Is it worth persevering with one finger braking?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is it worth persevering with one finger braking?
  • Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

So, went on a course and was persuaded to move my levers inboard on the bars so I braked with 1 finger rather than the two I normally used.  It’s different but I’m not really sure it’s an improvement.  Is it worth persevering with for some future benefit or is it really just a case of personal preference?  I’m old skool and used to braking on cantilevers with every finger available but still with little effect so it’s take a while to get down to two

Also, the brakes are the combined Shimano shifters/levers BL-M8000.  There are two ‘slots’ where the shifter part can be attached.  I’m guessing that the idea is to move the shifter to the more outboard slot when using only one finger?

scotroutes

The slots just let you adjust to personal preference. My shifters are as far inboard as they’ll go.

I find one finger is generally all I need for braking. That leaves a good grip on the bar.

Took me years to adopt the single digit method. Just didn’t feel confident enough. Now I’m one finger all the way except on the more hairy stuff.

I used to like 2 finger braking with the reach and bite point really far out with a hard bite point (shimano).

I prefer the total opposite now – 1 finger braking with levers as in board as possible, bite point close to the bars and lots of modulation… (on hayes dominions which are 10/10)

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I think just do whatever is comfortable, though you should easily be able to single finger with modern brakes, and in theory, that leaves you more to grab on with.

Edukator

I’ve not sure how many fingers I use on my MTBs, I’ll take note. However I’m sure it varies depending on what’s the priority, hanging on or stopping. It was all four on the roadie with single pivot Exage brakes down the steep side of the Marie Blanque this afternoon.

Premier Icon Del
    Subscriber

Yes

Rockhopper

I only every used one finger on my Ducati so I’ve sort of transferred that skill to my mountain bike as well. To be honest it was a real pain in the winter as mitten style gloves keep your fingers toasty but make it tricky to one finger brake!

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

I single finger brake, but with my middle finger. I’ve no idea why, just feels more comfortable.

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Subscriber

Yes. Once I tried it I simply couldn’t stop.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

I’m one finger all the way except on the more hairy stuff.

Fnarrfnarr

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Yes. Once I tried it I simply couldn’t stop

Badoom and indeed, tish

Ok, I’m convinced – I’ll persevere.

My shifters are as far inboard as they’ll go.

I find with that then with only one finger I can’t pull on the smaller lever, only push it with my thumb.  Not really a problem though.  Getting the shifter into a comfy position is the next trick

Didn’t think anyone did anything different – brakes have been powerful enough for long enough now that I thought using more than one finger would have died out long ago.

JP

Gunz

Try gripping a couple of fingers on your opposite hand with two fingers, then do it with three and feel the exponential increase in grip. That should make your mind up.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I use four fingers but tend to find I piss on three.

hols2

For me, it depends on the levers. I have one bike with SLX brakes that are specifically one-finger. I have no problems only using one finger for those, but my other bikes have older brakes designed for two fingers. I have tried only using one finger on those, but never found a setup that was comfortable so I went back to two fingers. I really don’t see what all the fuss is about TBH.

mashr

Now I’m one finger all the way except on the more hairy stuff.

Why would you want to give yourself less control of the bike in the situations where you want more? Single-digit braking makes the most sense when things are steep and/or technical

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Im most definitely odd one out it would appear.lol

In sure it’s in my head but I seem to be able to better judge modulation using 2 finger braking? That’s on Guide RS.

On the winter bike it’s more to do with power as they are old/bottom of the line Shims and I’m not the lightest rider on the trails.

However op, this is a situation where you need to ask yourself one thing only….

“What would Geex do?”

Then you can’t go wrong mate.😁

geex

DEATHGRIP (preferably through rushour traffic).

most folk brake far too much

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Damn you are fast Geex! 😁

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

For those that like threads being revived, I thought I would follow the advice of some here so I moved the brakes so I had no option but to use one finger and then I moved shifters/dropper etc. to match that so everything was in the best possible place rather than a sort of halfway house where it was neither one nor the other.  It’s been a couple of weeks now and it does indeed fell much better.  Biggest different seems to be that it’s moved my hand position slightly so my hands don’t get numb on the bars any more which was an added bonus I wasn’t really expecting.  Overall feel more in control so loving it so far

Good stuff mate. 👌🏻

greyspoke

Internet in helpful advice shocker

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Cool. I just hope you’re not braking “far too much”.

philjunior

For those that like threads being revived, I thought I would follow the advice of some here so I moved the brakes so I had no option but to use one finger and then I moved shifters/dropper etc. to match that so everything was in the best possible place rather than a sort of halfway house where it was neither one nor the other. It’s been a couple of weeks now and it does indeed fell much better. Biggest different seems to be that it’s moved my hand position slightly so my hands don’t get numb on the bars any more which was an added bonus I wasn’t really expecting. Overall feel more in control so loving it so far

Glad to hear it. One finger really is all you need if the brakes are working!

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Glad to hear it. One finger really is all you need if the brakes are working!

Yes, I can lock the brakes with one finger.  I’m pretty sure I don’t need more than that.  Stuff really does work much better these days

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.