Is it wrong to fit butt/gut fenders to a Ti CX/Gravel bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Is it wrong to fit butt/gut fenders to a Ti CX/Gravel bike?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is it wrong to fit butt/gut fenders to a Ti CX/Gravel bike?
  • Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

Thinking of one of each for my Pickenflick, had them on my Hack when riding in filthy conditions, and my Inbred SS.

But what about the *purity of the Ti frame? Is it just wrong?

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

It’s only a bike. Do what you like.

bainbrge

No, this is a serious question. I bought a gravel bike with intention of retiring my winter road bike, however I can’t see mudguards on the gravel bike, so probably have to keep both. Wife not happy as was meant to be one in one out…

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Misc rule – if a bike has a rigid frame and fork it is always OK to fit full guards, as long as those guards are fitted well with sensible and even gaps. It’s better than OK in fact, it means you’re much more likely to ride in bad weather and riding in bad weather is supposedly the mark of a badass.

Junkyard

course it is mudguards are ace in cross bikes

tjagain

Its a bike, your bike. You can fit whatever you want to it. Personally I never ride a bike in wither without full guards and my MTB usually has them on all year round

shermer75

Misc rule – if a bike has a rigid frame and fork it is always OK to fit full guards, as long as those guards are fitted well with sensible and even gaps. It’s better than OK in fact, it means you’re much more likely to ride in bad weather and riding in bad weather is supposedly the mark of a badass.

This is how I feel about it. Properly fitted full guards always look better than horrible sticky-outy monstrosities- especially on a narrow tubed Ti or steel bike! πŸ™‚

Case in point:

Courtesy of CFH

This is correct.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Just googled. So they have names now. Every day’s a school day.

I say very much yes it’s ok. But I too am full guards on a road bike person. Never gone full TJ with full guards on an mtb though, just a crud raceguard clamped to the seatpost rear and one of those neoprene things on the forks and a ‘gut guard’ on the front – do they not not get clogged up and bent to peices?

Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

Ah no! I’m not talking about full mudguards, those will go permanently on the Hack which will be the commuter/winter road bike (and, which, I agree are fine)

But I don’t want them on the ‘flick, cos I want to be a muddy/gravelly/cxy badass (who doesn’t get mud splattered in his eyes, and keeps the worst of the (bad) ass.

A bit like this?

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

I have a gut fender on my CDF and it works fine

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

With that fork, there is no need to worry about the aesthetics of anything else on the bike! Your eyes I drawn like a moth to a lightbulb.

mattsccm

I use guards on my Pick. Full on SKS things because getting plastered is stupid and annoys the wife several times a week.

Case in point:

Awww…shucks! πŸ™‚

(Am sure that wasn’t there when I posted earlier!)

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

Case in point:

Nope, front is way too short, get a Raw Mudflap on it asap πŸ˜€

(very even gaps though, tick)

Nope, front is way too short, get a Raw Mudflap on it asap

It now has a Brooks front flap. 8)

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.