Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Is Peloton really worth $8bn?
  • thisisnotaspoon

Not really, a basic smart turbo is under £500 and you can use the phone / iPad you already have….

And if you quote the next sentance too I pointed out the advantage zwift has is the entry level option (dumb trainer and an old laptop) which is basicly no cost.

But the point was that plenty of “cyclists” are happily paying similar sums of money to ride on zwift. How much does 30sqft of your shed cost 😉🤣 ?

pdw
    Free Member

What’s the churn on users? Is it in the IPO docs (I work in a bank and we’re not allowed to look at such things)

Yes, although there’s been some interesting analysis of the impressively low 0.7% reported.

This IPO is exquisitely timed to occur just before lapses can really kick in from the phasing out of the 12-36 month lock-in subscription periods, per p. 67 of the S-1. So some large chunk of the historical “subscriptions” weren’t even eligible for cancellation

EDIT – click on the twitter icon to see the full thread.

cookeaa

Interesting, The other day a friend of mine who’s a keen roadie and Zwifter said he was considering getting a Peloton bike and sub for his missus as she’d had a go on his watt bike with zwift and her first comment was “It’s not like a spin class”… Then He looked at the price of a Peloton bike and it becae a rapid “Nope”.

I just don’t think their business model works, the cost of the kit (which is actually optional, but they give the impression you need their bike), plus the Subs, just make it prohibitively expensive (IMO). They’re never going to make the sales to match the valuation.
    They are not really insulated from any competition, there are similar alternatives already out there, perhaps more focussed on “serious cyclists” but all a potential competitor needs to do is offer a similar service pitched more towards an aspirational “General fitness” market, without pushing £2ks worth of proprietary hardware or an expensive £300-500 p/a sub and they’ll take the game…

timbog160

Getting up and running on Zwift has cost me a grand total of just over £100. I just use a semi-smart TACX trainer, which is fine for me. I put a road tyre on my old hardtail, already have an ipad, and a spare telly. Jobs a good un!!

ajaj
    Free Member

The FT comments section is offering a tutorial on how to short the stock!

But it’s also got a few people for whom £2000 is worth it not to have to faff with Zwift, unreliable turbo trainers or gym membership.

footflaps

But it’s also got a few people for whom £2000 is worth it not to have to faff with Zwift, unreliable turbo trainers or gym membership.

Yep, but there’s not 46m of them!

crazy-legs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49776849

It’s only “worth” that much in stock valuation.

eddiebaby

I love the hype in these situations. It’s a bit like this Forestal bikes thing on the front page. “Biggest bike company you’ve never heard of” despite never shipping a unit. It’s all about PR, build support and increase corporate value.

I always thought the biggest company most people hadn’t heard of was some bike builder like Merida but it seems not.

Strange days.

kennyp
    Free Member

Could I interest anyone in some tulips?

And some land in Panama to grow them on.

benpinnick

The FOMO is strong in Wall St at the moment. They’ll get burned again soon enough and we’ll all have to pick up the pieces (Again).

leffeboy

CFH has it.  It is clearly worth it but not to me or anyone I know

DezB
    Free Member

I think ‘trendy’. Well targeted ads, celeb endorsements, at the absolute peak of value right now.
    But like any and every indoor in-the-home exercise equipment, interest will wane, something else will come along for those types that follow trends (Fitbit anyone) and eBay will be overrun with static bikes with a tablet attached in a year or so.
    They’re doing a jogging machine next! 😂

sparksmcguff

Massively over valued.

timbog160

I’m not a big runner but do have a treadmill for occasional winter use. I’ve only just realised you only need a 30 quid footpod to run on zwift so I’m going to give it a go. Again, it’s 30 quid not 2 grand!

ajaj
    Free Member

Down 11% on day 1.

$100m down. Hopefully not from my pension.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I just say how pleased I am to see folks getting that reference!

robowns
    Free Member

The FOMO is strong in Wall St at the moment. They’ll get burned again soon enough and we’ll all have to pick up the pieces (Again).

Ben’s smashed it. I work in the industry and if one made a splash and I missed, it’d be me on the block.

That being said, this is a dud.

dovebiker

Haven’t they just been landed with a $300m lawsuit for the unlicensed use of music?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Could I interest anyone in some tulips?

Do you accept bitcoin?

tjagain

I got it as well CFH.

tjagain

pump and dump?

timbog160

Continues to fall…now down to 6.7bn

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Is Peloton really worth $8bn?’ is closed to new replies.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.