Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Is the airshot the best tubeless inflator (for plus sized tyres)
  • iamanobody

Just about to push the button – can this be beaten for seating tubeless tyres (650b x 2.8), no homebrew versions please just actual products i can bu that work.
    max budget is £50

mashr

As far as I’m aware tubeless inflators are much of a muchness. I’ve got a Bontrager Flashcharger (so combined pump and inflator) but that’s a bit over budget. If i was buying now i’d likely get this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-airblast-tubeless-tyre-track-pump-1/

If you just want an add-on type, then I’d be getting whatever I can find the cheapest

iamanobody

i’m looking for stand alone as have a decent pump already tbh

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I think all off the shelf inflators are small, with a what, 1 litre or 1.5 tank? Happy to be corrected.

A mate has had problems with a bony flash charger on some plus size tyres, which I assume is a similar size.

For plus-sized I’d definitely go homemade with a large fire extinguisher. NorthWind FTW.

if you can get hold of a cheap air compressor then that will be better, as an added bonus an AC can be used to dry off the bb/drivetrain and linkages.

iamanobody

As i know Sweet FA about compressors – can anyone give me some stuff to help make an informed choice please? Compressor would be my choice as obvs far more uses!!

Premier Icon drewd
    Subscriber

I’ve not used a commercial inflator but do have a DIY inflator made from a small welding gas bottle. It’s a similar size to an air shot and while it’s been fine for 26er and 700c gravel tyres I don’t think it would have the volume to inflate a plus tyre.

Every plus tyre I’ve used has gone up with just a track pump, they just seem to work better tubeless. That’s using Nobby Nics, Bombolonis and a Minion DHF.

Premier Icon Blackflag
    Subscriber

I have the schwalbe version of the airshot (its made by airshot but rebranded). It’s fantastic. I swap tyres willy nilly now just cos i can. 1st time every time. Buy one.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

The beto inflator (Merlin and tredz sell it) is better imho. Holds more air and weighs less (still a sturdy bit of kit). Also only around £30. Works well for my plus (and any other) tyres.

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

I’ve got an airshot, can take a couple of blasts to seat a 29+, but my pump only gets up to about 110 psi

Might need to soap water it as well, and that is for all sizes from road through 29+

Turnerfan1

The airshot is the best.
    Use the Schwalbe version in the workshop and works everytime.
    Usually remove the valve to be the most effective but deals with all the stubborn tyres!
    Max.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

if you can get hold of a cheap air compressor then that will be better, as an added bonus an AC can be used to dry off the bb/drivetrain and linkages.

A lot larger to store though.

iamanobody

Storage is not an issue

iamanobody

Still clueless about proper compressors though – what size tank would it need??

Premier Icon dudeofdoom
    Subscriber

Still clueless about proper compressors though – what size tank would it need??

TBH I’ve got a compressor and an airshot.

I always use the airshot as I just find it easier and tbh you can chuck it in the car if you want to arse about in the field.

If I was mounting a hundred tyres a day then I’d think of using the compressor 🙂

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Keep meaning to buy one of these but my 9yr old 7p ghetto coke bottle inflator steadfastly refuses to die (I have the trouser leg from some old jeans over it, as it’ll blow at some point!)

The Giant Control tank caught my eye. Seems better designed re moving/using than the Airshot because it’s designed to lay flat, and has a carry handle

Does anyone have info on the comparative volume of airshot vs Beto vs Giant control?

I was put off the CRC Lifeline pump because the air volume is supposed to be quite small, so struggled with larger volume tyres

Premier Icon TheGhost
    Subscriber

I built one from this video.

All you need is a couple of old presta valves, a 2l Coke bottle and some tubing from Amazon

Total cost less than a pint and it works fine on my 2.8 tires.

I can’t see why you would buy one.

iamanobody

because i have no time

iamanobody

or old presta valves, nor do i drink fizzy drink – apart from that …..

Premier Icon StuF
    Subscriber

My airshot didn’t have any problems with 27.5×2.8s. The only slight annoying thing is when under pressure (130-140psi) the bottom of the tank has a slight bow in it, meaning it doesn’t stand upright.

iamanobody

milk bottle holder for the win 🙂

avdave2

I have the trouser leg from some old jeans over it, as it’ll blow at some point!

You do know that if you are being kneecapped you’ll want to roll your jeans up otherwise you are going to lose your leg don’t you:-)

Premier Icon cchris2lou
    Subscriber

Look for a 25lt Aldi or Lidl compressor, works well and can be used for a variety of things.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

While the coke bottle works (I used one for several years) a proper inflator is way better.

