Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • Is STW a mountain bike site?
  • JonR
    Free Member

Seriously I’m sure the magazine that this is the website of is a mountain bike magazine. This is why I’m a little perplexed as to why a good half of the topics are full under the category of immac tips, lyrca do’s and don’ts, mincing along on carbon fibre, skinny tyred, fragile tartcyles, enthusing about the le tour du who has the best chemist and cadence tactics.

Tarmac is the enemy of the mountain bike and I think that this needs to be reminded to one or two people. If anyone ever tells me they’re on the last twenty of a hundred I’m going to punch them in their namby-pamby Epo filled face. And Orange 5 riders are just as bad.

druidh
    Free Member

C’mon Benji – I thought the rules allowed only one logon id?

Junkyard
    Free Member

result orange 5 owner and a road rider
    I do like hearing non P members who dont pay to help keep the website going tell us what it should be like.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

Did your mum not pack your favourite yogurt today?

sc-xc

druidh
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

I do like hearing non P members who dont pay to help keep the website going tell us what it should be like.That’s a very good point. Perhaps the “Ignore User” script could be modified to filter out non-P users?

grum
    Free Member

I like riding my road bike and have a passing interest in the tour etc. But I do think there is too much road stuff on the site. As pointed out in another thread, there’s far more interest in the tour than the downhill WC.

I know the OP is shamelessly trolling but they still have a point.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Did your mum not pack your favourite yogurt today?

😆

GlitterGary
    Free Member

No, STW is a boring, middle aged, computer nerd, misery guts site.

Most of whom ride road bikes.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s up to the magazine owners whether this turns into a road cycling forum.

Judging by the number of road cyclists I encounter these days they might as well ditch mountainbikes altogether.

MartinGT
    Free Member

I like riding my road bike and have a passing interest in the tour etc. But I do think there is too much road stuff on the site. As pointed out in another thread, there’s far more interest in the tour than the downhill WC.

Do you think thats a problem? Too many “weekend warriors” who only ride as a hobby and dont take their interest into the proffesional side?

I am a roadie at heart but also love my MTB. I come on here as the craic is good, albeit the odd nobber but you get that everywhere.

Its a good forum and I would be dissapointed if we were all boxed into different forums.

At the end of the day, were all riding bikes?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

filter out non-P users?

P___ Off!

That’s what I’d call the function.

finbar
    Free Member

Surely it’s up to us lot? If you want more mtb threads, start them yourself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So you’re complaining about the majority of users doing somethgin you don’t like?

That doesn’t make you individual, just wierd.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why does it matter what’s on here? If you don’t like the subject don’t read the thread.

I’m an MTBer – no question. However in addition to 3 mtbs I also own a road bike and a commuter. Should I be banned from talking about them? What good would that do?

As pointed out in another thread, there’s far more interest in the tour than the downhill WC

To be fair, there’s more to the tour than the DH WC isn’t there? It’s a three week soap opera including cycling. There’s also more interest about cricket, tennis, football and rugby.

DH is good to watch, but it’s really just a question of will (s)he go faster, won’t (s)he? Not much to talk about, is there?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

who’s going to win today? looks like europe car will be pace setting most of the day for voekler, which could allow HTC to save energy for the final lead out. downhill finish so it should be fast and strung out by the end, and Cav and HTC have to be favourites in those conditions.

having said that, the cat 4 climb not long from the finish could let a hill climber get away, unlikely though…

vinnyeh

I think you’ll find that at the moment it’s actually the forum posters who largely determine the direction the forum goes in..

Judging by the number of road cyclists I encounter these days they might as well ditch mountainbikes altogether.

How are you encountering these road cyclists- presumably they’re not cluttering up the trails? Do you have a confession to make?

MartinGT
    Free Member

who’s going to win today?

Gilbert 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Surely it’s up to us lot? If you want more mtb threads, start them yourself.

The owners have control if they want it. Getting shot of users is easy enough.

But, as I said… road cycling is where the market appears to be heading. Looks like a pretty easy commercial decision to me.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Gilbert is a good pick for the win today I think, surely a little disadvataged by the downhill finish, since he is strong on the climbing sprints? maybe thor could snatch it.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

there is no escape

MartinGT
    Free Member

Thor is a good shout so is EBH too for Sky

However, this could be a day the break stays away. Astana & Quickstep need something good.

grum
    Free Member

Do you think thats a problem?

