Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Is jam going out of fashion?
  • rOcKeTdOg

I love jam pie

theotherjonv

Sometimes on porridge.

forgotten that, thanks!

There seems to be fashion (it’s not a new thing, just back in fashion) for olive oil and grated tomato

Apart from the fact I hate tomatoes, how do you grate a tomato? I suspect you may grate one or two passes of tomato skin and then crush the rest in your fist?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Bloody heathens you’ll be telling me no-one likes Marmalade next…

We make loads of jam each year, blackberry, elderberry, crab apple jelly. And no I’m not in my 70’s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DezB
    Free Member

Also, if you see mould on it, bin it, as the mould grows through the Jan, not just on top.

My old man woulda just laughed at you. He’s dead now though.. coincidence?

IHN

We all have a secret crush

on

Perchy.

akira

Jam on plain yoghurt as well, smallest lump has a bagel with jam and butter for lunch fairly often. Also needed when making trifle.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Honestly can’t imagine a world without marmalade. How anyone eats toast without it I don’t know.

IHN

newrobdob earlier:

jekkyl

where’s jam bo?

& lol @ dez.

He’s dead now though.. coincidence?

km79
    Free Member

grated tomato

❓ why would someone grate a tomato? It would just be mush.

everyone
    Free Member

expresso

Hang your head in shame.

slowoldman

Strawberry jam on sourdough toast this morning.

There’ll be a trip to Greggs shortly though for bacon.

johndoh
    Free Member

expresso
    Hang your head in shame.

I think you will find that expresso is now the correct STW spelling 😉

tomd
    Free Member

Apart from the fact I hate tomatoes, how do you grate a tomato? I suspect you may grate one or two passes of tomato skin and then crush the rest in your fist?

It’s best to use fleshy tomatoes like the “beef” ones. I was sceptical at first but it does work. In any case, the Spaniards are grating tomatoes all over their toast with abandon so must be possible.

johndoh
    Free Member
    bruneep

perchypanther – Member
    Not in our house.

“Carluke Steak” is the most commonly requested breakfast of the youngest panthercub.

Carluke steak? Explain more. Given my son has just bought house there i see a piss taking opportunity.

eddie11
    Free Member

Apparently chlorinated American eggs need to go in the fridge. Or something. Ours don’t. The moisture breaks down the natural seal on the shell and lets the germies in.

And Jam is jam. It’s never gone away?? But if I am horribly out of touch and if it has, I await the hipster craft jam revival coming out of a shoreditch mk1 transit van in the coming weeks.

theotherjonv

I sense a pop up opportunity.

6 types of bread, 8 types of jam and conserve, all artisan of course. Apart from obviously sliced white and tesco value strawberry as a hipster nod to the staple of sunday tea in the 70’s of the 3 day week.

£4.50 a round, they’ll be queuing down Hackney High Street to get in.

(Cue someone turning up with a link to where it’s already been done)

chakaping
    Free Member

Still have it as an occasional brekkie, bit less than I used to but only ‘cos I work from home now so have more time to make proper food.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Carluke steak? Explain more

A humorous name for a Jam sandwich. A play on the fact that Jam is manufactured in Scotts Jam factory in Carluke and was the poor man’s sandwich filling.
    Nobody wanted to admit to having the povvy lunch so made a joke out of it to avoid embarrassment.

Miners / Steelworkers / other assorted workies often like to compare sandwich fillings on a lunch break.

“Whit’s oan yer piece the day, Wullie?”

“It’ll be Carluke Steak again. We’re pratted. I tanned my wages doon the bookies at the weekend”

doggycam
    Free Member

Someone needs to have doggycam sectioned.

C’mon, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. Classic sweet and savoury combo.

Try marmalade and sausage,,,,, yum ! 🙂

Think camambert with cranberry, or turkey

perchypanther
    Free Member

I sense a pop up opportunity.

….in a church.

Will be called …..”Saints preserve us”

Rubber_Buccaneer

To selectively quote the OP

I’d posit jam is only for posh people

I always knew I was posh

fasthaggis

We always have a few jars of Marmalade,jams and Lemon Curd knocking about.There’s a lot of baking done in our house so they get used up.
    We made 12 jars of jam this summer (4 Raspberry..8 Strawberry).
    Home made jam FTW.. 😀

Oh,and

Strawberry jam and cheese peanut butter is where it’s at.

bruneep

Many thanks perchy. Msg sent to the impoverished new home owner

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit off topic, but am I right in thinking a rubber buccaneer is a sex toy?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Whatever you want me to be Jamie 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[/quote]
    “Whit’s oan yer piece the day, Wullie?”

“It’ll be Carluke Steak again. We’re pratted. I tanned my wages doon the bookies at the weekend”

For a second I was transported back to a Broons cartoon strip. No Christmas was complete without a Broons or Oor Wullie annual.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jings, crivvens and indeed, help m’ boab.

Still get the Wullie book / Broons from my Mum every Xmas.

Tradition dictates that you never read it till Ne’erday.

DezB
    Free Member

That stuff in doughnuts is jam, like the brown shapes you get in advent calendars is chocolate.

grum
    Free Member

theotherjonv – apparently San Francisco is saturated with hipster toast cafes.

I think the decline of jam might have something to do with people realising it’s not actually in any way healthy to start your day with a massive hit of carbohydrate, sugar and fat (toast, jam and butter)?

bodgy
    Free Member

it’not actually in any way healthy to start your day with a massive hit of carbohydrate, sugar and fats

Where’s the fun in that?

Cougar

No, it’s just…. going underground….

Oh, well played.

Why do they give you an egg holder for the door then?

Supply and demand.

Apparently chlorinated American eggs need to go in the fridge. Or something. Ours don’t. The moisture breaks down the natural seal on the shell and lets the germies in.

Pretty much. In the US it’s illegal to sell pre-washed eggs, in the UK it’s illegal to sell washed ones. The washing process breaks down the shell leading to a risk of salmonella contamination, so US eggs must be refrigerated. In the UK it’s unnecessary, putting them in the fridge means they can pick up odours and tastes from other things (I don’t think there’s a great health risk though, just you might end up with oniony eggs). We also vaccinate our chickens, the US doesn’t.

8 types of jam and conserve

What’s the difference?

That stuff in doughnuts is jam, like the brown shapes you get in advent calendars is chocolate.

It’s well known to those who know it well that the stuff in doughnuts is Merjel.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s well known to those who know it well

Mmhmm.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s well known to those who know it well that the stuff in doughnuts is Merjel.

Ijamminati?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ijamminati

I thought I recognised their sticky fingers all over this.

jonnyboi

It’s well known to those who know it well that the stuff in doughnuts is Merjel

interesting

Jamie
    Free Member

We’re fully down the rabbit hole now…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(doughnut)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Global conspiracy innit!

“Ich bin ein Berliner” – John F. Kennedy

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GaDAjHKYC4[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Is jam going out of fashion?’ is closed to new replies.