Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is My Fork Hideously Bad?
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Or is it me? I have a Rock Shox Tora 100mm fork, shiny silver stanchions, lock out and rebound adjust. It’s something of a bucking bronco or I’m utterly out of control on rocky descents.
    They’re putting me off riding with them to be honest.
    Should anything be manageable and I need to skill the hell up or are these forks comedy token gestures, generally speaking?

z1ppy

RS Tora’s are normally thought of as one of the more basic models that actually spending money buying, so think yourself lucky you aren’t running Darts. BUT it can depend on what model/damping you have, I’ve no personally experience of the TK (turnkey) damped models but they aren’t supposed to be the best (compared to the Motion control versions). It maybe possible to upgrade them, or they should sell pretty well and get yourself some Reba’s/Recon’s or Rev’s…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Toras are a solid, decent fork, but basic. They should work pretty well, and be reasonably supple, but you’ve got to spend ££££££ if you want better.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Should be able to get them to be fine. try increasing the damping to max and if thats not enough service them and use thicker oil

smell_it
    Free Member

I’ve just built myself up an second hand soul frame on a budget, and was given a set of year old tora’s from a mate for free. Took them out for few hours in the peak on sunday, and was rather surprised by how sound they were for a budget fork. I imagine I’ll be upgrading them at some point near summer, but i’m in no rush to be honest.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 TJ the damping may be basic but it sounds like you have none, try turning the adjusters up (to tortoise not hare). Mate misinterpreted the settings, thought hare meant for higher speed riding, and rode with pogo stick action til we spotted it.

cyclepathologist
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Consequently I’m rubbish, the fork not so rubbish.
    I could be your mate! That’s exactly what I’ve done.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

easily sorted then 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is My Fork Hideously Bad?’ is closed to new replies.