• This topic has 505 replies, 107 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 506 total)
  • Is the term ‘jungle drums’ racist?
  • kerley
    Free Member

Harassing someone for making a complaint is quite likely to get you fired, regardless of how minor the original offence was.

Yep, and add race into it and it just increases the seriousness in regards to how the company have to deal with it to protect themselves.

BruceWee

Was the talk of the depot all day which was a bit akward and I received a few calls of support from a couple of the other depots who had heard what happened.

The question is how did the complaint to HR become common knowledge? Aren’t these things supposed to be confidential?

easily
    Free Member

@Cougar

Are we talking about the Danny Baker thread here?

binners

The question is how did the complaint to HR become common knowledge?

Maybe HR are all mountain bikers?

kerley
    Free Member

The question is how did the complaint to HR become common knowledge? Aren’t these things supposed to be confidential?

The complainant informed the OP, guessing everyone else heard about it via the jungle drums as they say.

Cougar

Are we talking about the Danny Baker thread here?

No, but there was that too. It was one on gender.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Envisage if you will, for one moment, that you are an innocent, naive interstellar traveller to a planet named ‘earth’. Imagine that your name is ‘Angelo’, and that your sanity and reference-points are represented by a small bird perched atop your head.

Now envisage this thread as a bald, overweight man in a pink onesie:

brownsauce
    Free Member

But when the OP starts talking about other people agreeing with him, it starts to sound like harassment of the complainant.

It sounds like nothing of the sort to me ,  to go from words of support from workmates who  agree you did nothing wrong and somehow interpret that as harassment towards the person who made the complaint shows some very muddled thinking on your part…..

binners

null

Edukator
    Free Member

I followed the threads Cougar is refering to. I dipped out of one as it went of the rails because I like all the protagonists and they all had valid points but perhaps made them badly. The other I watched and made a late lamenting contribution.

There’s was one point made back then that is relevant here:

That’s an attack, not an apology.

Take note, OP. Any apology needs to be sincere and unambiguous.

funkmasterp

Maybe HR are all mountain bikers?

In the chat forum? More likely to be owners of gravel bikes surely

scaredypants

WOw – still going

APologies for the raking of old embers but I missed last night’s later content and wanted to see if we had an outcome today:

No? You don’t think it’s a bit rich trying to define what is and isn’t racist or racially offensive, when you’re white in a historically white country? I used that term very carefully, to make a specific point. I’m not just pulling it out of the generic woke insult bag.

So although some people might use those terms in a certain way, you’re saying that you didn’t intend it in that way and so I’m being stupid and over-sensitive to suggest that you might* ?

<looks back to post #1> I see – it’s parody, right ?? 😂

*I was referring to general use of the terms rather than specifically yours but hey, you go ahead and Molsplain it to me all you like – debate’s good and maybe I can make you appreciate the perspective of someone who’s been ground down by a lifetime of daily exposure to lazy, platitudinous claptrap

FWIW, I agree that the issue of racism has more than one perspective and I’d defend the co-worker’s right to be offended. I don’t, however, accept that the OP is automatically guilty of anything other than ignorance of the possible interpretation and that is not grounds for requiring an apology unless it was much, much more overt than is presented. (If the retrospective description of their response is accurate, yeah, maybe that merits an apology for insensitivity – not racism IMO). If it was a term that was universally accepted as offensive by relevant people, I think we’d all be aware already (after all, we’ve had 2 opinions on here – one mortally offended and one “WTF are they on about” – oh, and chewy 🤖 !!)

Similarly, if the co-worker’s initial “interjection” was anything like “you (whatever) racist” with a bit of pointing, facing-up or whatever, then that is arguably more provocative and maybe they might reconsider their part in this too.

None of us knows the actual circumstances or importantly, manner of delivery of either part in this so telling anyone it’s all their fault is pointless

I retain my opinion that accusing someone of “-splaining” is an attempt to de-legitimise their opinion and shut them down, not to explain discuss and educate about any issue as you claim to see as the preferred approach.

Cougar

Take note, OP. Any apology needs to be sincere and unambiguous.

I rather fear that that ship has sailed. A sincere apology now is likely to met with “you’re only saying that because I made a formal complaint.”

fossy

What a complete mess. I work in a very diverse organisation, I doubt the original issue would have come up at all if said in an open office. Good luck OP and I hope this get’s sorted.

hols2
    Free Member

to go from words of support from workmates who agree you did nothing wrong and somehow interpret that as harassment towards the person who made the complaint shows some very muddled thinking on your part…..

My point is that the OP could very easily lose his job over this unless he starts taking it seriously. The “words of support” can easily turn into harassment of the complainant. For company lawyers, just sacking the OP will start to look like the simplest way to avoid a potential lawsuit over harassment.

MarkyG82

just sacking the OP will start to look like the simplest way to avoid a potential lawsuit over harassment.

