Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Is Snake Pass rideable ?
  • thepodge
    Free Member

The only bit of Snake that is legally closed is 200m in the middle.

If you’re happy to ride Doctors Gate then just take this diversion.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FNlQmIvWQAwHNga?format=jpg&name=large

el_boufador

Awesome, just what I was after 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Agreed, awesome work Podge

Superficial
    Free Member

Does that mean there’s no walkers allowed on that 200m section? I assumed TROs were for vehicles, but it seems sometimes pedestrians do count. If we’re on foot, perhaps we are allowed to walk (carry?) a bike across there?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think some if the responses to proposed limits to that opportunity were over the top and smacked of entitlement.

I was going UK argue this point, but then….

Does that mean there’s no walkers allowed on that 200m section? I assumed TROs were for vehicles, but it seems sometimes pedestrians do count. If we’re on foot, perhaps we are allowed to walk (carry?) a bike across there?

😀
    I’m starting to get where you’re coming from!

crazy-legs

It’s a TRO with exemptions. Residents, Highways vehicles, emergency services can all get through. They do have CCTV on it now – whether that is connected up to ANPR I have no idea. However, if a vehicle can get through it, there’s legally nothing to stop a bike going through. It’s in no more danger than a vehicle is and it’s not causing any issues…

I guess once they actually start working on it, things will be considerably more restricted if there’s heavy machinery in operation but right now, the major problem is the guys at either end and if they’re being jobsworths or not.

thepodge
    Free Member

The diversion comes from CTC / Cycling UK.

If you look really closely there is a private road between the footpath and the road at the most Western bit of the diversion. I imagine if you are polite then it should not be an issue.

As for passing through the actual closed bit, I imagine it depends on the people there at the time. If there is no machinery moving and you’re one of the first people then they might let you through. If there’s massive machines moving and they are bored of people asking then it’ll be a flat “sod off”. I guess they couldn’t give two hoots about legality and even less about people trying to be clever and spouting legalese at them, all they will be bothered about is getting the job done without fuss.

MoreCashThanDash

I guess once they actually start working on it, things will be considerably more restricted 

My understanding was that work was already underway which was why the week day closure was in force? Anyone know for definite?

I’ve never bothered to get up early enough to go up and ride it, maybe this summer I’ll have a go. 10 years driving it most weeks when I worked that patch never made me tire of the route though. Apart from the day I was going from Hathersage to Glossop and got right to the top before finding the road blocked by a burning bin lorry – that’s a **** Ballachulish (I’m leaving that auto correct in!) of a diversion.

crazy-legs

My understanding was that work was already underway which was why the week day closure was in force? Anyone know for definite?

Based on me going through there on Saturday afternoon…

There were more barriers and cones up around the damaged bits of road. The collapsed section has temporary traffic lights on it too.

There was (as of Saturday) no actual machinery in evidence. One of the laybys further down had some sort of temporary hut thing in it which could have been connected to the works.

The latest update from the council (or from a Councillor) was that the area was still moving as it dried out and they can’t actually start doing anything until the ground is stabilised. As I understand it at the moment, it’s a case of monitor it and work out what to do, not actually get in there and start pouring concrete.

I’ll try and ride it on Thursday evening, it’s the soonest I can get out of work early enough to get over there for a reasonable time.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m starting to get where you’re coming from!

Ha.

I suppose my thinking is partly along the line of risk, and partly asking where you draw the distinctions of pedestrian <–> cyclist <–> car. Pedestrians seem to have all sorts of rights: right of way on roads, right to roam etc. Cars obviously less and bikes are sandwiched somewhere in the middle. Sometimes playing Devil’s Advocate in this situation makes people how arbitrary the rules are.

As far as risk (of further subsidence) is concerned, I’m sure that a cyclist is no more danger than a pedestrian, so perhaps the pedestrian rules ought to apply? Which is why I was asking if it’s closed to pedestrians too.

crazy-legs

If anyone is interested there’s another “mass trespass” event planned for Saturday. 2pm, Glossop Square.

I’d be happier if they simply branded it as a family fun day out on bikes or something rather than the more antagonistic “trespass” moniker but whatever.

