Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is my phone dead?
  • warton
    Free Member

2 week old Google Nexus 5. my son drops it down the toilet.

I got it out double quick, maybe in for 4 or 5 seconds. turned it off (screen was flickering), dried it, sim out and in a bowl of rice…

what are my chances of it being OK? I hope it is, lovely phone 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

Dropped my nexus 4 in toilet. Didnt bother with rice and it was ok, had to replace the mic. but that was 12 quid from ebay.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just give it a good week in a warm place.

If it doesn’t work fire it my way and I can take a look and clean it up.

CountZero

Hey wysiwyg, how much do you charge for a replacement Home button on an iPhone 4? Mine is ok-ish, but is a bit flakey from time to time, and I know it ain’t going to get betterer! 😀

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Why not do it yourself?

iFixIt

apj
    Free Member

countZero, if wysiwyg can’t help, Paulo at http://www.zippinpippin.co.uk is very good, looking at his site a home button is £35, plus postage presumably. I thought that seemed a bit steep, then I looked at the iris it 38 step guide!

Kuco

Recommend wysiwyg, sorted my iphone out quickly.

warton
    Free Member

cheers wysiwyg, I’ll be in touch if its fubared

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Home button £15 returned rec or £17 spec

warton
    Free Member

quick bump…

set it off to wysiwyg after it wouldn’t switch on. He got it started, but theres water between the lcd layers, so the screen doesn’t look right.

but, if your phone is knackered, drop him a line, he knows his stuff 🙂

CountZero

Sorry wysiwyg, I’d forgotten all about this! 😳
    That’s a bloody good price, I’ll take you up on that in the near future. I’ll drop you a line when I decide to go ahead.

woodlikesbeer – Member
    Why not do it yourself?

iFixIt

Yeah, how could something possibly go wrong…? Not even going to think about it.
    Just had a thought, I know it’s come up before, but humour me, how much to replace the battery as well?
    It’s not too bad, but the phone’s around three and a half years old, and if the back’s coming off, it makes sense to kill two birds, etc.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whatever a battery costs me these days, a fiver.

Yeah i know what people say about cheap batteries, but as theres no such thing as a genuine battery, you’re as likely to get a good £5 one as a duff £20.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Hijack…
    wysiwyg I’ve got an iPhone 5 that isn’t charging properly and turns itself off at regular intervals regardless of battery level. It’s driving me mad.

Common problem? Fixable? I can replace under insurance for £50 but might just fix it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I bought a 64gb the other day that wouldn’t charge, cost me not a lot, there was fluff in the charging jack, that’s most common problem. Have a look in there/poke with something (whilst turned off) and report back

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ve tried cleaning that out several times and spraying contact cleaner in there and stuff like that.
    Doesn’t seem to have any effect.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My guess without seeing it is a battery fault.

How old is it?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

18 months. Apple checked the battery back in November and gave it a thumbs up mind.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

18 months, return it to whence it came… Flex those rights.

Jamie
    Free Member

Out of interest, how amenable are Apple to the EU rules? I know itz da law to have 2 years cover, but are they still being bitches awkward about it?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Just found this: http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

Thanks! Didn’t know I was covered.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Jamie did you get it directly from them ?

CountZero

Cheers wysiwyg, that’s great. I’ll get in touch soonish, and arrange a good time to send it up. Although I’ve got a 5, I really like the 4 and use it all the time with Shazam and as an iPod, so I want to keep it going. Thanks for the info. 😀

Muke
    Free Member

Big thanks to wysiwyg for getting an unresponsive Ipod touch back in action. 😀

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers muke

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is my phone dead?’ is closed to new replies.