• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is it worth keeping up the Skoda service history on my car
  • sofaking
    Free Member

2013 reg with full skoda history up to now. plan on keeping it for a year or two  so is it worth keeping that up or just get it serviced at a local( lots cheaper) garage.

how much does full  manufacturer service history affect its  value ?

Drac

Very little people just want to see a stamp in the book even then most don’t care.

rone

Personally I would.  Depends what you are going to do with it . And how much servicing it needs.

djl1

I would, you are taking about 1 service probably. For the sake of maybe £50 extra (if a minor service next) it should be easier to sell even if it doesnt increase the value

slackboy

I’d say yes. I just had the oil changed on mine at a local garage and it was more expensive than the fixed price annual service at a skoda dealer

andy4d

As said above, it should make it easier to sell. If you had a choice to buy a used car, 1 with full dealer service and one without, all else being equal which one would you buy yourself?

Houns

Makes no difference to me if I was looking to buy a car. If it was some exotic sports car then yes dealer service only but a run of the mill car? As long as regularly serviced that’s all that matters

nuke

Slightly different reason than most but im no and have a Skoda Yeti that has always had a Skoda service… my Yeti needs the ‘fix’ (2011 car) and i don’t want it done; however when it was due its last service i booked it in with specific instructions it was just a service but they’d automatically booked it in for the fix as well so i took it to an independent instead

garage-dweller

If it has had its emissions “fix” and assuming Skoda is running the same two year goodwill programme on emissions components that VW is I’d keep it there until the two years (which in my case runs from the date of fixing) are up.

If it is a diesel and hasn’t been “fixed” I’d be keeping it well away from the dealer.

Environmental issues aside I really wish mine had not been done but now it has it goes to VW all the time until that goodwill programme expires or until it gets replaced whichever comes first (hopefully the latter).

sofaking
    Free Member

thankd folks.

mine had the emissions thing done and it did nothing noticeable to performance

back to skoda then for me

CheesybeanZ

Haggle with the main dealer Matt , they need to sell the hours . Tell them what an independent is changing and see if they’ll match .

sofaking
    Free Member

Cheers Cheesy, will give it a try

anagallis_arvensis

If it is a diesel and hasn’t been “fixed” I’d be keeping it well away from the dealer.

Our dealer asked if we wanted the “fix” a couple of times, we said no thanks. They didnt ask next time.

FuzzyWuzzy

Def just go local if it’s a lot cheaper but you need to make sure they’re doing the proper service on the big ones and changing all the required bits and bobs.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

When i traded in my last car I had a bulging wallet full of receipts and bills from independent garages.   The bloke looked in the empty service book and said “hmm, not much history with it….”.

kcal

At that age I can see your thinking, esp. if you’re selling on in a year or two.

It would be different call if it was a bit older and you were going to hold on to it for longer.

Haven’t bought a new car in many years, the last four have been second hand and serviced at independent garages. Not all great, but one I now use locally has been very good and I’d look for similar if I was doing it all over again.

Nico
    Free Member

When i traded in my last car I had a bulging wallet full of receipts and bills from independent garages. The bloke looked in the empty service book and said “hmm, not much history with it….”.

If you are getting it serviced at an independent then they could have stamped the service book – mine does. If you don’t get it serviced, but just get it fixed when something goes wrong then those receipts aren’t going to be a service history.

My experience from Skoda main dealers is that they are not much more expensive than an independent and they do all the little things like greasing the door hinges which others might neglect.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth keeping up the Skoda service history on my car’ is closed to new replies.