Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is the Met Office getting a bit, y'know, Americanised?
  • v8ninety

All this naming of ‘storms’ (blustery weather) and seemingly always issuing new ‘severe weather warnings’ (blustery/rainy/bit chilly weather) is all a bit over dramatic isn’t it? I seem to be forever being notified of some severe weather event or another. This time it’s ‘Desmond’ apparently. Dunno, but it all seems to be a bit overly dramatic and a little ‘look at me’ish. Not very stoic. Mind you, the stiff upper lip quivered a long time ago and maybe I’m just out of touch with what ‘Britishness’ is. It’s all a bit Daily Mail. <Wanders off grumbling about storms and snow in ‘his day’>

mefty
    Free Member

Hell no.

Drac

Gee I hope not.

scaredypants

I think they’re just realigning themselves with UK norms

Light drizzle and a gentle breeze regularly brings my commute to a halt, so I think a name is only right – in fact it’s damn-tootin right

mintimperial

Quite agree. Load of rubbish if you ask me. Bloody ridiculous, trying to pretend our weather is particularly interesting, which it isn’t, thank god.

There’s a list of the names they’re going to use here.

househusband

If they start using ‘directionality‘ then they will well and truly have jumped the shark…

perchypanther
    Free Member

We’ve been naming the storms for a while now….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Bawbag

v8ninety

What was that daft overdramatic term that was used a year or so ago? ‘Snow bomb’ or some such nonsense. Eejits.

Edit; I (and Google) remember. It was weather bomb. Because ‘explosive cyclogenesis’ is too hard to spell.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is the Met Office getting a bit, y’know, Americanised?

Well if they are then at least they’re doing it with a sense of humor – Storm ABiGale

scotroutes

All this color coding too! 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is the Met Office getting a bit, y'know, Americanised?’ is closed to new replies.