• This topic has 95 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Is Scottish cooking really that bad……
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=Tay+caged+salmon&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

No references to any salmon farms on the Tay.
    No references that i could see on any “large scale escapes” into the Tay

Can you post a link to one of these stories?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

anti-haggis fencing alongside the Fort Bill DH course, though only down one side of course.

nonsense, they’ll be welcomed in and used as obstacles

sootyandjim
    Free Member

As soon as I have access to proper internet rather than mobile internet I will.

Junkyard
    Free Member

And someone mentioned that half the starred restaurants in London are French, or something

Yet more of your powerful use of facts to thwart me in my claims that you pontificate with limited knowledge ….damn I feel so foolish now Sorry.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

mysterymurdoch – Member

Regarding the michelin stars:

72 michelin restaurants in England. Half of these are in Mayfair, most of those are French restaurants. About 1.4 restaurants per million population.

Not my facts, actually.

And I have no idea why you have such a problem with my comments on this thread. Get a grip. I’m not trying to ‘thwart’ you or anyone else, merely express an opinion.

Or was that an onion..?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just baiting you as a bit bored 😆
    Sorry I have not even read the rest of the thread 😳

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

s&j
    I understand that salmon live in salt water until they migrate, which is why the farms tend to be in sea lochs. The Tay is saline from it’s mouth (Arbroath) to about Newburgh, an area I sail in and have charts of. There are no salmon farms in this area. From newburgh up, the Tay is fresh water which I believe makes it and Loch Tay unsuitable for farming.
    BUT, there are also trout farms in the area, serving the fairly large loch fishing industry in the area. These use fresh water, and I believe they are located next to rivers in order to divert some of the river flow through the farm to clean and refresh the farms. There have been escapes from the trout farms. But they’re trout, not salmon (although trout are part of the salmonid family – salmo trutta in the case of brown trout).

uplink
    Free Member

Agree? Do the maths for me and show me the results to support any argument against this please.

No, I don’t agree, they’re about the same

Your Mayfair figure though was ~250% out

138 Michelin star restaurants in England – ~ 2.76 /million
    13 Michelin star restaurants in Scotland – ~ 2.6 /million

19 of the English restaurants are in Mayfair – ~14.4%

uponthedowns
    Free Member

At least Tom Kitchin has just won the Scottish heat of the Great British Menu so some justice there. The other guys food looked a bit too poncey

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As soon as I have access to proper internet rather than mobile internet I will.

well it’s been a few hours, so you will what?

Apologise for

I’m afraid the “la la la, I can’t hear you” approach to ignoring facts was out-ruled by the 1982 ‘Now now children’ Act.

or, if in doubt, make it up and hope the people you’re adopting a patronising and insulting approach to don’t actually know how to use Google

Idiot – are you at the same school as PaddedRudeFred?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have family allegiances both sides of the border (unlike that plastic Scot who normally turns up in any thread remotely associated with Scotland)

= I know someone who lives in Scotland, so I know more about the Tay’s ecosystem than a resident of Tayside and member of the Royal Tay Yachting Club. But not that plastic Scot who normally turns up in any thread remotely associated with Scotland

NZCol

I’m a picky food snob. And I’m scottish too.
    Living in NZ i think i’m prety spoilt on quality food really so was quite interested to be back in Soctland 3 times last year and early this year and try out a few spots. We had dinner one night at the Peat Inn – was fantastic if not a little starchy in the service department. Also had tea at Applecross and it was superb as well. generally I found the level and wuality of food to be good esp. the Haggis Supper from the chippy in Granton which was a full haggis halfed and battered just like it used to be when i worked near there and of course chip sauce.
    I’ve eaten in a few Michelin starred restaurants in my time and while incredibly good i’m not sure that most people would ‘get’ the food all the time. A simply cooked meal of quality local ingredients prepared by a good chef in my opinion is all you need. Dog c@ck ice cream qwith roasted fillet of cat litter for example may sound lovely but in all reality locally made ice cream with some fresh fruit would be almost as good. Anyway, get back to arguing about salmon. 😀

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Agree? Do the maths for me and show me the results to support any argument against this please.

No, I don’t agree, they’re about the same

Your Mayfair figure though was ~250% out

138 Michelin star restaurants in England – ~ 2.76 /million
    13 Michelin star restaurants in Scotland – ~ 2.6 /million

19 of the English restaurants are in Mayfair – ~14.4%

Well considering you omitted 5 in the count of scottish stars, I don’t see any credibility in your maths either!

uplink
    Free Member

juan
    Free Member

interestingly, from a continental point of view, sctotish cuisine is the less worst of the kingdom.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Is Scottish cooking really that bad……’ is closed to new replies.