Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Is Neil Oliver finished?
  • labsey
    Free Member

I often wear a buff when cycling… a buff? An buff? Who knows?

zippykona

Being common as muck I’ve never pronounced the h in hotel in my life , therefore an ‘otel sounds proper.

Poopscoop

I’m so common when I try to say hotel it comes out as hostel.

I’ve actually stayed in hostels far more than I have hotels though.

Only once ever in a hotel actually, come to think of it.

I’m a cheapskate.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Oliver just a few hrs ago implicity called for anarchy and insurrection without explicitly calling for anarchy and insurrection. Widening that divide. Maybe his star is in the ascendant and Britain needs Arthur ‘Fawkes’ Pendragon again, in time of need?

Such is what his fans and disciples seem to be getting from his sermons/calls to arms/doom-speeches? Read the comments (I’ll screenshot and save you the bother of giving GBeebies free traffic):

I get what he’s saying if the gulag scenario happens. But as of now I’m getting a lot more of a sense of pmantomime grifting and outrage-peddling? More:

Poopscoop

Wonder how he would feel if the anarchy enveloped his house/street.

I’m guessing that would be “a bad thing”.

Amazed he still lives in Scotland. He’s gone full English, plastic patriot.

What a shameless fool.

grum
    Free Member

Imagine a Trump style insurrection on parliament led by Neil Oliver.

Poopscoop

Neil would be “with them” just like Trump was with his supporters the day of the attempted insurrection.

…A bloody good distance away.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I think he’s just still sore that Coogan bewt him to his own dream sequence:

(from 58 secs in)

Alan’s Battle Re-enactment

I’m still not convinced that ‘Neil’ isn’t actually Coogan/Partridge performing deep and murky satire as an artform

p7eaven
    Free Member

beat him to his own dream-sequence.

Article 2: Using an overlay the faces align so perfectly that it doesn’t seem to matter if Alan’s topface has Neil’s bottomface, or vice versa. Here:

That’s actually blown my mind. No trickery or stretching the image – they actually have the same face (as well as the same delivery). Albeit with different accents and haircuts. Aha!

ElShalimo

@CountZero – there’s no need to wear a buff or shemagh from the warmth of a TV studio. It’s an affectation in order to portray an intrepid image in those circumstances. Maybe the image is one of covering your goitre, or the neck warts?

Who knows? Who cares? Oliver is a strange chap sadly given the oxygen of publicity. He deserves to be ridiculed

dyna-ti

Considering that Buffs pretty much started out being worn by mountain bikers

Its a military item. I got one in the army navy store decades ago and used it camping, and on the bike as an open topped bunnet and neckie for winter. This would have been in the mid 90’s. It was the same material those Norwegian cold weather shirts were made of.

Checked the origin and this is from the Buff site

” Around 1991, Joan was already a passionate motorcyclist, in love with the feeling of freedom he had when riding his motorbike around the roads of Igualada. It was then when he realized his army neck warmer was not enough to keep the cold away while being comfortable to wear.”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This would have been in the mid 90’s. It was the same material those Norwegian cold weather shirts were made of.

Pedant point, in that era the army issue neck tubes were woollen, the Norwegian shirts where a cotton looped on the inner face

outofbreath
    Free Member

Can’t remember the last time I saw him on TV but his Love Letter to the British Isles
    Podcast is quite a good bit of popular history:

https://www.podcastrepublic.net/podcast/1513737418

Not the most detailed History Podcast but he has a good turn of phrase at times.

gardentiger
    Free Member

Not the most detailed

has a good turn of phrase

No wonder he’s all antivax and brexity. Sounds like he’s got the skill set for a job in this ‘government’.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Pedant point, in that era the army issue neck tubes were woollen, the Norwegian shirts where a cotton looped on the inner face

Now we’ve got a Bufftorian on! 😂

kayak23

an Bufftorian 😉

martinhutch

From a history buff to buff history in one page. Gotta love STW.

gardentiger
    Free Member

From a history buff to buff history in one page. Gotta love STW.

Next week…..

History in the Buff with Prof Alice Roberts.

outofbreath
    Free Member

From a history buff to buff history in one page.

Nice work. 😁

History in the Buff with Prof Alice Roberts

🤓

MoreCashThanDash

Next week…..

History in the Buff with Prof Alice Roberts.

I want to reply but I’m not sure I should in the MeToo era.

p7eaven
    Free Member

No wonder he’s all antivax and brexity. Sounds like he’s got the skill set for a job in this ‘government’.

