• This topic has 112 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Is Jaguar the new Audi/BMW?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

…in terms of entitled/aggressive driving?

BoardinBob

Not that I’ve noticed

Audi drivers are consistently mentalists

Rich_s

Merc drivers FTW these days. Probably all leased.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, and even Volvo’s are often now driven by ****. The only cars you can be sure of being driven slowly (but not well) are the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris

andy5390

Witnessed one or two. But I’d say the tractor engined A4 is the choice for former Impreza drivers these days

bensales
    Free Member

I’m very chilled when driving my Jaguar. More than I was in my Mercedes.

Only time I get a little more anxious is if someone figures out I’ve left my wallet at home.

hols2
    Free Member

The only cars you can be sure of being driven slowly (but not well) are the Honda Jazz and Toyota Yaris

I’ve owned both of those. I still have fantasies of my boy-racer youth so I drive like a **** (within the limits of what a shopping trolley can do, obviously).

mikertroid
    Free Member

I think Jaguars tend to be driven slowly and erratically predominately by the elderly, particularly the gopping SUVs. I think that’s why I don’t like to be anywhere near them if I can help it.

That said, SUVs in general seem to attract lobotomised drivers. I wonder if the SUV or the lobotomy comes first.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Audi drivers are consistently mentalists

Hi! *waves*

Kuco

BMW, Audi, Merc and Evoc’s SUV’s seem to driven by middle-class mums with not a **** clue of anything going on around outside of their metal cocoon.

Daffy

Kuco

Subscriber
    BMW, Audi, Merc and Evoc’s SUV’s seem to driven by middle-class mums with not a **** clue of anything going on around outside of their metal cocoon.

Sadly, this seems to be the case near me too. Though there also seems to be a growing trend near me for full fat Range Rover SVR, Jaguar FPace things.

I don’t understand the sense of entitlement. Driving a 2.5 tonne, 5l petrol car as a daily driver when there are people all over the world campaigning/protesting climate change. How? Why?

Drac

When I switched from Audi my driving instantly changed.

couchy
    Free Member

Merc drivers FTW these days. Probably all leased.

Why is this always used as some sort of insult, of course they are leased who in their right mind puts cash into a depreciating asset when for a few hundred a month you can have one, under warranty and with breakdown cover and only needing a couple of services during ownership. It’s hassle and worry free motoring and makes a lot of sense if you do lots of miles, tbh even if you don’t they are a nice place to be for a few £££ a month so why not

wrightyson
    Free Member

Audi a3 smoker here, 143k and 9 years old. It had a black box fitted 2 weeks ago, the insurance saving incentive sees it driven like miss daisy!

phil5556

@wrightyson out of interest how much does it save you? I thought it was just a new / young driver incentive?

Rich_s

Why is this always used as some sort of insult,

It’s not. I lease my skoda. It’s an indicator that the way Merc are marketing themselves is not towards their old customer base but a more showy generation who have limited capital but enough disposable to afford the rentals.

Plus they drive like ****.

bsims
    Free Member

Discovery sport this morning overtook me as I was turning left, they were also. There was plenty of room for them to do it with the required 5 ft but no they cut in front of me so I had to brake. ****. I peddled furiously to catch them so I could open their boot at the next junction but need to work on my fitness.

matt_outandabout

The utter nut-case who pulled out across the dual carriageway of the A9 at Perth last night, 9pm, p*ssing with rain, dark, and she pulls out in front of a double queue of traffic. That was proper entitlement.
    70->20mph in about four car lengths, I was already eyeing up the verge when I realised that I was stopping about a car length from her boot.
    She was in an Up!

So no, entitlement seems a growing issue among all drivers in all cars.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses, but…

.. it’s not binary, nor definitive!

wrightyson
    Free Member

@phil5556 I don’t know yet I think it’s worked out in quarterly periods. I’ve got a young driver policy because my daughter has gone on as a named driver. I questioned it via ringing several times to make sure they had me as the policy holder. To be fair the web page showing your data is really good and weve finally hit the very good bracket after 3 weeks of drinving. Makes you think about your driving every time you get in the car.

slowoldman

Seems to me a dick remains a disk irrespective of the car you put them in.

chestrockwell

Discovery sport this morning overtook me. I peddled furiously to catch them so I could open their boot at the next junction but need to work on my fitness.

You’d make yourself look a dick though as it locks when driving.

phil5556

I don’t know yet I think it’s worked out in quarterly periods. I’ve got a young driver policy because my daughter has gone on as a named driver.

Ah that makes sense as to why you have it. I presume you have a maximum price and get a discount if you behave?

I’m not planning on getting one, just curious.

nickewen
    Free Member

@Daffy. This is the bit that I don’t get – my mate has just got the fast X5.. the one with the nearly 600bhp M5 engine. It is an absolutely absurd vehicle. Think he’s getting about 10mpg round the doors.. 😳. I drive a hot hatch mind, so maybe I need to have a look at myself before judging others on the climate change front.. I just fundamentally don’t like SUVs, especially the “sporty” ones.

