Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is my BMX under-geared?
  • MrAgreeable

I've been starting to ride BMX a bit more this winter, due to the godawful weather and moving near to two decent little tracks. Thing is, I can't get over how odd it feels to pedal and I think I might have got something dreadfully wrong when I rebuilt it last year. It's 39T at the front, and 14T at the back. Is that going to give me a decent ratio, or do I need to swap things around?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Fit a front basket complete with extraterrestrial.

HTH.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Sounds about right – it's what I was running on my S&M. Some stock bikes run 36/14 too.

MrAgreeable

Cheers Mama. 🙂

Do some work ADH. 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

meh, its boring.

Big-M
    Free Member

20 inch or Cruiser? Are you doing gate practice? Can you get a decent snap?
    I always ran a high'ish gear you give it away on the gate but make it up on the first straight. What length are the cranks? What bike are you on.

Lot's of questions I'm sorry! 😆

MrAgreeable

20 inch. What's a gate? What's a snap? (I do actually know the answer to those questions, I'm just some way off entering a race yet). Cranks are 175mm I think, frame is a Spesh Fuze I bought off a mate for fifty quid. 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

It'll spin up ok but if you're riding alot of distance you might want a higher speed ratio.

See how it goes?

Big-M
    Free Member

I think you might need to experiment a bit, the frame may be a bit short and feel strange, race type frames tend to be longer in the top tube.

Generally 20 inch bikes feel less stable than what your used to especially if you spinning a small gear

MrAgreeable

It does feel a bit like it's constantly trying to smack me in the back of the head, but I'm getting more confident on it and I've started getting nano-air over some of the jumps. I'm just going very slowly at the moment, it's hard to spin it up to any speed at a BMX track as you only get time for a couple of pedal turns before you're into the lumpy stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is my BMX under-geared?’ is closed to new replies.