• This topic has 41 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Twin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Is llandegla the best??
  • astura
    Free Member

I love trail centres,, my fave out of the ones I have been to so fr has to be llandegla. I’m looking for somewhere new to venture too. I ride hardtail so my ratings are based on the trails that don’t rattle me to pieces

So far my ratings are:

Llandegla 9
    Climach X 9
    Monkey trail 8
    Gisburn forest 7
    Mbr 7
    Glentress 7
    Mabie forest 7

Are there any other trail centres which are worth a visit not covered in the list?

h4muf
    Free Member

Kirrotree.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Inners kirrochtree dalbettie whinlatter dalby coed y Benin afan brechfa for a start. You may want to increase your best of scale though…

composite
    Free Member

Cwmcarn

adrec
    Free Member

Grizedale is worth a visit. Well doable on a hardtail, you can easily do a couple of laps in a day and its got a nice little cafe and bike shop. The Marin is still fun now and again

dirtydog
    Free Member

Penmachno

zokes
    Free Member

Is llandegla the best??

No, but then it never was, unless you like oversized BMX tracks…

_tom_
    Free Member

Forest of Dean is my favourite I think. Still yet to try Cwmcarn. Really want to try Hopton.

No, but then it never was, unless you like oversized BMX tracks…

Which is funny because all the jumps are smaller than those on most bmx tracks.

tarquin
    Free Member

I liked Llandegla the best, because my skills weren’t the best and I ride a short travel hardtail.

Cannock was almost as good, but felt like a lot of pedalling for some OK downhill bits, really bumpy in some spots.

Didn’t really like Gisburn that much, had some good features and some bits not so good, was pretty wet when I went, the bottom loop in the trees was good, but the rocky top section not so hot.

Mugboo

Last time I went Lee & Crag Quarry I took my HT instead of my Mega and it was way more fun.

loum
    Free Member

If you like llandegla, then try Cwm Rhaeadr next time you’re further south.
    It’s small, so probably worth including on a trip to another centre, but don’t miss it – it’s brilliant.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Only ever done llandegla – ride local natural usually. I think it’s great for a change of scenery.

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

Have you tried Whinlatter?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The Monkey is my local-ish hack and my riding mates went to Hamsterly last year. Unfortunately I couldn’t make it, but they raved about it.

fathomer

I ride a shortish (120mm) hardtail and prefer rocky stuff, be it trail centre or natural, which isn’t to say I don’t like Llandegla. Each to their own I guess!

pitcherpro
    Free Member

Code y brenin ??? Probably my favourite especially if you mix it up a bit 😉

johnellison
    Free Member

Is llandegla the best??

Not by a long shot.

Kirroughtree, Mabie and Dalbeattie all beat it into a cocked hat.

And the natural beats them all…

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Kirroughtree is THE best trail centre in the UK IMHO.

jekkyl

You’re lucky to have has the opportunity to get round all them trail centres.

eightyeight
    Free Member

I like Gisburn – some nice new bits added recently. And you’ve got the amazing chilli at the Dog and Partridge 😀

Lee Quarry – Always find this a bit of slog, but a good local facility

Grizedale – Agree with Adrec. Also the new(ish) black section is a good one to session for jumping

Llandegla – Only been once, but loved it!

To be honest if I managed to get anywhere for a day’s riding I’m happy. Went to Philips Park on Saturday and loved that, so maybe I’m just easily pleased…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Coed y Brenin is definitely my favorite, although I havn’t been to that many trail centers. Planning on a weekend in Scotland staying at Inners so my favorite might change.

franki
    Free Member

Llandegla’s a good laugh, but it’s not my thing.
    CYB is still my favourite out of the centres I’ve visited.

grum
    Free Member

Llandegla is great IMO, never understood the hate for it on here. As for the best I dunno – Glentress must be up there for most fun you can have with a group of mates of differing abilities/experience.

bokonon
    Free Member

I had a laugh at Llangdegla, did the red and blue, but I found the format a bit bland – wind all the way up to the top (ish) on a fire road (not so great) then blast back through the forest (lots of fun) I found the very top section of the red run the most fun bit around the head of the valley. I’d certainly go again, but I think I’d prefer it to be mixed up a bit, rather than one long slog, then a blast down the hill.

