Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)
  • Is obesity really a disease?
  • cinnamon_girl

No, but you adjust your diet accordingly?

One of the symptoms is loss of appetite, I ate very little. My body is swollen with excess fluid.

cinnamon_girl this is difficult to say but I really don’t think its a sizeable amount. Diabetes is on the increase, so is peoples wait due to lifestyle AND diet.

I’ve seen the figure of 2% of the population having a thyroid disorder. Many people are fine with the right meds. I have an uncommon type and self-medicate with drugs I buy from outside the UK. Despite a family history, I was not listened to by GPs.

tomhoward

No.

It’s a symptom of an over active pie and beer arm.

transporter13
    Free Member

Being an obese person myself who until only last week did nothing about it, I can say (for me) that lifestyle choices play a huge role in determine your size.

From a young age I’ve always been heavier than my peers. Always ate properly ie fresh chicken/rice/pasta/veg/fish etc but I have always eaten larger portions as I was always riding/swimming/boxing/Thai boxing/playing footy. I also did a lot of heavy lifting in the gym.

My downfall came with a change of job (gym instructor>bus/lorry driver) which led to long periods of being stationary but also still having the mindset that I needed large portions of food. This carried on even though my excercise became less and less. I realised that I was getting bigger and bigger but didn’t really worry about it as I always used the excuse that I ate well so was still relatively fit. Anyway. Fast forward to last week, I went into town with the wife and youngest daughter and spotted myself in a shop window. Reality hit home. I was horrified to be honest. When I got home I weighed myself(last time I was 25st) and the scales read a whopping 27 1/2 stone or 173.5kg.
    I immediately cut my bowl of Alpen out for breakfast
    Also cut out my 2 ham salad rolls out that I usually ate for lunch and have cut my dinners down to smaller portions whilst stopping the intake of pasta completely.

Instead, I’ve taken up a plan from herbalife which replaces breakfast and dinner with shakes and small snacks in between( which I’d never had before so feels strange). This feels like I’m eating more but calorific intake is drastically down on before.

From being 27 1/2 st last Sunday night when I started to Sunday just gone I’ve lost 6 pounds without the chance for much excercise (work)

My aim is to drop to 17st initially and then see what I can do from there.

Just my 2p

Regards
    Gary

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I find it slightly uncomfortable to criticise people for a unhealthy sedentary lifestyle when most jobs are office based, and given the economy isn’t particular great at the moment, lots of people are forced into longer commutes just to find work (this happened to me, cycling to work replaced by driving). Then with what little time people do have left they’ve got to shop/feed a family on a limited budget. I’m not that surprised many people turn to processed foods. Even stuff that looks healthy often has loads of fat/salt hidden in it. Every attempt by the government to make labelling clearer is blocked by the food industry lobbyists.

The “obese” label kicks in relatively quickly too, in fact, i’m technically obese according to this – http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/healthyweightcalculator.aspx – so this isn’t the huge super fatties you see being cut out of their own houses.

I think its a symptom of modern lifestyle for most people.

camo16
    Free Member

Good luck, Gary… let us know how you get on.

cinnamon_girl

How much of it is down to a ‘victim’ mentality?

I would say this is a complex subject and there are no definitive answers. Much of the blame should be with the food companies for selling products with excess sugar/fat/whatever with the resulting ‘addictions’.

The bigger picture also needs to be looked at, for example, endocrine disruptors.

transporter13 – much respect for your achievements and wish you good luck.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I am 17 stone or more. I ride at least 100 kilometers every week on lovely trails, but I love food. I don’t drink or smoke. Like Gary, I eat healthy food.

I constantly feel under threat due to opinionated, rude and ill informed numpties like Xiphon. I am happy you feel so secure in your existence.

For anybody else that took offence by his ridiculous statements, if like me you know what you want to achieve and it’s hard, my message is this

Not being slim does not make us bad people.

Xiphon, I don’t wish you anything but happiness, but I do hope you wake up to the fact that we are all different and whilst you are entitled to your opinions, I call you what you are:

A Troll

cinnamon_girl

AndyRT – agreed, well said.

I find it pretty difficult to post on this thread but I will continue to attempt to educate people concerning thyroid disorders. After all, I’ve also been educating GPs to dispel their belief that I’m a fat moaning menopausal woman. 😐

OK, I’ll shut up now. 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I reckon STW obesity threads are an addiction.

hora
    Free Member

transporter13

:mrgreen:

xiphon
    Free Member

Good luck Gary!

