Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is the classifieds area broken?
  • ibnchris

The same ads have been at the top for well over a week…

I’ve alsp noticed there seems to be a huge reduction in number of posts. Are people selling their stuff elsewhere now?

nixie

Your looking in the wrong place. Classifieds (forum) are dead, long live the new classifieds (use the link from the main menu). It’s been slow over the last week as there is some big semi religious festival or something going on. The first ads shown are paid for boosted ads, scroll past these and there is new stuff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s not slow due to Xmas…. the holidays used to be a busy time for folk having clear outs to buy stuff with the proceeds in sales.

It’s just that the new ones shite.

Another part of the website that’s painful to use.

nixie

I remember the opposite with this time of year being sloooooow. Skint people with other things to do. It’s a bad time to try and sell.

breadcrumb

I’ve got bits and pieces to sell, I’m waiting until payday at the earliest as I know it’s a little tight for money straight after Christmas for most of us.

jam-bo

The new classifieds format is shit.

But what I don’t know is why the old classified forum is still visible and obvious given that it’s closed.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Even on the new forum paid for adverts will remain at the top so you need to keep scrolling to see the new ads.
    There doesn’t seem to be as much activity on the for sale forum now though.

chilled76
    Free Member

Not so many buyers it seems as well.

I’ve got an sb6c frame to shift and I swear it would have sold in a day on the old classifieds. Not a sniff on this new one.

Instead I’ve got scammers on unlike trying to get me to ship it abroad. 🤡

djflexure

Don’t seem to be many buyers – perhaps Christmas? Sold everything on eBay.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I am not keen on the new / selling / wanted section either i think it has been ruined.

Drac

I’ve got an sb6c frame to shift and I swear it would have sold in a day on the old classifieds. Not a sniff on this new one.

Looking at your history you’ve never had much luck selling stuff on here.

Mark

There have been 10,087 users visit the new classifieds in the last 30 days (December is a lowest performing month) – they clocked up 127k page impressions.

In the old classifieds the average daily new ad count was in the mid 20s. There have been 23 new ads in the classifieds in the last 24 hours. Because the old classifieds forum is still there you can go and have a look and count the ads yourself. The best way is to go back and count up all the ‘1 month ago’ posts and then divide that by 30 for the average daily total.

The old classifieds is still there while we sort out the site map in order to be able to archive it in the best way that doesn’t lead to our site SEO being hit hard due to the sudden creation of millions of 404 errors. It will be gone from public view soon.

The advertising on the new forum is reaping higher returns for us as the ads are presented in standard article custom posts and pages rather than forum posts. Basically ads perform better when they are not in a forum format – it’s a programmatic thing – advertising algorithms don’t like forums.

The number of boosted ads has increased our revenue from users more than tenfold compared to the old ‘donate’ option in the forum. We’ve actually increased the price of them in order to attract fewer boosted posts – so that there are not too many at the top of the first page.

So, it’s being used about the same as before – it is also contributing to our bottom line a lot better than it was before.

I’m tuning out now until the new year. Have great end of year few days everyone.

simondbarnes

So, it’s being used about the same as before – it is also contributing to our bottom line a lot better than it was before.

Sounds like a win to me 🙂

ibnchris

Pleased to hear it’s working out well Mark – great work! The stats don’t lie so I’ll back you all the way 🙂

Have posted some stuff up there this afternoon to give it a whirl!

firestarter
    Free Member

But how many visits did the old classifieds get, as id presume you may get similar amount of people selling just less bothering to look at buying and how many subs has the site lost since the improvements out of interest

tomhoward

That’s all well and good, but half a dozen people don’t like it, so the whole thing is doomed to fail.

Drac

how many subs has the site lost since the improvements out of interest

Less than it’s gained.

DickBarton

How many are bots or spiders? I don’t think I’ve ever used it, so only posting as I think I’m funny.

End of the day, if it is bringing in more revenue then it is good – wages and bills get paid and hopefully money to invest on improving things…which seems like a good result in my book.

Drac

End of the day, if it is bringing in more revenue then it is good – wages and bills get paid and hopefully money to invest on improving things…which seems like a good result in my book.

Which is precisely part of the reason it was changed.

That’s all well and good, but half a dozen people don’t like it, so the whole thing is doomed to fail.

Luckily they never mention it.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Classifieds? There’s a classifieds

smogmonster

They may not be broken, but they are shit. The old system was far better.

Drac

’tis the season to be jolly…..

rOcKeTdOg

I love the new classifieds, those saying they haven’t sold anything should maybe adjust their prices

judderman
    Free Member

i dont understand how it works?
    i cant find anything & the search doesnt seem to work?

granny_ring

The new classifieds has been a lot quieter than the old one for sure.
    I think Mark & Co seem happy with the ‘hits’ tho as that helps with their revenue for advertising so fair enough…. But, more often there’s times when I check the classifieds and more or less come straight out of it seeing that there’s been hardly any activity. So that’s another ‘visit’ that’s helps the figures….
    So it’s up to us to advertise more on there for it to change really, that’s the only way it’s going to improve.

squirrelking
    Free Member

i dont understand how it works?

There is list on the right hand side, click the categoryyou want, job done. Or, just browse through all the ads without filter.

ibnchris

It’s much easier to post on imho. I hope it picks up. Having the boosted ones at the top is a bit crappy but can understand the rationale

wordnumb
    Free Member

Classifieds? There’s a classifieds

That’s classified information.

rene59
    Free Member

i cant find anything & the search doesnt seem to work?

If you have an ad blocker you won’t see any posts.

judderman
    Free Member

Cheers people, t’was the ad blocker

timoth27

Boosted ads aside, I like the pics and the format is fine the only thing I find annoying is the wanted ads surely they should be in the wanted section? Buy the way I’m viewing on an iPhone/iPad if that makes any difference

nealglover
    Free Member

Not broken, I bought a load of stolen credit cards earlier 👍

simmoz
    Free Member

The new classifieds is great. I haven’t bought anything I didn’t really need in ages

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is the classifieds area broken?’ is closed to new replies.