Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is the £2200 cube AMS worth an extra year strapped to finance?
  • bradley
    Free Member

Basically long story short my HT forks are knackered beyond repair and it’s not worth me fixing/replacing, instead spending that money on a deposit for a bike on finance.

I’m struggling to decide between 2 Cube AMS bikes…

Cube AMS 130 £1400

Cube AMS Race 150 £2200

The reason for the price difference is my monthly finance outgoing has to be as close to £50 as possible and the £1400 bike is 24 month contract, £52/month, the £2200 bike is 36 month contract £54/month.

Any other suggestions/recommendations or reasons why I shouldn’t be buying Cube…?

sssimon
    Free Member

Are you still going to be riding it in 36 months?

or

Are you going to end up spending the next two years upgrading the AMS 130?

bradley
    Free Member

Well I’d like to think I’d still be riding it in 36 months, i’m only 19 so it’s not like I’ll give the sport up any time soon…

I won’t be upgrading the AMS 130 but I really like the look/spec of the AMS 150 and I worry that if I get the 130 I’ll spend 2 years ‘lusting’ for the 150…you see?

br
    Free Member

Or buy new forks instead…, many places do them on finance, try Merlin.

tmb467
    Free Member

to be fair – the additional travel and upgraded components mean you’ll probably get more use out of the 150 for three years as opposed to the 130. Also depends on whether you think you’ll need 150mm travel (or if 130 would be enough)

finally – it depends on how you see your financial situation developing tho…

but this is a bike board, not a financial advice centre

Get the 150 :mrgreen:

reedspeed
    Free Member

I personally cant leave anything alone,so i’d always go for the better spec option.

its £2 p/m were talkin about ere,forget the extra year that wont bother you,or issit the wife ???.

They do say however,forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission…

jameso

2 year contract on a manitou-equipped bike, you’re braver than me.. And the Fox bike will have a fair maintenance bill each year or be trashed well before 3 yrs are up. I’d finance / spend the deposit on a new set of Reba forks and some other bits for the HT at £500-600 and be done with it )
    I used to sell loads of bikes on finance, 2-3 yr terms. Many customers were swapping bikes again well before paying the bike off. Seemed a bit daft to me when there were other bikes that were equally fun, simpler and £1000 or so less RRP. Sorry to sound so dull!

thomthumb
    Free Member

other than being a bit lighter i doubt you’ll notice the difference.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’d definitely be looking at something far nicer than a cube if i was spending 2.2k and planning on keeping it for a fair amount of time.

Plus it needs a dropper, factor that in.

Don’t buy based on perceived value for money (the cubes cut a lot of corners), buy something that is suitable for your application.

Que obligatory Qs –

Where are you riding?
    What do you currently have/what do you like/not like about it?
    What’s your riding style?
    What are you hoping to achieve out of the new bike?

takisawa2

If something comes along meaning you have to sell before its paid off, you’ll lose a fair bit on something like a Cube. I’d do it on something like an Orange5, Yeti, Turner etc, as you’ll get good money back if you sell. Three years is a long time.

bradley
    Free Member

Too be honest I’ve been pondering it over dinner/washing up and decided that for my style/intensity of riding, am I gonna notice the difference on a few select parts upgrades? It’s highly likely this is a no.

I’ll be getting the £1400 some time this month 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

personally i wouldn’t ever buy a frivilous toy such as a bike on finance. what are going to be doing work/earning wise in a year or two years time?

do you want to still be paying for an out of date bike in two years time?

try and avoid finace if you can. you’ll also get a better deal paying a lump sum of cash than you will on finace.

look for a second hand fork for your hardtail and run the whole bike into the ground.

i also wouldn’t buy a Cube AMS, but that is just personal preference.

sri16v
    Free Member

I picked up a 2012 Giant Anthem X2 for £1400 last october, highly recommended, perfect for XC and trail centre riding.

Only things I can find wrong with it are the brakes, Avid Elixrs, noisy and dont seem to be that powerful but they can be changed, oh and the seat is on the firm side.

The fox front and rear suspension is superb, only 100mm of travel on the front, but more than capable than most riders out there.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is the £2200 cube AMS worth an extra year strapped to finance?’ is closed to new replies.