That said, I’d probably go somewhere else in future unless I was taking my wife, I think she would enjoy the blue there – I have trail centres which I can ride in crap weather closer, with some good fun natural stuff if the weather holds out and some more adventurous natural stuff a similar distance away.

extremo
    Free Member

Coed-y-Brenin is my favourite. i like the rocky stuff there.
    Llandegla is good
    a lot of my freinds are raving about Antur Stiniog which i have yet to try, but hope to

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A long way from where you’re based I suspect, but Laggan is wonderful. Not the biggest, but the black trail is a work of art and the lower red is great.

ThePinkster

Is llandegla the best??

Depends on what your worst is?

Cannock was almost as good, but felt like a lot of pedalling for some OK downhill bits, really bumpy in some spots.

It’s called mountain biking. If you want it flat buy a road bike? 😉

jswan
    Free Member

Brenin is my favourite also.

Wozza
    Free Member

Of the few I’ve tried I think it’s Grizedale. Simply because of the ability to link it into the other stuff surrounding it.

But, if you’re talking just as a trail centre only I think it’s Coed-y-Brenin.

grum
    Free Member

Oh yeah Laggam is probably my favourite actually. Wish they’d build more trails there buy what’s there is ace.

I agree on Grizedale if we’re adding in BWs but that’s cheating!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Which is funny because all the jumps are smaller than those on most bmx tracks.

+1, it always confuses me that statement.

geologist
    Free Member

I think llandegla is better than Mabie, eastridge is superb for a short blast

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Llandegla is ok the downs are a laugh and the new section helps it but the rest is just missing something. There is nothing that hard there just options for some speed. It doesn’t push you like some of the others or have much variety. I used to go if I was passing on a Friday heading to Wales or on the way home in bad weather

tomhoward

I enjoyed Llandegla, but did it on a 100m hardtail (jump bike, about 4 sizes too small), not sure if it’d be as fun on my 160mm fs.

Gisburn is a giggle too, miserable weathwer every time I’ve been though! not been since the new stuff has opended though.

Like Hamsterley. Only been once but can’t wait to go again.

Really like Stainburn too which is good as its local, just needs more of it….

Oh and Whistler and the Alps are OKish as well, not limiting to the UK. 😉

Seems I’ve not really experienced bad TC’s but then I havent ridden Dalby.

jwr

Golspie is probably my favourite with Laggan a close second.

bigjim

I thought llandegla was pretty awful, though this was a few years back so might have changed since then. Mountain biking by numbers.

tomhoward

Mountain biking by numbers

Or, mountain biking without most of the cack bits.

philfive
    Free Member

Out of all the trail centers i’ve been too I would say Kirroughtree. Lee quarry is good but its not a trail center, its more of a bike park.

Nowadays i spend my time in the lakes, never fails to provide a good days riding.

tmb467
    Free Member

no votes for Penmachno?

not ridden there yet but been told its one of the best

julians
    Free Member

all these are just my opinion:-

llandegla – great place, something for everyone
    Coed ybrenin – Good
    dalby – terrible
    monkey trail – too pedally
    gisburn – similar to dalby
    lee quarry/crag quarry – ok for a play about but thats about it.
    glentress – excellent
    innerleithen – excellent
    penmachno – a bit too pedally , but not as bad as the monkey
    grizedale – ok
    whinlatter – ok
    marin trail – ok
    climachx – good
    the rest of the 7 stanes – pretty good

They’re all worth a visit though if you’ve never been , just so you can form your own opinion.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Is llandegla the best??’ is closed to new replies.