Oh and the comment above about Yaris’ doesn’t hold true round here. There’s one gets driven everywhere on its door handles! And the white Evoque gets my vote – like the delightful lady who tailgated me for about a mile while playing on her phone.

LAT

When I switched from Audi my driving instantly changed.

Is that because you were no longer battling understeer?

I peddled furiously to catch them so I could open their boot at the next junction

im not sure you can open the boot of modern cars while the engine is running.

IdleJon

Why is this always used as some sort of insult, of course they are leased who in their right mind puts cash into a depreciating asset when for a few hundred a month you can have one,

How many hundred per month?

Someone I know spends over £500 per month leasing the two cars in the household. I’m not sure how much I’d need to be earning before I wasted that much money on cars. (Actually I do. I just wouldn’t.)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think JLR Products tend to be driven slowly and erratically predominately by the elderly, particularly the gopping SUVs.

Indeed, FIFM

phil5556

Someone I know spends over £500 per month leasing the two cars in the household. I’m not sure how much I’d need to be earning before I wasted that much money on cars. (Actually I do. I just wouldn’t.)

People have different priorities and spend money in different ways, it’s not waste to them.

I was chatting to someone at work the other day who was surprised that I’d just spent £250 on brakes for my bike and that I fly kites that are worth up to £1k.

IdleJon

People have different priorities and spend money in different ways, it’s not waste to them.

I was chatting to someone at work the other day who was surprised that I’d just spent £250 on brakes for my bike and that I fly kites that are worth up to £1k.

Indeed. I wouldn’t for a minute tell anybody what to spend their money on.* But when you’re on your deathbed you’ll remember the money spent on your kites and bikes for more than the £1000s spent on your commuting hatchback**.😀

* This planet has – or rather had – a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy. Douglas Adams.

** I also lease a family hatchback, ☹️

LeeW

I live near Solihull, it’s prime JLR country with countless company cars on the roads. You can lease up to two through their employee scheme depending on your job.

Not many of them are driven with much consideration for other road users. In fact a friend of my partner had her husband killed by some dick doing over 80mph in a 30 in his father’s something or other.

Klunk
    Free Member

i’ve got 2 court appearances due as witness against BMW drivers…..

1) out for a walk X3 driver turning right at a junction in front of on coming traffic causing the traffic to break hard and numerous rear end shunts he drove off but i got his registration.

2) driving in heavy rain in a 40, overtaken by 7 series doing about 80 loses it due to aquaplaning on some localized flooding 360 spin ending up into the hedge backwards.

dicks in BMW is still a thing as far as I’m concerned

bsims
    Free Member

You’d make yourself look a dick though as it locks when driving.

Only if it didn’t come off in my hand 😋

im not sure you can open the boot of modern cars while the engine is running.

That is certainly true with most cars but who can say with JLR electronics!

Mister-P
    Free Member

I wish it was as simple as looking out for a particular brand but entitled dickish driving can happen in any vehicle. There’s a chap in a little Kia or something equally naff who close passes me on a regular basis. On the flip side I often see very considerate driving from Audi estates, maybe some of them are cyclists.

breadcrumb

BMW 3 series driver here. I had a Honda Accord estate prior to my current car and my driving is pretty much the same.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was a bit of a joke, based on some recent experiences,

I’m not saying every Jag driver is a dick etc (or any brand) just anecdotes that certain type of driver seems to favour a certain brand.

13thfloormonk

Maybe it’s an Edinburgh thing Al, the worst close pass I’ve experienced on the commute between Ed and Kirkliston was in a Jag, and some of the worst driving on the motorway and bypass seems to be doddering old folk in their jags doing 50mph in the fast lane…

kynasf
    Free Member

who in their right mind puts cash into a depreciating asset when for a few hundred a month you can have one, under warranty and with breakdown cover and only needing a couple of services during ownership. It’s hassle and worry free motoring and makes a lot of sense if you do lots of miles, tbh even if you don’t they are a nice place to be for a few £££ a month so why not

Well I guess that’s me. I bought my Merc 8 years ago and have been putting my company car allowance towards more interesting things ever since

woffle
    Free Member

I live near Solihull, it’s prime JLR country with countless company cars on the roads. You can lease up to two through their employee scheme depending on your job.

the chap who bought my Airnimal was driving a brand new Disco. His son actually leased it for him via the JLR scheme. He said he got a new one every 12-18 months. Mind you, going by the recent reliability survey results for JLR, I think it might be more of a curse than a blessing…

shooterman

I do quite a lot of miles (drive a VW). I have to say the most most aggressively driven cars ime tend to be hot hatchbacks, followed by men driving people carriers and then vans.

Personally, I have never understood the leasing thing.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I drive a lot, around 28k miles a year so encounter a lot of poor driving.
    In my experience any car can be driven by a total cock.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Is Jaguar the new Audi/BMW?’ is closed to new replies.