It may but if the report of how things panned out are accurate from the OP then the company may be in hotter water for dismissing someone in this manner.
    An apology from the OP for not offering a suitable response initially and an apology from the complainant for taking it so far so soon would be the most productive outcome I think.

Edukator
    Free Member

and an apology from the complainant for taking it so far so soon

I don’t think the complainant needs to apologise for anything. He followed normal procedure, he went to HR.

MarkyG82

He followed normal procedure, he went to HR.

Most (if not all) places I’ve worked the procedure has been to go through line management first. May well be different for yours or his organisation.

Cougar

Most (if not all) places I’ve worked the procedure has been to go through line management first. May well be different for yours or his organisation.

Good point.

We’re in the middle of a situation at the moment which I can’t really go into detail about as it’s ongoing, but a member of my team took it upon themselves to go directly to HR over something which could readily have been sorted out ‘in house’ if he’s spoken to our boss first and been straight about what he wanted. It’s caused a right old shitstorm. Cans open, wormageddon.

Edukator
    Free Member

No need to go through line management for issues such as racism:

https://www.acas.org.uk/racehate

When you read that I’ll think you’ll find the complainant was very conservative in his approach. Nothing to apologise for.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I don’t think the complainant needs to apologise for anything. He followed normal procedure, he went to HR.

Dunno, he could have had a quiet word with the OP, explained what bothered him and why, OP could have explained his side and they could have parted friends, with a greater understanding of each other. When did adults become infants, completely unable to negotiate life around other people without having to run to the teacher all the time?

Edukator
    Free Member

When did adults become infants,

So now you’re calling the complainant, a victim of racism, an infant, cromolyolly.

benv
    Free Member

Update – I had my interview this morning as part of the investigation process. Before hand they sent me a copy of the disciplinary procedure and let me know I could take a representative or colleague with me to the interview which I did (a colleague to take notes on my behalf). My impression from the get go was that this was not about finding out facts about what happened, it was more about trying to get an outcome that upheld the complaint. They were not interested in any context or lack of intent to offend, and some of the assertions they made and questions they had were unbelievable. They could not see their own hypocrisy when I pointed out that some of what they were saying could also be taken as offensive should I wish to do so. At the end of the interview they stated that they thought there was enough to proceed to a disciplinary hearing and that’s what they will be recommending. I would be informed formally in writing within 48hrs. They then pointed out the part of the discplinary procedure that showed the outcome from that could be summary dismissal.

There was a lot to take in and process after the interview and I went over the notes a few times with my colleague who to be honest looked a bit in shock about how it went so god knows what I must have looked like. I called by manager and went through it with him, he didn’t seem too bothered or offered much in way of support, only that he was adamant that it was out of his hands and I was to follow through and cooperate with the process and see where it leads to. I hung around at work for a while after that but just felt like shite so I went away for a bit. I called my partner and had a good talk with her which cheered me up somewhat.

To start the week on a high, happy and excited about a lot of new work coming up in the new year to 4 days later sick to the stomach and feeling like I was being flung under a bus isn’t something I was prepared for. Came quickly to the conclusion that I didn’t need any of it, and wont be letting anyone try and label me as something I know I’m not. To continue working for a company where you are nothing more than a number on a spreadsheet, and with something like this marked on my file regardless of how it turns out doesn’t appeal to me at all. I went back into work, emailed in my resignation informing them it’s with immediate effect, said my goodbyes and left laptop and phone with reception and went home.

Might be a total toys out the pram momement, only time will tell, feel pretty good about the decision at the moment though.

All you lot in Motherwell who I’m sure will be reading this – thanks for your support and kind words this week, means a lot – cheers! And yes, I’ll still be going to the Christmas night out!

nonk
    Free Member

Yep I couldn’t work in a place like that
    Good luck man

Sui
    Free Member

WTF Benv that’s sh17, maybe edukator and brucwee are the HR department in disguise.. You sound much better out of that place with those type of people running it looking for a way to make a name for themselves..

Proper c u next Tuesdays all around..

tjagain

IMO thata a complete over reaction. You really needed a union rep there to support you. A lot of what you have complained about happening is standard operating procedure for investigations and disciplinary and I still stand by the comment that serious sanctions were very unlikely unless there is a lot more you haven’t told us. An informal warning and a note on your file that is removed after a few months is nothing at all ad would be the most likely outcome

Investigations and disciplinary are very unpleasant processes. thats just the way they are.

“They then pointed out the part of the disciplinary procedure that showed the outcome from that could be summary dismissal.” Legally required for them to say that because they need to warn you and that anything else would be prejudging the outcome. completely normal to say that once and investigation has something to proceed to disciplinary

Moral of the tale is:

JOIN A UNION! You would have had support who could have explained things to you and stopped you going off the deep end seeing things that are not there. You would also have someone to represent you at disciplinary.

I have been thru a bunch of disciplinary as the person being disciplined, as a manager and as a union rep.

funkmasterp

So now you’re calling the complainant, a victim of racism, an infant, cromolyolly.

