Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is STW owned by facebook?
  • DrJ

I read two topics today – one on rain jackets and one on winter jackets. Within minutes I was seeing ads for them on facebook. Is “Mark” really Mark Zuckerberg? I think we should be told.

crumpsbutts
    Free Member

On a serious note you can stop this by using NoScript to block facebook javascript and by disabling 3rd party cookies in your web browser.

DrJ

Interesting – Safari supposedly blocks 3rd party cookies by default … 🙁

scotroutes

I bet you were reading them out loud and the Facebook microphone hack picked up the keywords

Cougar

On a serious note you can stop this by using NoScript to block facebook javascript and by disabling 3rd party cookies in your web browser.

… and then you’ll all be complaining that you keep getting logged out and about the GDPR pop-up.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Or, improve your Web experience by not visiting Facebook so it doesn’t matter what they know.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Wanna buy a jacket? Mate, wanna buy a jacket? Do ya, mate? Jacket, do ya? and so on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or, improve your Web experience by not visiting Facebook so it doesn’t matter what they know.

Think you got that the wrong way round.

Wanna buy a jacket? Mate, wanna buy a jacket? Do ya, mate? Jacket, do ya? and so on.

What would you rather be nagged about? Feminine hygeine products? Double glazing? Air freshener?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Think you got that the wrong way round.

Much as I like the idea of improving Facebook by not using the Web I don’t think there’s an analogue version of Facebook?

Maybe it’s a panini sticker album of other people’s pets and children where the shinnies are things of interest?

ayjaydoubleyou

What would you rather be nagged about? Feminine hygeine products? Double glazing? Air freshener?

Exactly. There are a number of advertisements needed for me to enjoy free content. I’d rather they were relevent to my interests. You must be at least vaguely jacket-curious to have gone into those threads.

Very occasionally I’ll watch something on actual TV and wonder what on earth has happened as the adverts are for all manner of random things.

(STW clearly not that good, as I keep getting e-bike adverts on the right hand side. They can go fornicate themselves for another 20 years – the web-ad-bots must know my age)

footflaps

Been doing this for years….

… and then you’ll all be complaining that you keep getting logged out and about the GDPR pop-up.

Nope, works pretty flawlessly, only see the GDPR thing when I disable NoScript.

The latest Firefox has Facebook Containers built in, so FB can’t see your activity anywhere else….

molgrips
    Free Member

Much as I like the idea of improving Facebook by not using the Web I don’t think there’s an analogue version of Facebook?

Using the web will still track your activity wether or not you visit Facebook. But if you let them track you, your web experience will actually improve because you get to see ads for things you might be interested in. This is actually a GOOD thing. However, you may not be willing to pay the price for that, which is that they know about the stuff you like.

If you turn off all tracking and no-one knows anything about you, you’ll see ads for things that you don’t care about. Unless you block ads altogether, in which case you end up using services without paying for them. Which in my book isn’t really very nice.

CountZero

I never get these sort of problems, but then, I never use Facebook…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is STW owned by facebook?’ is closed to new replies.