Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Is the Minion SS still the best tyre for its job?
  • luket

Following on from this thread but a bit of a tangent so thought better not hijack…

Minion SS is only available in either 2.3, which apparently doesn’t play nicely with 30mm rims, or in 2.5WT it’s only in soft compounds and wire bead c.1.35kg.

Used these for years in 26″ EXO and liked them a lot, fast but grippy where it counts. I’m in the market for something that does the same job on a 27.5 30mm rim. I’d also like it to be a bit tougher than EXO on the carcass front – I’ve punctured EXOs too much on this bike. Maybe the 2.5WT MaxxGrip would do but that’s a big step up in weight etc and I think I’m after a middle ground. 2.4-2.5 c.1kg, like a SS version of the 2.4WT DHR EXO+ I have, maybe.

Rock Razor Super Gravity looks like an option in 2.35 but what else is out there and which models exactly would you suggest?

sirromj
    bruneep

**shameless ad** got a brand new minion SS 27.5 in garage if you want one

Northwind

Rock Razor was always the better tyre imo and still is, more grip in more situations. Pretty unfussy about rim profile too.

(I haven’t tried the new carcasses with the Rock Razor, and I’m going to try not to- the Super Trail carcass is proper shite “Let’s take a puncturey tyre and add sidewall strength but not central protection so it still punctures easily but is heavier”, cheers for that. But the old Supergravity is absolutely superb and the Snakeskin was alright if you can get away with such a lightweight tyre.)

Haven’t tried the very latest Slaughter but the last one I did was pretty disappointing, not sure why but the pedalling traction was way worse than the competition and I never felt like there was any tradeoff, if it did anything better than a rockrazor or minion I never noticed.

zerocool

The e13 one looks nice.

luket

What’s the deal with the Schwalbe new carcasses?

Is this a new one? Does “Super Gravity” stay the same in the new range as it used to be? It does sound about right. Does “EVO” mean the new ones?

Bit of a lack of UK sellers and guessing import duty/VAT/delivery cost impact is prohibitive on a small order at the mo.

chakaping
    Free Member

See if you can grab an older super gravity rock razor, the 2.35 is fine on 30mm rims.

Not tried the new schwalbe carcasses but the old SG was the Goldilocks carcass for me.

BillOddie

Minion SS is only available in either 2.3, which apparently doesn’t play nicely with 30mm rims

It does get a bit square.

The normal 2.3 DHF has the middle knobs that it’s ok on that wide a rim but the SS doesn’t. This means when just riding along you’re on the side knobs and they are now in a less ideal place for corners too, just feels a bit odd.

Bloody great on a 25mm rim though, I had a spare older wheel with an old 25mm Flow with one mounted on permanently for rapid swaps.

kelvin

What Bill said.

andy4d

I agree with Northwind that the rock razor is a good tyre (I ran it on a 25mm for trail center stuff). I have just changed  it for a minion ss, just to try something else, as it was wearing out a bit. So not been  able to compare yet.

the00
    Free Member

I could cry… For so long I’ve wanted a rock razor 29 super gravity. Relying on the Schwalbe website I didn’t think it existed. But this thread has prompted a thorough search, and they’re listed available at a number of vendors.

Having been stung a few times by incorrectly described items, can I just check… Is this real?

intheborders
    Free Member

Rock Razor Super Gravity looks like an option in 2.35 but what else is out there and which models exactly would you suggest?

I’ve run both the RR and Minion SS. The RR I find comes up a bit ’round’ whereas the SS is more ‘square’. I think that the squareness helps it get traction more due to the sharper ‘edge’ of the tread on any kinda lean.

MY HT currently has the SS in and I ran it on my FS through the first lockdown. Works in anything except deep mud, which we don’t have a lot of, but very resistant to rocks/roots which we’ve loads of.

tall_martin

Specialized Slaughter Grid 2blis?

These on the back of my mtbs when its summer 🙂

All the free speed with some of the traction

mjsmke

What about an ardent on the back? I used a 2.25 on a 25mm rim for years and liked it. I’d love a 2.3 on a 30mm rim but they don’t exist. Maybe the 2.4 would be ok but might be too big to match a 2.3 DHF on the front.

Northwind

the00
    Free Member

I could cry… For so long I’ve wanted a rock razor 29 super gravity. Relying on the Schwalbe website I didn’t think it existed. But this thread has prompted a thorough search, and they’re listed available at a number of vendors.

