Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Is the African famine a natural cycle?
  • clubber
    Free Member

My mistake then, foolishly I thought that taking the piss out of those who state an actual opinion, and then implying that their being “Earnest” or taking something seriously was just knee jerk political correctness, might mean these hillarious **** don’t really give a shit…

That’s not what was being taken the piss out of.

philconsequence
    Free Member

foolishly I thought that taking the piss out of those who state an actual opinion, and then implying that their being “Earnest” or taking something seriously was just knee jerk political correctness, might mean these hillarious **** don’t really give a shit…

But clearly this is my mistake, how dare I hold an opinion…

that is a mistake.. its an assumption, not an opinion.

I’ll drop in to a cancer ward on the way home and Laugh long and hard in each and every patients face, When the staff ask me to leave I’ll just tell them to “lighten up, it’s only a **** Joke”.

laughter is pretty good for relieving stress, and stress impacts negatively on those trying to not die from cancer… unless you mean you’re going to go and laugh AT the cancer patients? which, unless i’m missing something, isn’t comparable to what’s happened in this thread so far.

you seem to really care about this subject which is commendable i suppose, i hope you turn that passion into action to help.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

unless you mean you’re going to go and laugh AT the cancer patients?

later to day im going to go lol at some homeless people… 🙂

cookeaa

you seem to really care about this subject which is commendable i suppose, i hope you turn that passion into action to help.

First sensible suggestion, you know what I think I actually will…

As for the rest, I’m sure your pedantry is spot on, and all the twattery was “Meant in jest”, just don’t think you lot are particularly funny, personal taste and all, Group Hug?

TTFN…

clubber
    Free Member

I was hoping for a daisy chain but a group hug will do. Kiss kiss.

philconsequence
    Free Member

it was my only suggestion 😀

i dont normally hug people who refer to my work on here as ‘twattery’, but if you promise to make it a proper man hug with the compulsary awkward 3 firm pats on the back then i promise not to whisper something sexy in your ear :mrgreen:

😀 fair play to you dude, its evident you feel strongly about it all and its refreshing to engage with people who care!

Dobbo

Why on earth would you discuss an issue such as famine and leave out the “emotional aspect” ?

Unless you are indeed a “crass twunt”.

Perhaps so you could look at the some of the facts that lie behind the issue that emotional input is not needed to view at times, and does if anything tint. I would have thought that all subjects can be looked at with and without emotion, and benefit from doing so, unless you are indeed a thick twunt.

Lifer
    Free Member

And here we go…

camo16
    Free Member

Hugs from me… to all.

Oops, forgot to add a 🙄

Dobbo

Hugs from me… to all.

I’ll decline as I might get all emotional. 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

unless you are indeed a thick twunt

I’d rather be a thick twunt than a crass twunt. Luckily my preference is almost certainly satisfied.

The “facts that lie behind the issue” is that human beings, particularly children, are dying for want of food. The civilised way for another human being to respond to that, is with an indispensable emotional dimension – which cannot be excluded when dealing with an issue such as famine. To suggest that it can be dealt with in a purely cold, callous, and unemotional way, is nonsense – grow up.

If you are genuinely interested in the primary causes of famine, and I doubt that you are, it is not your suggestion, ie, an increase in population size, nor is it even a shortage of food – famines have occurred in instances where there has actually been an increase of available food. The primary cause of famine is poverty. Although war, drought, etc, may all contribute.

If you want anymore detail concerning the causes of famine and practical solutions for preventing it, then I suggest you read up stuff by the world renowned economist and Noble Prize winner, Amartya Sen.

I might get all emotional 😆

Haha, aren’t you the funny one *rolls eyes*

Dobbo

To suggest that it can be dealt with in a purely cold, callous, and unemotional way, is nonsense – grow up.

🙄 Your words not mine, I was looking at the possible causes of the famine rather than the result of the famine. In your following paragraph you did exactly that!

Take the Norwegian killing, you could have a story on what happened on the island and the victims (emotional), then a story with the killers background why and how he got to that state, who helped him what could’ve been done to stop it etc.. A non emotional factual analysis of events that led up to and behind the resulting emotional story.

Here are 2 BBC articles on Somalia.

Looking at the causes without the emotional aspects..

The emotional result.

I cant put it more clearly than that.

If you are genuinely interested in the primary causes of famine, and I doubt that you are

That’s a pathetic and low comment.

El-bent
    Free Member

If there was no conflict from religious fanatics, and the countries weren’t run by corrupt numpties, there would be no problem feeding everybody…

GW Bush is no longer US president.

In other words, the “west” can’t claim a higher moral ground.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member

That’s a pathetic and low comment.

This is a pathetic and low comment ……. your comment in your original post :

“the average number of children per family is greater than 6 in Somalia plus people living longer, the reason they have large families is to even out loses from famine, disease etc. If you don’t have these natural deaths wouldn’t the population become out of control for the land? “

It’s just a cheap shot at people living in third world countries. It implies that their problems are purely of their own doing and that it stems from the fact that they “breed” too much. Which of course very conveniently absolves wealthy nations from any responsibility and therefore also any guilt.

Famine in Somalia has nothing to do with over-population and everything to do with poverty. Somalia is a large country (larger than most countries in the world) and with a population of less than 10 million. Its population growth rate is 1.6% per annum – 70 countries across the world have a greater population growth rate than Somalia.

If the Somalian people were wealthy they could easily import all the food required to sustain their small population. Plus of course if the wealthy nations didn’t steal Somalian fishing stocks, due to the fact that Somalia has no navy and coast guard, then that would undoubtedly also help, needless to say.

Somalia is in the situation it is in today precisely because of the activities of wealthy nations, not because of the actions of the Somalian people who are witnessing their children die of hunger. The overriding aim of wealthy nations is to keep poor nations poor. Wealthy nations have fought colonial wars against the Somalian people, and have fought against each other in Somalia. Not only militarily, but also ideologically.

And Somalia is still paying the price of meddling by wealthy nations. The Islamists who are contributing so much to the misery which the country is experiencing were initially armed, trained, and financed, by the West.

We have a responsibility for where Somalia is today, quite apart from our indisputable moral responsibility to those in desperate need. But of course you don’t want to hear that, preferring instead to point an accusing finger as you castigate them for the number of children they have, and to dismiss the tragedy of human beings dying of hunger with talk of “natural cycles”, as you sit on your fat overfed arse behind a computer……. ffs.

Dobbo

E_L, I’d pretty much agree with all that with the exception of ‘The overriding aim of wealthy nations is to keep poor nations poor.‘ this may have been true in the past, I think wealthier nations now (or are starting to) want all countries to be self supporting and have stable economies and regimes due to the stability of single countries affecting global stability.

And I’m not too sure how factual the ‘your fat overfed arse‘ comment is either.

Helios
    Free Member

Wow – I’ve just seen this thread. The OP is absolutely right.

Thank god Africa has famine – otherwise the world really would be overrun with these nasty people breeding too fast with more children they can afford and the land can cope with. Irresponsible I call it.

I tell you what though, we need a plan B just in case the famine doesn’t work: How about we nip over there and shoot all the kids born in even years in the head. That’ll learn ’em.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Is the African famine a natural cycle?’ is closed to new replies.