Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • is No Deal inevitable?
  • mattyfez

Haven’t the EU stated that “no deal” means absolutely no transition – we immediately crash-

out and start trading on 3rd country / WTO terms which would be catastrophic for areas like farming and many industries. There’s already a majority in parliament against “no deal” and it would be the point that only the real head-banger Euro-sceptics would vote for it.

Yup.

The UK was in ‘check mate’ as soon as a50 was actioned with no UK consensus.

The fact that that’s been ignored by both the Conservatives and Labour ever since, is of no consequence.

MSP

The trouble is, there isn’t time to enact legislation against the governments wishes to stop “no deal” It now needs the government to cooperate in asking for a lengthy extension. With May rumoured to bring her deal back to the house again, she is playing chicken with her deal against no deal.

mattyfez

Hence i think it will come down to a crunch commons vote, no deal V’s. Retract article 50, at the 11th hour.

And we already know there’s no appetite for ‘no deal’.

Check.

And

Mate.

We just need to watch the clock run down now. So nothing new there.

alpin
    Free Member

How’s things looking now?

Sky bet is now saying 50/50 on UK leaving on 31.10. and no chance of a referendum before then.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t work out if the government is trying to bluff the EU or genuinely wants a no-deal brexit.

How about you? Did you get your dual-nationality sorted?

dogbone

E.U. won’t budge. They really do have more important things to deal with.

Im hoping the French will open the gates and let anyone who wants to hop on a ferry to Dover. Uk have no idea of what an immigration crisis look like.

alpin
    Free Member

No. Hence my worries…. I’ll update on that other thread.

dogbone

I can get a Spanish passport  but would have to give up my UK one ( they don’t allow dual).  Which would complicate things.

5lab

the longer we plunge towards no deal, the better the limited deal we have looks, and the more decisive a future election will be (if it happens). I think its all posturing for one of those 2 outcomes

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m still hoping those MPs against No Deal will sort themselves out, Corbyn calls a VONC and an interim cabinet gets another extension from the EU, to get that second referendum or simply get this shambles stopped by the MPs themselves.

chewkw
    Free Member

It will be no deal as EU already said no more negotiation. IMO it is either take their terms or leave it.

PM Johnson is trying to help EU see their ways but as a bureaucratic entity that ain’t going to happen because in bureaucracy nobody wants to take the blame to be seen as the weak link.

If PM Johnson take their terms Conservative party will be history for good. Absolutely.

If PM Johnson stands up to EU and take no deal he will be seen as hero and will rule for 3 terms until he gets back stab by his own party members.

tjagain

I can’t work out if the government is trying to bluff the EU or genuinely wants a no-deal brexit.

Johnson is playing to his crowd. Thats all it is. He does not care if we crash out without a deal and all the damage it will cause. He just wants to be PM and he is setting up a narrative that crashing out is someone elses fault so he can win an election off the back of that

He is not trying to bluff the EU – he must know that is not going to happen. If he doesn’t now then he will later in the week after Merkel and Macron have finished with him

I suspect as well he really does not understand how bad it will be – he is surrounded by leavers who all go around reinforcing their own view.

Also – follow the money.

tjagain

NO deal is not inevitable – but to stop it means a significant number of tory MPs putting country before party.

If they do not and we crash out without a deal the tory party is dead IMO – the damage and backlash will be so great

sr0093193
    Free Member

A positive to Brexit at last!

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘is No Deal inevitable?’ is closed to new replies.