I have a friend who ballooned to 26st about 2 years ago (Officer on a cruise ship – too easy to eat 3 cooked meals a day!) – now he’s 13 stone (and fit as a fiddle). Similar to yourself, he looked at his reflection and was quite shocked…

Apparently it was the longest two years of this life!

Keep your chin(s) up 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

Obesity is no more a disease than having a low I.Q. In the vast majority of cases is the result of eating too much and moving too little. Anyone who disputes this needs to look at the facts and statistics.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=obesity+statistics+worldwide&safe=off&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=uGjJUdiGH-XF0QWcl4GACg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=1745&bih=868

camo16
    Free Member

Anyone who disputes this needs to look at the facts and statistics.

I dunno, man, I heard that 74% of Internet arguments use too many facts and statistics.

shermer75
    Free Member

dis·ease
    /di?z?z/
    Noun

1. A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a…
    2. A particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

transporter13
    Free Member

Like andyrt. I don’t smoke or drink. But I do agree with xiphon in that if you eat too much regardless of food type and don’t excercise then you will be bigger than necessary.
    Genetic makeup could account for some but with no experience I can’t say.

Camo 16. Cheers bud. Hopefully it won’t be down to luck but instead me making sure I want it enough not to get bored of doing it.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Not everyone who is obese is guilty of over-eating. Stop being so judgemental.

They are guilty of either eating the wrong things or over eating.

How else are they consuming more calories than they can burn?

In > Out = Gain weight
    Out > In = Loose weight
    In = Out = Neither loose nor gain.

This sounds great but is wrong. It’s about what you eat more than how much.

Two examples:

1. Imagine one person who’s diet is 2000 cals a day of table sugar and a second who’s diet is a mix of vegetables, meat, eggs, fish and healthy fats, again 2000 calories. There body composition and health will be very different after a month.

2. This guy is doing a challenge where he’s eating in excess of 5000 calories a day to prove it’s about what not how much

Sorry, but once you start putting up equations something has to be done!

On the origial point. I guess it is a disease because it’s something that’s wrong with your body with defined symptoms. It slighty sticks in the throat because of how it’s self caused in the vast majority of cases and the inference that if it’s a disease then medicine should be used to treat it.

Very easily treated with lifestyle changes. Unfortunately a lot of the embedded knowledge in the medical sector and outside is a bit out of skew – see above!

camo16
    Free Member

Camo 16. Cheers bud. Hopefully it won’t be down to luck but instead me making sure I want it enough not to get bored of doing it.

Positive vibes…

When you’re super buff, can you please post a picture of yourself in some enormous trousers? 😀

Seriously, I wish you well. Sounds like your head is in the right place.

zilog6128

That’s just a weird western perception. Anywhere else in the world being fat means you’re rich, not broken.

Never seen a northerner pat his belly and proudly say “all bought and paid for”?

zilog6128

But I do agree with xiphon in that if you eat too much regardless of food type and don’t excercise then you will be bigger than necessary.

This is true. You could eat nothing but healthy food, but if you eat more than your body needs you’ll still be fat. I also think people often over-emphasise exercise/activity whereas IMO diet (quality & quantity) is by far the biggest factor.

@transporter13: my advice would be to search for iDave diet threads (contentious issue alert!). For a chap of your size the weight will just fall off, and that will be all the motivation you need to keep going. It worked for me (lost 3 stone in 4 months). Good luck.

jfletch
    Free Member

I’ve seen the figure of 2% of the population having a thyroid disorder. Many people are fine with the right meds. I have an uncommon type and self-medicate with drugs I buy from outside the UK. Despite a family history, I was not listened to by GPs.

I appreciate that for you this is a big issue but you seem to have found the source of your issue (even if self medicating from dodgy imported drugs will sound like twaddle to most of us).

But at a population level 2% or even 5% is very low. Its not a very helpful message to get out to people that they may be overweight because of some mysterious condition when the overwhelming probability is that they are just eating too much and exercising too little.

Fat people need to eat less. End of.

If after doing that they aren’t losing weight then other options should be looked at, but the overwhelming probability is that they eat too much. And even when they say they have cut down the overwhelming probability is that they still eat too much, but are just unaware of what they are eating or blatanly lying.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

or blatanly lying.

Fat people are liars !

AndyRT
    Free Member

So we are just lazy liars.

Nice.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Fat lazy liars.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Ah yes, I forgot that bit.

hmanchester
    Free Member

or blatanly lying.

Fat people are liars !

I think the “or” means that this applies to some people not all people.