The Derbyshire Times article from last week’s event led with “Angry cyclists defy road closure…” and it was then accompanied by pics of smiling happy relaxed cyclists of all ages and on all types of bike. No anger in evidence.
    But it did the job for clickbait, the comments section was filled with angry gammons defying logic and common sense.

fossy

It’s got out of control with the closure. I can appreciate the construction teams getting a little concerned with loads of cyclists mid week, but it was never an issue at the weekend. It’s an over-reaction caused by a few folk being a little stupid. I think they had people posing for pictures on the ‘slipping’ road.

The guy ‘organising’ it was getting the train to Glossop from Manchester… why not ride it, it’s not far ?

Rich_s

For true gammon content, listen to yesterday’s Jeremy Vine lunchtime show on R2. The “local government” guy was truly a thing to behold. The guy who did the organising of the trespass came across well, but missed several chances to ask the gammon if he even had the slightest clue where the Snake was, let alone be there.

thepodge
    Free Member

I too think the term Trespass isn’t doing them any favours but I am fully behind the sentiment and action.

I think more needs to be made of the fact that the trespass doesn’t go within about 3 miles of the landslips and the whole road is still open to residents, their visitors and farm traffic as so many people seem to think that cycling anywhere near the landslip might cause another.

So odd that people concerned for cyclists safety seem to be the same people that aren’t concerned about cyclists safety.

crazy-legs

So odd that people concerned for cyclists safety seem to be the same people that aren’t concerned about cyclists safety.

Drivers: you need to get off the roads, use cycle paths.
    Cyclists: OK, we’ll go play on this closed road away from all the traffic.
    Drivers: NO, NOT LIKE THAT!

crazy-legs

Just been over it, Ladybower -> Glossop.

The previous overzealous use of barriers at the entrance has gone, replaced by a simple line of cones and some Road Closed signs. One guy in a van who didn’t even look up as I rode through.

Did the whole stretch, all on road, saw about 6 other cyclists and NO cars. Well, none moving, there were 3 parked up at the summit, guessing walkers who’d gone off to the plane wreck. The collapsed bit hasn’t got any worse, it’s all well-barriered but there was no-one working on it.

A few bits of heavy machinery in a layby just down from the old Snake Pass Inn but no people in evidence and that’s still a good couple of miles away from the landslide area.

Stunning late afternoon up there – blue sky, a gentle tailwind, completely quiet.

BadlyWiredDog

@crazy-legs Given that you appear to have ridden over the Snake Pass about 70 times in the last fortnight, is it fair to say that it’s not actually closed to cyclists at all?

Has anyone really been prevented from riding it or are we just dealing with a sign and some disapproving looks?

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve heard reports of a couple of cyclists being stopped at Ladybower but I believe they continued on, also heard about a couple of people being stopped by workers near the landslip but it’s all “friend of a friend on twitter”. I’m not convinced the guys at each end are paid enough to get out of their vans and enforce anything.

I was going to happily do it again this weekend but looks like I’m otherwise busy.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’ve just done this. From Sheffield and up to the top and back. Bloody glorious, can’t recommend it enough. It wasn’t looking good on the way out as I was being passed by an almost constant stream of motorbikes and cars with big exhausts and bigger spoilers. But once past the road closed signs and cones I probably saw ten cars and about five people on bikes there and back.

crazy-legs

There was another “mass trespass” ride from Glossop to the summit yesterday and I saw on Strava that a couple of friends rode the full length from the Ladybower side.

Yesterday was glorious weather – I was climbing Man Nick from Edale, I’ve never seen so many roadies coming down it! Constant stream of cyclists.

fossy

I rode it yesterday morning, Glossop and back via Mam Nick – two big club runs going over from Sheffield side. Not many going up from Glossop.
    Given the lack of progress, I can see the road being closed for ages.

Mam Nick was hard work on a 39 x 26.

thepodge
    Free Member

I did Ladybower Glossop Ladybower yesterday, was good… Still not 100% nob head driver free, DCC van doing quick laps, motorbikes on racing lines and an oblivious family at the top but in the 2+ hours we were out it was less than I get on my daily 13 minute commute.

Got intentionally close passed by some outdoor hipster in his massive BMW because he’s a nob and perhaps because I told him if he parks where it says don’t park then horses can’t get down from Fairholmes.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Mam Nick was hard work on a 39 x 26.

