Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is my alloy borked ??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just giving the Mazda a big clean up and have been tackling the arches and whels today.

I came across this …..

We have got some horrendous pot holes round here but i dont recall ever hitting one this hard to do that?

Do you think it is knackered or not?

There is a big dent and a slight hairline chip in it?

renton
    Free Member

Not having much look with this car !!

wwaswas

have been tackling the arches and whels today

😯

*struggles to believe anyone not entering a concours would take the wheels off their car to clean them*

bristolbiker
    Free Member

There are companies that can straighten alloys – had a few done, but that looks quite bad. Worth an ask, though they may just confirm it’s bin fodder.

khani
    Free Member

You could probably get it repaired, alloy wheel refurbs are pretty good nowadays.

renton
    Free Member

I have no spare to put on whilst it was away getting repaired?

Just realised I only have a can of seal;ant and an inflator! :mrgreen:

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh – if more people looked after their wheels like that …. then i wouldnt end up with cars that have corroded and knackered alloys 😉 but then its immaterial anyway due to the fact most folk cant drive and kerb the hell out of their alloys.

i much prefer steelies anyway.

nealglover
    Free Member

*struggles to believe anyone not entering a concours would take the wheels off their car to clean them*

I take the wheels off cars every day to clean them.

If a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing properly.

nealglover
    Free Member

Get a spare off eBay and send the wheel to these guys. They will sort it out.

http://www.alloywheelrepairs.net/

wwaswas

If a jobs worth doing, it’s worth doing properly.

I’m firmly in the ‘it’s not worth doing’ camp 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m firmly in the ‘it’s not worth doing’ camp

Most of my clients are are similar, but slightly different.

They are

“It’s worth doing, but I don’t want to do it”

FB-ATB

What does the face of the wheel (and the other 3) look like? Mazda wheels are notorious for their corrosion. I had all 4 of my 57 plate 3 replaced- two were bad and the others starting to show signs of paint lifting. I took the car to the dealer, they took pictures to email off to the warranty dept and heard back in 10 moins they would be replaced. I was advised to contact them from a colleague that had the same issue on a newer 3 and he was told by his dealer that their wheels are pretty poor. Mine were just under 3 years old.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had this happen on my car. I’d either
    – put it on the back and leave it
    – buy a single replacement (perhaps from a Breakers on ebay or something)
    – wait until tyres are worn and buy a set of tyres+wheels.

In my case the dent was bad enough that the tyre went flat if it was parked with the dent facing downwards.

I looked into repair but it didn’t seem worth the cost compared to getting some wheels (managed to get 4 tyres + alloys for 350 quid from someone local who’d sold their car after upgraidng the wheels).

renton
    Free Member

New wheel is £276 from mazda !!

blackburied
    Free Member

That’s repairable in my eyes. I had all four “Repaired and Refurbed” and they were in a worse state than that!

Ian Jemison’s just outside York is where I went.

somafunk

That looks entirely repairable going by the picture at least, if you organise it with the repair shop before hand you should get it back the same day.

And i take my good (summer use) alloys off the car to wash and wax them a couple of times over the summer, OZ Racing Superturismos that are a few years old and done many track days but still in excellent nick with no kerbing or marks. I can’t afford to replace them so i keep them in good nick, same as everything else i own.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ian Jemison’s just outside York is where I went.

Ian does great stuff with wheels !
    He’s done lots of work for my customers on my recommendation and they have always been very happy with his work.

Too bloke too.

renton
    Free Member

just a thought on this… I think I can pin down where this happend.

The pot hole in question has since been filled in though so do I have any comeback with the council responsible for the road?

globalti
    Free Member

You’ll get around £12 for the wheel from your local scrappie, so have a look on Eblag for a replacement.

My brother who lives in Michigan has insurance for his wheels, so bad are American roads.

br
    Free Member

New wheel is £276 from mazda !!

If you are keeping the car, buy another one.

If selling it, put it back on…

I had this with an Omega wheel, it slowly split and then was losing pressure (which is how I found it), so bought another.

kristoff
    Free Member

Yea easily repaired. I’ve seen some hideous looking damage get repaired.

CountZero

I’ve got two damaged alloys from my Octavia like that, from hitting pot holes. I got a set of four from a bloke in N.London for £80, through Briskoda, and I’m considering getting the two damaged ones fixed and a set of winter tyres fitted.

the-muffin-man

How can someone who takes so much care over their car fit Autogrip tyres!?

renton
    Free Member

muffin man.

Mazda dealer put them on when I first bought the car!! not my choice and I did kick off when I collected but they basically said tough !

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is my alloy borked ??’ is closed to new replies.