Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Is the new classifieds forum hardly used or am I only seeing some of the posts?
  • Poopscoop

I usually look at the old forum to be honest.

Anyway…. Leaving all the watch filters empty and just doing a search I hardly see any recent posts and after scrolling down them I’m into posts a few months old!

I’d the forum just not being used or is it still filtering results even though I am just doing an unfiltered search?

FYI, I’ve only looked at the new forum on an android mobile.

oldnpastit

It’s a feature. You can pay money and your ad floats to the top. So all the old adverts that people pay for get stuck up there, kind of like the dead stuff that floats at the top of a stagnant pond.

Scroll down further and you see the newer stuff.

It’s a feature.

bruneep

I don’t view it as a P user I still see adverts on that classified. section.

I guess that’s another feature

nuke

Never bother looking at the new classifieds as im just so use to the old classifieds…just so use to having the classifieds as part of the forum sections and i can skim the original classifieds far faster than the new one with pics

velocipede
    Free Member

I really don’t like it at all…..I might just be a laggard but I really liked the old section…..

Poopscoop

Ok guys, thanks for info, guess I’ll have to get used to it.lol

spooky_b329

I didn’t even realise it was there, despite reading a couple of tongue in cheek comments about how great the new classifieds are!

nixie

Ads only last 10 days on the new classifieds.

The old one needs turning off. Many are not using the new one because the old one is still there!

lister

Many still look at the old one because it’s better!

Betamax
    Free Member

I often skim the old section, rarely the new one. I don’t know why but going through the new one seems a bit of a chore

PJay
    Free Member

I don’t think that it’s helped by the fact that there’s no link to it in the Forum menu or header and you have to access it via the link in the announcement thread (unless you’ve got it saved as a favourite).

bri-72

Don’t like new either but wish they’d settle on one or other, having both makes no sense. And if it’s the new one get it to link from forum headers etc like the current one.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Old one is much better – I rarely look at the new one, it just seems cluttered & non chronological.

flyingmonkeycorps

I don’t think that it’s helped by the fact that there’s no link to it in the Forum menu or header and you have to access it via the link in the announcement thread (unless you’ve got it saved as a favourite).

It’s in the main header. Well it is on my desktop Chrome, anyway. Pretty sure it’s in the main hamburger menu on mobile.

cjr61

Old one is much better – I rarely look at the new one, it just seems cluttered & non chronological.

This exactly!

thenorthwind

Yeah, I’m just too used to clicking “For Sale” on the list of forums for a quick flick through after I’ve wasted enough time on the main forums but can’t quite bring myself to do some actual work yet. I’ll occasionally remember and have a look at the new one, but it doesn’t seem to get used much.

If the old classifieds was taken off, I’d probably use the new one more, but I’m not sure whether that would be a good thing or not. Makes no sense having both though.

martinhutch

The old one needs turning off. Many are not using the new one because the old one is still there!

The new one is worse than the old one in terms of functionality, IMO. It takes me seconds to skim through a couple of pages of titles on the old one. If they turn off the old one, I won’t be visiting the new version with anything like the same frequency.

The first pageful seems to be never-changing on the new one, didn’t realise there was a payment option. I don’t need to see a thumbnail of a chainring, and I imagine that most sellers find it a pain to supply one for everything.

kelron
    Free Member

It’s buried under 3 layers of menus on mobile which doesn’t help.

onandon
    Free Member

New sales site sucks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really doing it for me either.

Good idea and better functionality in a lot of ways but doesn’t yet have the depth of content to make the functionality worthwhile, if that makes sense.

If they turned the old ones off I’d probably not bother with the new TBH.

weeksy

DOn’t use the new one… ever.

If they turned the old ones off I’d probably not bother with the new TBH.

That.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I tried to have a look at it, and gave up.

scaled
    Free Member

The whole point of the singletrack classifieds for me is looking for things that I don’t need to buy. I’m interested in what people are selling, how much they’re asking for it and the like.  It’s a browsing experience for me, and every now and then i see something that I’ve just got to have.

The new site doesn’t provide a browsing experience that I enjoy, being able to filter and search (can you do that?!) are of no value

Andy

New Classifieds page doesnt really work for me.

The Boosted ads are a distraction. On my PC there are 20 Boosted Ads on there at the moment. All but 3 are over a week old. The oldest is 2 months old. Its tedious having to scroll through all of them to see the current stuff. The boosted ads are then repeated on the rh side of my PC screen for some reason. I’m not really even sure what a “Boosted” ad is? Apologies if I haven’t noticed where the explanation is.

Each Ad also takes up a lot of screen space which means I have to scroll down a lot to see whats for sale. What I like about the old page is the ability to scroll quickly through a couple of pages. On my phone its worse as each ad takes up half a page.