Fairly inflammatory remark but probably got the reaction he was looking for.

jfletch
    Free Member

So we are just lazy liars.

Yep – All of you!

Of course not all fat people are liars, that isn’t what I said.

But >=95% of fat people are fat because they eat too much. <95% of fat people will admit this.

nickc

thread needs mor Molgrips

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

this applies to some people not all people.

Well clearly not everyone is a fat liar.

transporter13
    Free Member

Ernie. I resent that remark

I don’t lie

AndyRT
    Free Member

I am 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

thread needs mor Molgrips

Don’t panic, here I am 🙂

Our bodies respond differently to different stimuli. Just look at that congenitally unfit thread from yesterday. It seems to be perfectly fine to have a body that won’t respond to exercise, but if you have one that tends to gain fat more easily you get derided as a lazy pathetic slob.

We all know people who eat loads and are very skinny. We all know fat people. Some of those fat people will be eating a lot more than others. If you do a bit of biking and eat normally, and are skinny, you congratulate yourself on maintaining your weight. I do a bit of biking (often more than a bit) and I eat normally, and I weigh 14st at 5’11”

It really galls to be lectured on being a fat weak minded slob by you lot, when I go to the canteen at work for my unsweetened coffee and there are skinny people who do less exercise than me popping muffins and crisps.

Most people can get fat if they pig out, and skinny if they train, but how readily that change occurs varies massively. My sister for instance pigged out and drank a lot before she was 30 without any exercise, she gained maybe a stone of extra weight in all that time, and lost it when she settled down. Doing the same thing causes some people to become obese.

brakes
    Free Member

so therefore people need to be able to modify their eating based on their own ability to deal with food.
    it’s about education, not medication.

EDIT: there’s also an age consideration here – people need to reduce their calorie intake as they get older, their physiology changes and they become less active. the opposite tends to happen and people eat more as they get older.

AndyRT
    Free Member

It’s also about other factors…stress, depression, anxiety…all triggers for eating for some of us.

What gets me is that I hate rubbish food… But I travel a lot. Show me where you can get away from cheap nasty food!

I don’t crave cheese of sugar…of burgers or pizza or any other stuff, but on a normal motorway services it’s all the choice your given.

I choose to wait until I get home or wait until I’m near a supermarket, but surely healthier food could be offered????

Peyote
    Free Member

it’s about education, not medication.

This is a branch of medecine that is so often under exploited. Not surprisingly considering the lack of profits GSK and Pfizer can (or can’t rather) make out of it.

Behaviour change and education are the two major stumbling blocks to our maintaining our current lifestyles.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. But self denial is pretty difficult on a permanent basis. Especially when the link between food, pleasure and satisfaction is so deeply hard-wired into our brains.

Some people need only deny themselves that afternoon cake or a second helping of pudding; some people don’t need to deny anything, and some have to take more drastic steps like cutting out all sugar and starch.

binners

If only people would stopped making really nice pies, then I’d be fine. Instead, they keep doing things like this…

Its almost like they want me to be a porker. The monsters!!!! 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

I went from size 10 to size 18 with no change in a decent diet.

With all due respect, as I know you’ve bad huge problems but why on earth do you have to self-medicate. Surely if they have now identified the problem, you should be treated within he NHS. Sorry if I missed part of he saga but I’m genuinely interested as my Mother is borderline under-active thyroid.

fwiw I think that calling it a disease is disastrous and is only going to make a lot of people, from gastric band surgeons down to quack dieticians, a lot of money. Will anyone be able to afford medical insurance in The States if treatment becomes commonplace (I imagine the insurance companies will have a no-treatment clause pretty sharpish)

Like a few posters above, I believe the vast majority of overweight people are not guilty of anything other than enjoying their food WAY too much. No excuses really and I speak as someone who by NHS criteria is obese.

What is needed is a major shift in how Western society, USA and UK particularly, view food and exercise. It needs a major shift in what is ‘the norm’, for both food and alcohol consumption.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

human creatures are addicted to sugars.
    it was a survival trait.
    western society has lots of cheap food easily available.
    addicts with easy supply.

disease? well the clasification as a disease is understandable but its a survival gene we all carry, we pass it on to our kids, I dont think its a disease but its certainly a plague in western society. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s some evidence that the way we make our food makes the problem far worse. Things like high fructose corn syrup being included in loads of foods in the US. Yes, people still over-eat, but it seems the consequences could be made worse by certain things.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Is obesity really a disease?’ is closed to new replies.