Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Is it worth buying a cerramic Open Pro over a ‘normal’ one?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

Because they cost about twice as much,are cerramic rims definately much more worth buying than non cerramic rims?

Many thanks,

Tim

cynic-al
    Free Member

the benefit is the rims don’t wear out through braking. That’s it!

TimothyD
    Free Member

Probably worth buying then,if the rims last longer.

Might sell some old bike bits towards some.

Ta,

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CraigW
    Free Member

The standard Open pros last ages anyway, so I wouldn’t worry about them wearing out from braking. I think I will probably end up bending them on a pothole or in a crash before they wear out, so not much point in paying twice as much for ceramics.
    Ceramic rims are supposedly better for braking in the wet, but you need specific brake pads, which are usually not cheap.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

no point, just get the normal versions.

Let us know if you find them for a good price!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you are doing winter training in crappy conditions it is not difficult to wear through rims. But if you never have then don’t worry.

crazy-legs

I bought ceramic Open Pro’s for my CX and certainly on that where the rims are exposed to all kinds of crap and I’m braking far more than I would on a road bike it’s definitely worth it. I’m using ceramic specific Avid pads with them, bonus is the pads last ages and the braking is predictable and powerful in all conditions.
    I’ve only ever worn through a road rim once (and the wheels had done thousands of miles as well as a stint on my previous CX) so not really an issue I’d say. Standard ones are plenty good enough for normal road use.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth buying a cerramic Open Pro over a ‘normal’ one?’ is closed to new replies.