• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ajaj.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Is my solar panel dead?
  • ajaj
    Free Member

The 130W solar panel on our van roof is putting out 5v at 1pm in the shade on a sunny February day, and 12v in as much sun as makes it over the horizon at this time of year. Judging by the state of the batteries it hasn’t been charging them at all this winter.

Is it dead or am I expecting too much from solar in the English winter?

Follow up question! Any recommendations for semi-flexible panel suppliers please? The last one came from Photonics Universe but their prices have gone up a lot.

sharkbait
    Free Member

5v at 1pm in the shade on a sunny February day

If it’s in the shade then it doesn’t matter how sunny it is, it won’t perform.
    I assume it’s lying flat on the roof, so at a bad angle to the sun.
    You need to test it by moving it into the sun and ideally tilting it more towards the sun and see what it produces then.

PV does badly in a UK winter due to low sun and no sun.
    My 4kwh system can struggle to produce 1kwh on some days in Dec/Jan.

So your 150w system in the shade pointing straight up is not going to do much at all.

Edit: semi-flexible panels produce as fair bit less than their advertised rating due to ineffiencies.

tillydog
    Free Member

Are those voltages measured with it connected to the batteries, or is that the voltage with it disconnected?

If the latter, then the panel’s dead.

If the former, it might be knackered batteries pulling the panel voltage down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajaj
    Free Member

With it connected to the charge controller, but it (the charge controller) says no current being pulled. Battery voltage is higher than the panel. I suppose the MPPT thing may be confusing so I’ll try with it disconnected.

I’ve never seen it produce absolutely nothing before unless after dark, we used to get at least a watt in overcast conditions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Is my solar panel dead?’ is closed to new replies.