Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is Stanmer easy to navigate
  • gj78
    Free Member

Hi all, thinking of going to Stanmer park for the first time tomorrow evening, is it easy to find your way around?

Cheers

wwaswas

it is although you’ll miss some of the ‘good bits’ without a local to show you around.

best bet is to cycle the ‘fireroads’ slowly and investigate the paths leading off them when they appear.

there’s a regular Thursday night ride there if you could do today…

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Yeah, you’d be better off with a guide. There’s lots to ride but can be tricky to find some of it.

And it’s Thursday tomorrow…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cruzer
    Free Member

brighton mtb meet at 7pm on thursdays in the uni carpark. nice bunch of guys. if you ask for either ronnie or mike there be happy to show you

wwaswas

ah, yes, day off for me Friday’s put me a ‘day ahead’ of where I should be.

Join the BrightonMTb ride – details here – http://brightonmtb.org/evening-rides/

bigsi
    Free Member

gj78 – I’ll be there riding with the Brighton MTB guys tomorrow evening. Its a nice chilled out pace and all standards are welcome as long as you have a servicable bike & helmet.

The ride actually leaves from the Uni Sports Centre car park at 7pm.

We normally ride till about 9pm so lights are needed for the last 30mins at the moment but I’ve got a spare bar light you could borrow if you want to.

email me (in the profile) if you want to join us & I’ll be sure to pack the spare light 😉

It’s how i learnt where the best trails in Stanmer are as they created alot of the current net work of trails 😛

chiefgrooveguru

On that subject, has anyone seen my helmet light? See you tomorrow, hopefully with both lights!

gj78
    Free Member

Thanks for the info guys. Think we are going to get there around 16:30 so will miss the Brighton MTB club ride. I am moving to Haywards Heath in a few weeks so will definitely come and meet the club.

bigsi – Many thanks for the offer of lights, really appreciate it.

Cheers all

Ps, wheres the best place to park?

m1kea
    Free Member

If I pull my finger out, can I bring my creaking suspension and squealing brakes along?

wwaswas

wheres the best place to park?

upper lodges will be quite good if you;’re coming from HH – they’re on the road along from Ditchling Beacon. You don’t have to start with a climb there, either…

m1kea
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

wheres the best place to park?

upper lodges will be quite good if you;’re coming riding from HH – they’re on the road along from Ditchling Beacon. You don’t have to start with a climb there, either…

Toying with riding down, with a bit of across the downs to get there. Could you pinpoint the meeting points for me s’il vous plait?

wwaswas

for the uni car park?

best bet is probably to get to the big metal barn at the first group of trees after the top of the Beacon and turn left into the woods just after the barn turn off – there’s a ‘fireroad/made up path’ that goes from there around the back of the barn and then alongside some farm buildings. Eventually you’ll get to a ‘cross roads’ with a big wooden bench made from a fallen tree – turn right and go down the doubletrack and through the village then follow the metalled road until it meets the uni access road at a t-jucnction where you’ll turn left and the sports building is about 300yds after that on your right.

there’s more picturesque ways of doing it but you need to know the area a bit to follow them.

m1kea
    Free Member

wwaswas

I think I follow you. Something like this?

wwaswas

yes, along those lines – tricky to be certain but if you can get to the village you can’t go wrong…

VanHalen

m1kea. there is a singletrack descent that follows your blue line from the barns next to the fire road (between the field and fire road) that is superfast an fun. dont go down hte steep stuff at the end as thats the wrong way to the next bit! where you have a red blob and turn 90degree right continuee onwards straight to ride the singletrack downhill through the trees on the east of the park again adjacent to the fire road, (its location is a bit of a mish mash just after the turning but its on the rhs of the fire road further down) through the gates, into more singletrack and it pops you out just above the uni car park.

lovely jubbly. its my extended commute home :-).

you`ll be knackered and have a massive grin before you even start the ride.

the second part of singletrack is best ridden as hard as possible. if you mince its a bit crap with no flow.

oh and watch out for sniper stumps. the trail pixies seem to like leaving 6″ sticking out hte ground for reasons best known to themselves.

*looks at clock, looks at window, its my birthday, work can wait* i`m off up there now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is Stanmer easy to navigate’ is closed to new replies.