Why do [old?] roadies do this? Brag about having the wrong gear setup…

They don’t brag about having no front wheel, or having the bars on the wrong way, so why is it seen by some as the height of awesomeness to be in the wrong gear?

😕

crazy-legs

so why is it seen by some as the height of awesomeness to be in the wrong gear?

It’s not a true road ride unless you SUFFER. Epically.

If you can suffer in black and white, *that* is the height of awesomeness. 😉

fossy

Because that’s the lowest gear that is on my classic road bike. This is on my Ribble 653 with old skool Ultegra, and the rear mech won’t take more than a 26, and the front is 130 BCD. Same issue with my similar aged Columbus SLX frame bike with 7402 Dura Ace – keeping both original so the gears are a bit large.

So I’m a bit stuck. Gone are the days of Winnats on 42 x 21 OMG

jambourgie
    Free Member

Meh, do Winnats on a fixie twice a day.

MartynS

jambourgie
    Free Member

Meh, do Winnats on a fixie twice a day.

Posted 9 minutes ago

Meh
    Do it three times a day, after a 27 hour working day, and sleeping in an inflated sheeps bladder getting up 3 hours before I go to bed having had a cup of hot gravel for breakfast..
    Don’t come round here with your “suffering”

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Because that’s the lowest gear that is on my classic road bike. ..the rear mech won’t take more than a 26, and the front is 130 BCD. …keeping both original so the gears are a bit large.

Fair point, well made. 😄

/ gets back in his grumpy box

Soz

jambourgie
    Free Member

gravel

Gravel? Gravel! What I’d give for a hot cup of gravel half way up Winnats. Luxury! I have to make do with a sachet full of desiccant.

crazy-legs

https://www.facebook.com/RobertLargan4HighPeak/posts/387376913208896

Post from High Peak MP Robert Largan – Snake Pass reopens tomorrow with several sections of temporary traffic lights. I like the bit where he says “I am pleased to report that the Snake Pass (A57) is due to re-open tomorrow to all traffic, including pedestrians and cyclists…”

Can’t imagine any pedestrians suddenly want to start mixing with traffic. If ever it needed some sort of mass trespass, it’d be once it’s re-opened!

Might head out there tonight to ride it one last time before the traffic comes back.

thepodge
    Free Member

Glad I rode it yesterday then if it’s reopening. Obviously all the hot air about it being dangerous for cyclists was rubbish as it’s now open to much larger traffic.

Wondering if the council’s ineptitude and misinformation will now be all over the local news, probably not as there’s no anti cycling rage to be had.

crazy-legs

Got the train out to Hope (didn’t have time to ride the full circuit), rode up to Ladybower. No traffic management anywhere in sight, just some barriers and cones. One car came past as i was riding up to the landslip section but other than that it was virtually deserted. One rider on the descent as I stopped in the woodland section for photos and a couple more heading up from Glossop side as I was on the descent.

No evidence of traffic management at Glossop either.

Just so peaceful – glorious sunny evening, hardly any wind. I just freewheeled most of the descent, barely touched the brakes. Not trying to smash it at all, just a really relaxing and flowing descent. I guess we’ve been lucky with the weather window – other than some very strong winds at times it’s been sunny and dry, ideal for enjoying it while it’s been closed. It was nice while it lasted.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just so peaceful – glorious sunny evening

Yeah, it was really lovely weather when I went on Saturday too. I didn’t actually plan to ride it so I was wearing a vest and tiny shorts. Got to the summit about 7pm and remembered that it’s still March 🙂

The descent back to Sheffield was amazing but my poor arms were frozen stiff by the time I got home.

MoreCashThanDash

I didn’t actually plan to ride it so I was wearing a vest and tiny shorts

That sounds very wrong….

BadlyWiredDog

DCC says the Snake Pass is re-opening tomorrow afternoon, with three sets of temporary traffic lights. If you weigh more than 7.5 tonnes, you’re not welcome and you should probably go on a diet anyway. The good news is that according to their FB, it’s ‘open to pedestrians’ 🙂

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/council/news-events/news-updates/news/safety-first-approach-to-reopen-a57-snake-pass.aspx?

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.