ideas. Folks are generally less likely to opt out of ideas which they have been brought up with. For most this involves a ‘there is a god’ or ‘there is no god’ very few have neither of those, and most have an opinion either way. I think you are unusual in that you don’t.

Northwind

CharlieMungus – Member

This sounds more like agnosticism, you don’t believe in a God, but that is a statement in the negative, paralleled by the possibility that you don’t believe there is no God

No- agnosticism is the belief that there may be a god, it’s a step away from the default position of no belief at all.

“Not believing in god” isn’t a belief, any more than “not kicking a football” is a sport. Which is a shame because that’s a sport Scotland could be great at.

There are atheists who do choose to treat their godlessness almost like a religion, of course. Preachers of godlessness, strange thing. However, this idea that there’s a religion-shaped hole in us which you either fill with a religion, or with disbelief, is false. Rather we’re made up of a lot of building blocks, and for some of us there’s a belief block. And for some people, there’s a disbelief block. Positive atheism. For others still, there’s neither. Negative atheism.

The vocabulary is crap, to be fair. I’m kind of with Sam Harris, I don’t think negative atheism should need a word at all. There isn’t a word for people who don’t ride bikes, you’re just a cyclist or you’re not.

Cougar

he still has a tribal Christian instinct.

I’m not sure what you mean by that?

I don’t see how it could do that.

Glad we cleared that up.

Ah, so were you being lazy when you challenged Charlie for evidence for something prefaced with IMHO?

Perhaps.

Got evidence for that?

That I can reproduce here? No.

aracer
    Free Member

That I can reproduce here? No.

Do try not to use unsubstantiated statements to support your arguments.

Cougar

Do try not to use unsubstantiated statements to support your arguments.

“I cannot reproduce on the Internet” != “unsubstantiated.”

“Voicing an opinion” != “argument.”

aracer
    Free Member

“I cannot reproduce on the Internet” != “unsubstantiated.”

As far as anybody reading this forum is concerned it is.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

As far as anybody reading this forum is concerned it is.

To be fair I doubt whether there’s much more than just the 4 of you still reading this thread. So if he’s failed to convinced the other 3 I can’t see that representing a huge problem.

nick1962
    Free Member

I know nobody with any sense is still reading this anymore but here’s my twopenneth

TandemJeremy – Member

So if we were a Christian county instead of a country with some christians in it we surely would base our law on church law and scripture.

so lets see – and end to people accumulating vast amounts of wealth

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

NO more interst on loans

If you lend money to any of My people who are poor among you, you shall not be like a moneylender to him; you shall not charge him interest

Criminal law would be come more entertaining

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.”

Homosexuality? well tht sort of nonsense would have to stop

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Posted 9 hours ago #

These are Old Testament quotes that not even Jews follow any more. The point that Jesus made was that there was a new covenant. Do you really think if Christ was around today he would go anywhere near any of the organised religions?

Will you stop and help a fellow rider in trouble?
    Yes?
    That’s one of the tenets of Christianity and I’m pretty sure that most people on here have an ethical belief and value system based on Christian principles. Forget about the church,fundamentalists, the Spanish inquisiton etc .Nearly 2,000 years ago Christians were one of the only voices in the West to espouse most of the values I hear put forward on this site daily and I’m not talking about single speed and what tyres.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘Is the UK a Christian Country?’ is closed to new replies.