Culture war grifting politics will be his final form. His ultimate manifestation. Not long now. Expect his armies to resemble Braveheart. They really do believe that they are fighting the NHS and The National Trust with a Trumptastic Insurrection of FREEDOM! vs Hordes Of Masked Commies. Oliver’s fans are among the most devoted that I’ve ever witnessed, so don’t write him off too readily. His disciples want a final boss battle any time now, so I don’t think they’ll settle for a few marches and a new Neil book deal. It’ll need to be ‘Kippers for breakfast, dinner and supper or there will be tears.

framester
    Free Member

Oliver is spot on. Freedom must be protected at all costs. Once you give it up temporarily for ‘safety’, the government doesn’t want to give it back. This always happens. Every bit of temporary legislation hastily rushed through in response to a crisis turns into permanent statute. And then it gets misused again and again. Never believe their propaganda.

matt_outandabout

Oh look, another new member straight into a contentious thread.

ElShalimo

I’ll bet @framester is at home right now, in the buff except his Neil Oliver tribute buff, surrounded by his collection of sticky Neil Oliver portaits by his feet. The futility of his life has just dawned on him.

Now wash your hands.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

I like Alice Roberts…

Did i type that out loud?

framester
    Free Member

How incredibly bizarre.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think it’s a tax dodge like Lorraine Kelly, he’ll argue that he’s playing a character “Neil Oliver” rather than being himself as can be demonstrated by histrionic rants on GB News, and that half the audience are people watching just to get upset and then go on about it on social media………

MoreCashThanDash

Oh look, another new member straight into a contentious thread.

Not unless the trolls are waiting a year from signing up before starting. Which would look like a conspiracy, obviously. Makes you think.

I agree with the principle of his wider point. However, at this time, none of my freedoms have been restricted in any meaningful way by the need for safety, and the government was in a rush to give us them back on Freedom Day prompting a spike in infections. I can go where I want and do what I want.

I’m not seeing Oliver or any of the others kicking off about the Police and Crime Bill, none of which is pandemic related, the impact of which is potentially devastating for democracy.

Which makes Oliver and his supporters utter hypocrites.

piemonster

Oliver is spot on.

He isnt, he is conflating selfish entitlement with “freedom” and dumping a metric ton on hyperbole into his position in an attempt to achieve and justify relevance.

There are valid concerns to be voiced about this government,  but that’s not being done by him from any of the content I’ve seen him put out, either through G B News or his own social media. He just appears to be trying to mug off Daily Express/Mail readers by and large.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Had the pleasure of sitting a couple of seats away from NO on a Sunday flight back to Edinburgh from Heathrow in August. He uses his buff as a face mask, but only in the most cowardly way : he’s quickly pulls it up over his mouth for a minute any time air crew walked past him, but then would immediately pull it back down again once they were out of eyeshot.

maccruiskeen

and that half the audience are people watching just to get upset and then go on about it on social media………

How do you cut nothing in half? 🙂

martinhutch

Had the pleasure of sitting a couple of seats away from NO on a Sunday flight back to Edinburgh from Heathrow in August.

What a crusader against tyranny he is.

hatter

I’m not seeing Oliver or any of the others kicking off about the Police and Crime Bill, none of which is pandemic related, the impact of which is potentially devastating for democracy.

This!

Any of the ‘ancient British freedoms” crowd who are ready to take to the barricades over the mild incovenience of mask wearing but aren’t bothered about Patel’s poisonous little bill , or the assault on Judicial Review or any of the other ways this government is trying to hamstring any opposition to them can be safely ignored.

MoreCashThanDash

Any of the ‘ancient British freedoms” crowd who are ready to take to the barricades over the mild incovenience of mask wearing but aren’t bothered about Patel’s poisonous little bill , or the assault on Judicial Review or any of the other ways this government is trying to hamstring any opposition to them can be safely ignored.

On the contrary, they can’t be ignored.

They need to be called out and challenged, so they and their sycophants either focus their righteous anger on the real threat to our freedoms, or expose them as the charlatans that they are if they don’t.

Edit – the irony being while they protest about facemasks the government is removing their right to protest about facemasks

big_n_daft
    Free Member

but that’s not being done by him from any of the content I’ve seen him put out, either through G B News

You watch GBNews? Really? Why?

IdleJon

I like Alice Roberts…

You did, but I don’t think you typed out what you were really thinking? 😀

piemonster

@big_n_daft

I would not call myself a regular but I take a look in every now and then. Same goes for a lot of media punting out views I dont agree with. Certainly after seeing this thread I made an effort to see what NO was saying through channels where the context was controlled by NO or someone sympathetic to those views.

jamj1974

MCTD, Piemonster & Hatter +1

CountZero

I like Alice Roberts…

You did, but I don’t think you typed out what you were really thinking?

Or what I was thinking. It’s Professor Alice Roberts, to be properly correct – always had a thing for brainy birds!

It’s her intellect I’m interested in…

dyna-ti

You watch GBNews? Really? Why?

Know thine enemy.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Is Neil Oliver finished?’ is closed to new replies.