He wasn’t a victim of racism though was he Edukator? He perceived racist intent where, as far as we know, none was present. The two things are quite different, but I reckon you already knew that didn’t you?

brownsauce
    Free Member

Terrible turn of events there Benv , sorry to hear of the shoddy handling of the incident by your employers..

I may have taken external advice of this situation before quitting but if youre happier walking then good luck.

In the real world no-one likes a trouble maker at work whom sets out to lose someone their job so hopefully a bit of karma is coming the way of the complainant.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If it’s happened how you said it happened, and you are disclosing everything then you have been well and truly shafted ..

I’d consider speaking to a lawyer. An accusation you may be a racist hanging over you is grounds for constructive dismissal I reckon..

Take a scrap of comfort from the fact that The guy that complained will probably find work a pretty uncomfortable place moving forward if all your co workers are sympathetic to your situation.

tjagain

Its not even close to constructive dismissal. Nowhere near. Not even in the same room

benv
    Free Member

Regarding the grievence process – according to the companies own procedure he could have either –

1. Taken the issue up first informally with me direct either by himself or anyone else he chooses on his behalf to have a word with me to see if it could be resolved satisfactorily.
    2. Raised it with his manager or mine or one level higher up to do same as above and outcome recorded.
    3. Raise a formal grievence.

Posting up links to advice about race hate is taking the piss. But do as you please.

BruceWee

In the real world no-one likes a trouble maker at work whom sets out to lose someone their job so hopefully a bit of karma is coming the way of the complainant.

**** me, do you have any idea how sinister that sounds?

What is the appropriate karma for an uppity black these days? Same as it was in the seventies?

kennyp
    Free Member

When you read that I’ll think you’ll find the complainant was very conservative in his approach. Nothing to apologise for.

Perhaps the complainant should apologise for causing someone to resign from their job, with all the financial loss and emotional turmoil that entails, all for deciding to take pretend offence at a purely innocent remark.

A situation that could easily have been settled by a quick friendly chat and a shake of the hands.

I hope the complainant is happy with himself. If I worked there I would now avoid talking to him in case he stirs up more trouble.

brownsauce
    Free Member

What is the appropriate karma for an uppity black these days? Same as it was in the seventies?

You assume , incorrectly , that my comment applies to , or is aimed at , only persons of colour or ethnic minority , it doesnt so stop being a drama queen looking to create your hysterical  racist accusation

tjagain

The attitudes on here show why investigations and disciplinarys have clearly set out rules that are objective and fair to all.

so much misunderstanding of what happened and how the process works

So much misunderstanding of what racism is and making racist comments does not require any intent nor is intent inferred.

benv
    Free Member

I am sure I could have seen it out and ‘won’ so to speak if I put in the time and effort, I’m even sure there would have been someone somewhere willing to take me on as a case and persue my employers in worst case scenario. Thought about both, but if I feel this bad after just a few days of this hanging over me, I would be utterly done in going through anything like that.

I have enough savings to get me through the first half of next year if need be, and other options should I somehow need to go longer. But there is work out there that companies (including the competition) are struggling to recruit for in this period of uncertainty, so I don’t think I’ll be unemployed for long. Seems like the most stress free decision and best option for me both short and long term.

The situation has certainly opened my eyes, and that of several others. I’ve taken away a few lessons away anyway.

Can’t say I have much sympathy for the complainant and whatever circumstances he finds himself in now. He made his choices, they weren’t mine to make. It’s a fairly small, isolated and tightly knit workforce in that part of the company, and I don’t doubt for a minute that there will be some ill feeling and mistrust aimed at him after this week. Don’t wish the guy any harm, still have no idea the extent of his anger or main reason for it in the first place, and I’ve been offered no insight. I certainly have no idea what’s going through his head now, but I’ll sleep easy knowing at least I did offer a sincere opportunity to make things right.

Sui
    Free Member

+1 brownsource

I was trying to write the same thing but figured my post would get caught fully in the sweat filter… 🙄

funkmasterp

So much misunderstanding of what racism is and making racist comments does not require any intent nor is intent inferred.

I normally agree with your points of view TJ, but not in this instance. As far as we know no racist comments were made ergo no racism intended or otherwise. OP used a well known phrase to describe something, that’s it. Doesn’t matter either way now any way as it is resolved. I feel sorry for all parties involved.

BruceWee

You assume , incorrectly , that my comment applies to , or is aimed at , only persons of colour or ethnic minority , it doesnt so stop being a drama queen looking to create your hysterical racist accusation

Fine, let’s take race out of it. You still haven’t said what an appropriate level of karma would be.

Shunning? Workplace ‘accident’? ‘Random’ attack in the street? ‘Random’ attack on his family?

I’m curious what level of cosmic revenge you think would be appropriate.

funkmasterp

I’m curious what level of cosmic revenge you think would be appropriate.

Wee in shoes?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘Is the term ‘jungle drums’ racist?’ is closed to new replies.