Having been stung a few times by incorrectly described items, can I just check… Is this real?

They definitely exist, I have 3 of ’em. And they are bloody brilliant.

Though whether your listing is for the old, tried and tested excellent one or the new supergravity which may or may not be as good, who knows?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m with the others. The Minion SS carcass is too square. It feels reluctant to lean and the side knobs touching the ground all the time adds lots of drag. Unless you’re running lots of pressure, it’s far too easy to make it squirm in a corner on cue. Not a fan.

Rock Razor in the most appropriate casing.

the00
    Free Member

33 quid, so either way I’m happy… As long as it’s super gravity.

pothead
    Free Member

Rock Razor super gravity, just be aware they can be a pain in the a*** to fit when new

luket

I’ve picked up a Rock Razor Super Gravity off eBay for £35. Addix soft with the stripe, so I think it’s the new one but it’s just a stock photo so we’ll see. I won’t be too sad if it’s the old one, if that is anyway a really good option. Ebay vs proper shop was a big price difference.

campfreddie
    Free Member

I’m a massive fan of the Rock Razor and have been running them for many years on my UK trail bikes and also out here in Madeira on Enduro bikes. For UK trail centres, it is a genuine year-round tyre.

I recently changed my Madeira bike to one that came with DHR II’s and swapped out the rear for a Minion SS… utterly terrifying on anything other than bone dry. It is now sat on the garage with a DHR II safely on the back.

Rock Razor all the way.

the00
    Free Member

Tyre arrived today. 33 quid on eBay, and it is labelled evo so I assume it’s the new version. Looking forward to trying it when the trails dry out a bit more

Northwind

the00
    Free Member

Tyre arrived today. 33 quid on eBay, and it is labelled evo so I assume it’s the new version.

My old ones have the Evo tag as well, it’s just their two main ranges- Performance is the lower end, Evo is the higher end.

I’m not sure how you can actually tell which is which. My ones all have gold writing. I could be wrong but I think the old 29er Rockrazor SG never came in the “addix” compounds so if yours has a stripe running along the rubber I think that probably makes it this year’s version.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you can actually tell which is which.

The Font

I’m not sure how you can actually tell which is which. My ones all have gold writing

They haven’t had Gold writing on since Addix compounds came in 5 years ago. The latest 2021 tyres have added the new Super Trail and Super Ground carcasses to the range, and the font has changed to become bolder and more angular.

I could be wrong but I think the old 29er Rockrazor SG never came in the “addix” compounds so if yours has a stripe running along the rubber I think that probably makes it this year’s version.

If it’s got an Addix stripe it could be anywhere from 2016-21 model tyre… The label and font on the sidewall and the description on the box will give the game away.

the00
    Free Member

The Font? (!!!!!)
    That’s madness.

Northwind

mboy
    Free Member

They haven’t had Gold writing on since Addix compounds came in 5 years ago.

Yup, but, as I say I’m not sure there was ever an Addix successor to that tyre (ie the first Addix generation, but before the new SuperEverything range). There was an Addix snakeskin version, and an SG Addix 27.5, but I’ve never seen a previous-version-SG Addix 29er, and I checked the Schwalbe website a few times over the period and it was never listed there either.

So I suspect it jumps straight from gold text, to the new one.

Edit- huh, but in fact Schwalbe’s website has only the Supertrail listed under the Rockrazor 29.

Double edit- @the00, is it this listing? If so, if it looks like the picture then it’s the old version, good known quantity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Schwalbe-ROCK-RAZOR-Super-Gravity-TL-Easy-29-x-2-35-60-622-Folding-Tyre/373365398459?hash=item56ee4fdbbb:g:NXQAAOSwSRlfvllB

the00
    Free Member

That’s the one, gold text and all.
    If it is an old version then perhaps that is why it is not listed on Schwalbe… I wonder if there even will be a new one. Although there are other listings on eBay with the rendering with Addix stripe, and others with photos with white text.
    For interest, seeing as it isn’t widely publicised, this tyre comes in at 985g

Northwind

I was curious so I contacted the people who were selling the “addix SG” on ebay and they’re changing the listing, it’s a snakeskin. Wrong photo as well I think.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Is the Minion SS still the best tyre for its job?’ is closed to new replies.