Re the volume question I think the beto one is bigger in that regard. On a riding trip last year two of us had inflators. Both of us tried a particular wheel several times with the airshot and failed to get it to seat. It went up first time with the beto.

Premier Icon pedlad
    Subscriber

I’ve been bought the beto one to replace my homebrew, garden sprayer with safty valve superglued up solution. It’s already popped a couple of tyre/wheels that were problematic before without issues so very happy.

I’d guess it’s about 2 ltr capacity.
    I’m probably filling it to a much higher pressure than the sprayer as it doesn’t carry the risk of death by yellow plastic shards…

edit – having got that now I son’t need a big compressor but would quite like an electric wall mount airpump/compressor for the garage with a long coil hose for doing car tyres / pumping up the Beto and general blowing. Can’t seem to find such a thing as they all seem to be 12v portable car things or big-tank compressors. Anyone got any recommendations?

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Have a look at my photo above

iamanobody

what photo?

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Sorry photo is on a different thread

edit – having got that now I son’t need a big compressor but would quite like an electric wall mount airpump/compressor for the garage with a long coil hose for doing car tyres / pumping up the Beto and general blowing. Can’t seem to find such a thing as they all seem to be 12v portable car things or big-tank compressors. Anyone got any recommendations?

This one

iamanobody

thats ace but not on sale

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Don’t have any experience with inflator, but Topeak Booster I have is doing admirable job on plus and fat tyres alike.

Always wanted to have something bigger, based on old fire extinguisher or compressor tank but never managed to put one together…

CRC/Wiggle Lifeline/PX Barbieri is indeed small tank. Providing that your tyre is tight fit it is still OK, but any sign of looseness and it is not enough. At least in my experience…

Cheers!
    I.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Local Lidl had their equivalent in at the weekend

and a few variations on ebay although not at the price we paid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Portable+Air+Compressor+1100W&_sacat=0

The Ozito one looks identical to the Aldi one we have in the camper

Premier Icon Trailrider Jim
    Subscriber

i’m looking for stand alone as have a decent pump already tbh

Only PITA is it doesn’t stand stable. It needs a wider base. Other than that, mine inflates 2.8″ tyres with no issues.

iamanobody

@tracey is the aldi one good for tubeless inflation or just inflation to pressure when seated? ie dies it have a blast of air function?

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Ours is good for tubeless inflation. New or old tyre onto rim, add the Stans, blow it up till it pops and seats properly, deflate to required pressure on digital pressure gauge and good to go. Used it on all out tyres up to 3″ with different rims and never failed.
    We were out in Ainsa at an EWS round and the one in the camper got a lot of use from the guys who had damaged rims and tyres on the first day and didn’t have the use of a team crew. Took a while to sort one where the rim was beyond saving however with a lot of persuasion we managed to seat the tyre and the rider finished day two.

Premier Icon TiRed
    Subscriber

I’ve used the airshot since it came out. Only two issues: It blew the internal valve on my Topeak Joe Blow at a less than indicated 150PSI – replaced with a Rennkompressor. And it would be nice if the neoprene cover had a velcro strap to attach to said pump. Great piece of kit that makes tubeless inflation a pleasure. Not mounting, but inflation. Buy with confidence.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

The work zone compressor is the noisiest thing known to man kind.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

It’s not what you asked for OP, but I’ve got the Aldi inflator that Tracey has, and linked to, combined with a CO2 fire extinguisher. The inflator works for the car tyres and filling the fire extinguisher. It’s a smaller footprint than a full blown compressor and it allows me to take the fire extinguisher with me in the car. The advantage over the Airshot is that it will mount two 3″ tyres on one charge, so less pumping. The Airshot is convenient for emergencies, its small and light enough to carry on a big day out, but it’s a lot of money compared to a cheap garage compressor.

Anyway, enough waffle, time to post The Frankenflator!

Having seen the cost of some of those Aldi clone compressors you could get a proper tank for that money:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy

I’m currently building an inflator out of a Chubb 5kg CO2 extinguisher, I’ve actually just about managed to retain all the original parts, once all the bits arrive and I’ve tested it I’ll post a parts list. Cost about £20 all in.

iamanobody

what is the benefit of the tank ones over the aldi style ones?

Premier Icon drewd
    Subscriber

The Aldi compressor isn’t a compressor as such, it’s a pump. It does deliver enough air to inflate tubeless tyres though. I had one, but it was really loud, so I gave it to my dad.

The compressors with a tank have a pump to pressurise air in the tank, the pump stops when the tank is pressurised. It’s basically a much bigger version of an airshot, but the pump pressurises the tank rather than a track pump.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.