Its confusing having 2 Classifieds pages, but I would prefer the old one wasn’t switched off because of the reasons above.

Overall the classifieds seem a lot quieter these days. I have just had a massive clearout of tons of spares (about 200 parts) I have accumulated over the last 10 years. I used Ebay for this as it just seems easier to use and the recent spate of continuous Final Value Fee Promotions every weekend makes it much more viable.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s an excellent point, I do that too!

STW are at risk of losing their own USP in a bid to be more like PB perheps?

njee20
    Free Member

I had no idea there was a new classified page until this thread, even then I had to go looking for it!

finbar
    Free Member

It’s balls. I thought I wasn’t using it properly as I always saw the same five old posts on the top, but as others have stated, that’s a ‘feature’.

Counter to one commentator above, the Pinkbike classifieds are perfectly decent (critically they are dead easy to sort chronologically, and that meme on here about getting offered swapsies for an XBox 1 is pretty tired) – the STW one is using the same architecture as Road.CC, and their classifieds are **** too.

vinnyeh

I had no idea there was a new classified page until this thread, even then I had to go looking for it!

Really? If you go to the drop down ‘Channels’ in the top menu, then it’s listed there, just above the ‘Canyon” channel.

Anyone know why there’s a ‘Canyon’ channel?

There’s also a stickie in the old classifieds informing of the new classifieds, largely full of comments about how much of an improvement the new classifieds are. And a request from somebody to turn the old classifieds off because nobody is using the new classifieds because the old classifieds are still doing the job quite well, thank you very much.

cooie

Agreed, PB classifieds are fine, but the new ones here are awful. I much prefer the old ones, as they are so much easier to browse.

martinhutch

Anyone know why there’s a ‘Canyon’ channel?

Sponsored content, I imagine. I hadn’t noticed it before, TBH.

cjr61

Get rid of the boosted ads. They’re the biggest issue as it makes it hard to browse the new stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

Really? If you go to the drop down ‘Channels’ in the top menu, then it’s listed there, just above the ‘Canyon” channel.

I’ve never looked at the channels drop down either! But then I’ve never bought anything on the classifieds, and only sold a handful of things, so I don’t go looking for it. When I saw ‘new classifieds’ I presumed it had replaced the old one, so went to the forum dropdown, but obviously that’s not where it is. It does have its own tab. I don’t like it, but then I’m not using it, so meh.

jeff

I created an ad to sell my van, it was £10? for me to list it for a limited duration. I wanted to think whether this is VFM.

I now have an advert in limbo – I cannot pay to activate it, it’s just ‘inactive pending payment’

Not a fan of the new classifieds tbh

As a P, it would be nice to get a free advert or two a year.

chakaping
    Free Member

I created an ad to sell my van, it was £10? for me to list it for a limited duration. I wanted to think whether this is VFM.

Well I don’t want to piss on their chips, but you can post for free in the old classifieds and it’s probably getting more eyeballs.

scotroutes

The special irony is that the ads plaguing the top of the new area for longest are those that are overpriced and hence not selling quickly.

I can see the purpose from STWs viewpoint though – it’s another income stream.

DezB
    Free Member

I preferred the old browse and have a nose format of the old one too. I hate change, me.

Seriously though, when I’m gonna sell something I upload pics straight from my phone to postimg.org. Then if I want to sell it on the new classifieds I have to upload them again to the forum. Bit nuts that. Ah well, it’s free (unless you wanna join the clutter, I mean boost).

ads678

I also didn’t realise the top ads in the new classifieds were boosted/paid ads either and just thought it wasn’t very well used.

Can’t really be arsed having to search for stuff, i usually just browse the old for sale and wanted forums to see if something takes my fancy or if I have something someone needs.

I like the fact you have to put photos in ads but it would be better if clicking on the front page pic actually took you to the ad as well.

russyh
    Free Member

I liked it initially then fell foul of the ridiculous  rules As to number of ads (despite paying for my ‘P’) then get bored scrolling through loads of overpriced bikes in the ‘paid’ ads.  I have given up.  Much prefer the old classified forum.  It just works.  Leave the other style for pinkbike I say

thepodge
    Free Member

That’s an excellent point, I do that too!

STW are at risk of losing their own USP in a bid to be more like PB perheps?

Except Pinkbike is much better

winston
    Free Member

Hate it.

Don’t want to keep scrolling past that picture of a flippin Spectral or the overpriced T5 conversion, don’t like the ads and just generally don’t like the way it looks or to be honest the stuff on it – seems to attract different sellers

Much prefer the old site – seems more trustworthy and more immediate, like a notice board

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Is the new classifieds forum hardly used or am I only seeing some of the posts?’ is closed to new replies.