Is it worth ‘doing up’ old bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Is it worth ‘doing up’ old bike?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Is it worth ‘doing up’ old bike?
  • Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

In a word, yeah, you will be able to get stuff to get it up and running, although if you can salvage the headset and forks that will save you a bit of hassle, as they are probably 1″ threaded jobbies. You can measure the BB shell width – if it’s 68mm then a modern BB will fit it.

If it seems like too much effort, you can give it to a recycling charity like Emmaus or I’m sure someone on here will have it as a “project”.

clubber

This is my 95 Kona Kilauea – fixed, repainted, built up several different ways but currently working nicely as a commuter/baby carrier/mtb

You should have no real problems other than the 1″ headset and forks though I’m sure you’ll be able to find something on here or retrobike

GW

all the Bear Valleys I’ve ever seen were 1&1/8″ – the SE was out around ’93 IIRC

davey99

Is that the Black/silver one ?
    Decent bike, still make a good trail/commuter hack.
    All bits should be avaliable, but good quality older parts are quite popular with the ‘retro’ crowd and can be pricy, and newer stuff does not always look right on an older frame.
    Got my old Palisades trail going again recently, tyres, chain, cassette, cranks, BB, headset, stem, grips, saddle, pads, cables- some new, some Ebay still cost over £120, (nothing that fancy either), more than its worth really
    But it looks ok and still rides nice, still stuck with the original rigid forks though, hard to find with threaded steerer and no more than 80mm travel.
    D.

Rambo

I have the same dilemma.

I’m in the process of updating my 1994 Team Marin to a Yeti ASR and have thought long and hard about what to do with the Team. A lot of parts need replacing as they are very worn so the latest idea is to get an EBB and turn it into a singlespeed

Another option is to try and get older replacement parts to save having to replace the gearing with more modern bits which will be v.expensive.

I’ll be interested to hear what you decide.

thomthumb

financially no
    sentimentally maybe 😀

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

Lots of bike shops have a substantial bits box in the back, which can be a tatty goldmine for this sort of project.

RudeBoy

One of me mates is on an old Marin what I fixed up. A bike like that is a perfect commuter/pub/shop bike. I’m assuming it’s a bit tatty, considering it’s neglect. Ideal; the tattier the better, for leaving locked up and that.

SS it. Unless you live somewhere very hilly, SS is perfect for a pikey bikey™. Simple, lightweight and low maintenance.

SiB

Got an old Marin Bear Valley Se that must be 20years old now, unridden for last 15years and stored outside for long periods. Was just going to tip it but on inspection the frame is spotless but everything else will need replacing. I’m fairly new to all this and wondering if I went ahead and converted to singlespeed would new/2ndhand parts fit a 20yr old bike? I’m thinking forks, headset, bb etc?

SiB

Thanks for all you advice, will be rebuilding up as a ss after reading your comments above so look out for my posts asking q’s!!

Dave99 yes, its the black (charcoal) one with silver – and paintwork still pristine after all these years of neglect and left outdoors, it deserves to be rescued after surviving that!

Anyone know of any good sites to point me in right direction as I’m a bot of a novice?

Premier Icon jonathan
    Subscriber

For basic repair info the Park Tool site is very good.

For stuff on standards and compatibility the late Sheldon Brown’s Bicyce Glossary is really useful.

For just odd old stuff then asking questions over on retrobike can be quite productive.

davey99

Ebay is still useful for parts, but it helps to know a bit first.
    Local Bike shop also handy, but does tend to cost more.
    One tip I would give you is never throw anything away from the bike ’til its up and running, having the original could have saved me so much time + effort in the past.!
    Good luck if you go ahead, just ask on here if you are stuck,
    D.

SiB

Thanks again for all your advice and pointers, looking forward to getting started – might even have to make an early dart from work!

Have a look at retrobike.co.uk if you need advice or parts.

Elbows

Regarding forks, Magura were doing 1″ steerer options for their forks up until a couple of years ago. When I was single speeding m old ’95 Pace I got a set of Magura Phaeons for 100 Euros and bought the 1″ steerer and crown for 50 Euros. Contacted Pace whos said that I shouldn´t use any more than 100mm travel, so just ride them wound down. Modern(ish) forks with low/high speed damping and rebound control.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth ‘doing up’ old bike?’ is closed to new replies.