Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Is the forum dying?
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s 12.40pm and the front page, the oldest thread is 13 hours and the bottom third have all had no activity for three hours or more.

That would never have happened pre the face lift. The fact that you now cannot quickly find threads you have previously responded to might well mean that arguments are not so quick to develop and die much more quickly, but I’m guessing the level of activity across the whole forum has dropped massively.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed. The overall lack of usability is killing user engagement. Here’s hoping they get things sorted quickly.

It would be interesting to see how it is effecting ad revenue too 🙁

angeldust
    Free Member

ECHO

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is mainly an issue that affects men.

Mumsnet is going from strength to strength.

dmorts

I wonder if anyone has heard of “Regression Testing” at STW towers?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It is definitely quieter, well from a user perspective. I posed this question to the mods on another thread.

#SOS

Save our Singletrack

freeagent
    Free Member

Unless it gets sorted soon I think i’ll be visiting a lot less – this ‘upgrade’ has been a disaster.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you can find threads you posted to by going to the replies created section and then clicking on the # at the bottom.

In some ways this is good as it takes you to the post you made, but it is not obvious (whicch it should be in this GUI world) and it also does not give you a straight listing of the threads you replied to but rather all the text of your reply.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

We don’t like change.

Agreed it does seem a lot quieter in here.

iainc

The STW Facebook page seems quite active though 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is mainly an issue that affects men.

Very good I see what you did there – damn now where are the smiley faces to show that I saw the funny side?

Junkyard
    Free Member

In some ways this is good as it takes you to the post you made

Does not show you how long ago it was or whether anyone has replied which is unhelpful
    So its an “improvement” with a price – sums up what the forum is currently

the-muffin-man

Like Facebook attention whores – people have flounced off, but they’ll be back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

<div>TurnerGuy
    <div>
    <div>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div>

you can find threads you posted to by going to the replies created section and then clicking on the # at the bottom.

Yep posted a request for the old one back, it’s not being change phobic but a list of posts with no context and no idea if the discussion has carried on isn’t that useful – again the last version just worked

</div>

legend
    Free Member

Really odd that they now seem to be pushing the secret Singletrack Facebook Group

Also, the # button to go to thread thing is also crap. The old way you could see if there had been a response since you posted without having to go to the thread itself

hols2
    Free Member

As long as there’s a new e-bike thread at least once a week, I’ll keep coming back.

DavidB
    Free Member

I predict TimeInc own the site within 6 months

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

School holidays I think – most are off school with parents

whitestone
    Free Member

School holidays I think – most are off school with parents

Good point. Most of the forums I frequent are very quiet this week. (Let’s see if the quote/paste bug has been fixed – if there’s loads of < span> type stuff it hasn’t)

thepurist

Maybe it’s the time of year where people are fed up riding through claggy slop and thoughts aren’t on riding bikes as much.

Aw hang on, this is STW – since when has riding bikes in the mud been relevant to this place?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Upgrades and teething problems I can handle. But the lack of communication to the users is the biggest issue imho.

1. Keep us upto date on progress of issues

2. Tell us clearly and concisely how to use the new “features”

Do this and the STW massive will be a lot more understanding and patient.

epicyclo

legend

…Also, the # button to go to thread thing is also crap…

It would be great if I could see this famous hash key on my screen. Anyone else have invisible/nonexistent hash problem?

johndoh
    Free Member

the STW massive

Surely the collective noun should now be The STW Dwindle?

zokes
    Free Member

“Anyone else have invisible/nonexistent hash problem?”

My dealer is quite reliable, actually

thepurist

1. Keep us upto date on progress of issues

2. Tell us clearly and concisely how to use the new “features”

For info Mark’s now started posting updates in the “Our Forum” sticky thread.  At least the silence is broken.

martinhutch

At least the silence is broken

As quote is now apparently fixed, does that mean that the massive font size for quoted text is a design decision?

whitestone
    Free Member

I don’t see the # link. What I do have when I go to my profile is a “Forums” link (used to be called “Forum activity”). If I click on this there are three options: “Topics Started”, “Replies Created” and “Favourites”. The latter is nothing specific to me, it’s just the most recently active threads whether I’ve created them, replied to them or ignored them. The first is obvious and of little interest to anyone but myself. The “Replies created” shows the entire text of each and every post I’ve made. Hmm.

Edit: My boo-boo, I see it now. The least obvious link there. Bizarrely the more obvious link next to it, usually with text along the lines of “Posted 4 minutes ago” takes you to …

The same spot!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Being able to tap the entire reply would be more intuitive.

The fact that copy and paste is not consistently working is not going either is disappointing.

njee20
    Free Member

I imagine (but I don’t know) that visitors are hard won and easily lost. So yes, some people visiting less often, and I’m certainly one of them, will return, but a great many won’t. I’ve replaced this place with other forums now. Admittedly that’s driven in part by the fact I don’t ride much any more, and have less interest in bikes than I once did, but even so, it would be a shame, as it’s still got the potential to be the best forum around IMO.

rascal
    Free Member

Put it this way, I’ve gone from being on here for hours a day to occasion visits throughout the week. The recent ‘upgrades’ have put me right off. Make of that what you will…

bikebouy
    Free Member

I quite like the piece and quiet TBH.

It’s sort of having the curtains half closed in the twilight where you’re trying to block out the sunset and being blinded by the last few rays of the day.

A sleeping tablet is all you need to top it off.

Night night.

avdave2

I’ve nothing to say – this post is just virtual CPR

fasthaggis

It’s going to work like a cull.

A month from now this place will be full of fresh faced spring chickens asking about tyres,flats V Spds,wheel sizes,fat bikes and much much more.

🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

At least it means there is less petty squabbling by the usual suspects, harder to see when there is a response to your last drivel retort….

whitestone
    Free Member

Yes, there are certain threads and posters that would appear to have fallen by the wayside. I suspect those posters (trolls) aren’t getting their desire for instant feedback satiated.

trailwagger
    Free Member

For info Mark’s now started posting updates in the “Our Forum” sticky thread. At least the silence is broken.

Yes but who wants to wade through 43 pages to find out whats going on. Lets have a sticky with a regular update from admins/mods (whoever) that no one can post in Keep it concise and relevant.

ampthill

Using chrome on Android and Windows 7 I have no edit tools.

I’m trying hard not to be sulky about the changes. I’ve been a subscriber since the magazine started. The last issue was great. But i do feel like I pay for this forum. If you’re not logged in then the adverts are tough here. If your paying for something it’s hard not to think that it should work

It’s an intresting comparison to ukclimbing. I don’t visit that often but they were looking at a forum update. They had a test site up for ages. The adverts don’t get in the way and it’s free. I don’t know if the adverts pay for the content or if Rockfax subsidise it as an advert and data collection site for the publishing business.

So why didn’t they run the updates on a test site before launching the updates here

sbob
    Free Member

It’s fine.

Image result for kill me now

johndoh
    Free Member

I also miss the hover effect on the ‘freshness’ showing who made the last post – handy on a desktop just to see at a glance if someone else has posted or if your own recent post is the last one still.

nickc

“That would never have happened pre the face lift”

Thing is, you can’t say that with anything like accuracy, before the changes no-one would’ve cared, now a small percentage of folk are making noise about it. As far as know this is just an interim stage, so when it’s all working well, and everything’s nice and shiney, and folk come back (indeed if they’ve even left) will anyone care?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Is the forum dying?’ is closed to new replies.