Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Is my hose too short?
  • hairyscary

Do you think that the front brake hose on this bike is too short?

I do, the German retailer I purchased it from doesn’t seem to think so.

kayak23

It’ll mess with your bar spins for certain. Otherwise, borderline, to a touch short I’d say.

On a side note, your floorboards are starting to go through the finish around the high-traffic area of the front of the sofa. I’d get onto that soon if you can.

bruneep

that would annoy me, is the length as advertised?

sandwicheater

Can you spin the bar?

sarawak
    Free Member

Yes.

hairyscary

I’ve swapped the stem spacers over to move the bars down a bit and that allows the bars to spin about 120 degrees to the right, the bars are then stopped moving by the hose hitting the top tube.

First big crash and it will rip out of the lever in my opinion.

kayak23

Then I’d insist it’s changed.

hairyscary

Thanks.

To be honest, I know it’s too short, I just wanted to know if other people would accept it.

I have emailed asking for a replacement hose so I can sort it…..they reckon it’s fine.

Time to be a bit more assertive I reckon.

hairyscary

I’ll have a wee gander at their site and see if it give a hose length……I don’t remember seeing anything mentioned.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s plenty spare on the rear hose.

hairyscary

There’s plenty spare on the rear hose.

I’ve already sorted that, along with several loose bolts and the low speed derailleur stop that was wound fully out 😀

martinhutch

Do many folk route the hose inside the fork leg like that? Or is that another desperate length-saving idea? Would’ve thought it would rub horribly.

With that in mind, definitely too short imo, yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Was it a complete bike or you just bought the brake?

fathomer

martinhutch

Do many folk route the hose inside the fork leg like that?

I thought that was how it was supposed to be and how all my bikes are.

And @hairyscary I’d say that the hose was to short.

hairyscary

Hose is always routed inside. I put a bit of 3m tape to stop the rub.

hairyscary

Was it a complete bike or you just bought the brake?

Complete bike.

regenesis
    Free Member

Have you asked the iWife?

carlos
    Free Member

OP- Was it originally Euro spec and you have swapped the levers over?? Would make sense why the rear loops like that

If not then defo too short

hairyscary

Have you asked the iWife?

Aren’t they more interested in girth rather than length 😀

hairyscary

OP- Was it originally Euro spec and you have swapped the levers over?? Would make sense why the rear loops like that

This is how I received the bike.

I do think that that is why the hose is too short though, I think that they have done the swap and left the hose too short.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’m with Carlos on this. I reckon it’s a euro conversion

rene59
    Free Member

Do many folk route the hose inside the fork leg like that? Or is that another desperate length-saving idea?

Who doesn’t (except you)? Best place for it to keep it from damage.

hairyscary

Cheers all.

I’ve emailed them again insisting on a replacement hose and pointing them towards their advertised picture of the bike that shows the bike with a much longer front hose.

Matt

carlos
    Free Member

This is how I received the bike

Ah, maybe they did the swapping.

On the advertised picture, is the front brake on the left or right side of the bars.

hairyscary

Ah, maybe they did the swapping.

On the advertised picture, is the front brake on the left or right side of the bars.

Its a side view, but it looks like it’s ‘front brake is left hand’

They should still e leaving me enough hose if they do a swap…….surely they must have to do this often. I would imagine they leave the hoses long until they know the bikes destination.

I really think mine has been a bit of a ‘Friday afternoon British Leyland’ build.

alexpalacefan

Too short.

APF

Tracey

Looks like Euro fitting to me. I would be wanting a new hose.

martinhutch

Who doesn’t (except you)? Best place for it to keep it from damage.

Every day’s a school day!

dirkpitt74

Yeah too short, and as other have said look like they just swapped it over from Euro style.
    I’d be asking for a new hose and fittings.

hairyscary

Well, the German bike shop still believe there isn’t a problem as it is still possible to steer the bike 😲

The bike is a Radon Swoop bought from Bike-discount.de

Looks like I won’t be using them again and will be slagging off their customer service at every opportunity*

*the delivery process was also a bit of a nightmare, not helped by the customer service’s apparent lack of interest.

SirHC

I’d ask for maguras opinion, then if its favourable, fire that at bike discount, see what they say.

rocketman
    Free Member

Do you think that the front brake hose on this bike is too short?

Way too short. Like when you put an XT brake from a 100 mm XC bike onto a 140 mm FS with 760 mm bars *cough*

Do many folk route the hose inside the fork leg like that?

All my bikes have the hose inside the fork leg except one which has a 2019 Sektor with a built-in guide that very definitely encourages the hose to go outside

hairyscary

I ended up buying the hose myself over the weekend and left a poor review on Bikediscount.de’s website Monday morning.

The poor review didn’t even appear on their site and within 20 minutes I had received an email from them asking if I would take the bike to a local bike shop to get the hose sorted and they would give me €30 as a goodwill gesture. I think any goodwill went when they tried to wheedle out of sending me a hose.

I told them I would not be cancelling the order for the parts that I had ordered elsewhere and that I would not be using them again.

They then asked for a copy of the invoice and they would provide me with a voucher.

I told them to sod off as this was all too little too late.

They have now sent me a voucher code for €30

I have told them to cancel it.

Why does it take a bad review to get an issue resolved? If they had sorted the issue straight away I would be recommending them, as it is I will never use them again and will recommend that others don’t.

orangespyderman

It’s your choice, but it may be just as simple as you got one guy dealing with your case who was rubbish.  When the review came in it possibly went to someone who cares about the brand (and therefore the clients) and who then decided to pull rank on whoever it was who was faffing you around.

They can no longer fix what happened previously, but they do seem to be making a better job of looking after you now.

It remains your call as to whether it is too late or not, but they’re doing the right thing now (albeit after lots of faffing you around).  I’d be really hacked off too in your situation and quite possibly have lost it with them already too 🙂 , but from the outside I do feel that they deserve some credit for trying to sort out the mess they made (themselves..)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Is my hose too short?’ is closed to new replies.