Not really, it’s just for me personally I would prefer a mountain bike forum with a bit of stuff about road biking, rather than a general cycling forum with a bit about mountain biking. I realise it’s not up to me though.

kudos100
    Free Member

good trolling…… tarmac is the enemy of the mountain bike lol

stw is a niche forum for weight weenie singlespeed carbon 29’er riding IT guys in their late 30’s who secretly wish they could ride off road, but can’t and so ride road bikes, bitch and moan about anything and everything and always think they are right, no matter what.

accept it or go over to bike radar 😛

Drac

stw is a niche forum for weight weenie singlespeed carbon 29’er riding IT guys in their late 30’s who secretly wish they could ride off road, but can’t and so ride road bikes, bitch and moan about anything and everything and always think they are right, no matter what.

Joke’s on you I don’t have a 29er or work in IT.

binners

Yeah, M8. there ain’t nowhere near enough, like , getting TOTALLY STOKED and gnarly duuuuuuuuuuude. Its just, like, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lame here

MBUK?

phil.w
    Free Member

Not really, it’s just for me personally I would prefer a mountain bike forum with a bit of stuff about road biking, rather than a general cycling forum with a bit about mountain biking.

I’m a little confused by this. Do you think that there would be more mtb post if there was less other stuff? Who would start them as the people here obviously don’t want to talk about just mtb’s? Do you think the high % of non-mtb stuff keeps people away? Would you prefer this was PinkBike II?

Anyway more importantly…
    Where’s Realman’s TDF thread?

They’ll be going into the first sprint pretty quick off that hill.

and with two wins out of the last two for the breakaway what are the chances of them getting away today?

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t this primarily a car forum?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Despite appearances, proper road cycling is far more hardcore than poncing around the woods on a mountain bike. Not that I don’t love mtb’ing though…it’s ace.

kudos100
    Free Member

Joke’s on you I don’t have a 29er or work in IT.

sorry you are on the wrong forum, please sign up over at bike radar.

enfht
    Free Member

Roadies are foreign to STW

Posting 1000 threads a month still doesn’t give anyone the right to say otherwise

STW Towers confuse your key audience at your peril

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s next week the fun starts when they hit the mountains. At the moment the majority of the GC contenders are just saving there strength & trying to stay out of trouble..

kudos100
    Free Member

@ pedalhead

some ‘hardcore mountain bikers’ have no idea how tough competitive road racing is. the guys who take it seriously are as hard as nails. same with xc racers, some are really skillful, fearless and fast downhill. mucho respect.

i still joke and take the mickey out of them 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

What changes if you take all the road post away? nothing.

Plus I’ve always seen this site as one where the people come first. And don’t forget road is big in the summer, and it’s TdF month.
    And as for me, I’m well back into road riding to the extent of not owning an MTB anymore.
    But for 12 years prior I wasn’t off one.

What I can’t understand, and I said this yesterday and someone else pointed it out further up. Roadies ride on the road right? so how come I/we/roadies annoy certain mtb’ers so much? how do our paths cross so often you need to rant about it?

ransos
    Free Member

Perhaps those whining might reflect that during Wimbledon, we have quite a few threads about tennis…

m1kea
    Free Member

As a complete noob to this forum I am slightly surprised at the amount of road stuff on here.

I’m a roadie at heart but have come here for discussion on MTB stuff, this being a MTB forum and I have 2 mtbs.

However what would be good would be sub sections for various topics as opposed to dumping everything in to one giant topic section. I think this is the only forum I know that is like this?

oldgit
    Free Member

i still joke and take the mickey out of them

Which is da law.

pedalhead
    Free Member

kudos100, yep agreed. I just can’t quite get my head around why some people are so vociferously anti one type of cycling or another when actually they’re all so interchangeable. Unless it’s just about the bike or the image, and not the riding, which I suspect in some cases it may be.

donsimon
    Free Member

Doesn’t/ didn’t Peaty train on a road bike? Don’t want any half arsed amateurs around here, do we?
    0.5/10 for the troll, must try a lot harder.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Is STW a mountain bike site?’ is closed to new replies.