Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Is it unreasonable….
  • tails
    Free Member

They should let their dog chase your cat! Win win situation! I hate cats!

cinnamon_girl

Get rid of your cat. Simples.

(worst and most pointless animal in the world).

AndrewJ
    Free Member

The comment that its protecting his pack may be the issue, however there in lies the problem, it should not see itself as the leader, surely the owner should be.

Ah but you are seeing the dog through human eyes. It’s a dog, if it sees it’s owner as being weak then it will try to protect, it’s a pack mentality. It’s all about being calm, assertive and consistent with dogs! If the owners aren’t assertive and let the dog get away with things then it becomes the pack leader.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Whenever it barks, blast the most offensive gangsta rap you can find at 130db.

mrgoll
    Free Member

Can’t we all just learn to get along? Can’t we all just be a bit cooler and suck a little bit less?

Dogs bark, it is in their nature. Some dogs bark more than others. They are very territorial. My sisters dog is so annoying sometimes with his barking it drives me nuts – but, if she didn’t adopt him – he would have been put down for sure (because that is his defect). And on balance he is a good dog. Anyway, nobody is perfect.

I am sure you will change your mind if/when said dog prevents theiving of your aforementioned currently under-fettled bike.

Get round there with a couple of Bonio’s, and get some compromise going on. Maybe if you and Hootch are buddies he won’t go so wild when your mug pops into view. Bring him round your yard for a good sniff and a scrunge. Doesn’t matter who judges who as being wrong or right, and the point scoring does not help – so just make more effort to make the situation better.

I know I sound like I’m training to be Dear Dedrie’s replacement, but you can’t deny that if we all acted a little cooler by dismissing egomania, grandiosity and pomposity – the world would be a much better place. It only takes a few small changes, and when everybody gets a bit cooler, we all benefit. Be the best you can be – it’s easy.

Just think, when everything is resolved – it will have been worth the initial inconvenience, of actually getting together and sorting the issues out. Write it down, tackle the problem bit by bit.

Think about it like this, if you don’t get it sorted – you may will end up on Jeremy Kyle one day. 😯 Good Luck, and I hope it all pans out for you!

arcane
    Free Member

“(worst and most pointless animal in the world). “

Worst in what sense?

Please explain. 🙂

RustySpanner

cinnamon_girl – Member

Get rid of your cat. Simples.

(worst and most pointless animal in the world).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“worst and most pointless animal in the world”

Wrong species.

Try again…..

duckman

Why should they address any issue you have with their pet when you, by your own admission, swore at her and threatened her? Think you have burnt your bridges, or any chance of getting them to do anything about it. Of course you obviously don’t see it that way,as your op explains how you “had” to tell her to eff off.

konabunny
    Free Member

Feed it some special meat. With “stuff” on it.

Feed the douchebag owners the special meat. They’re the ones at fault.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Prior to last nights events I have had a long discussion with her husband in my house trying to resolve these issues, they are obviously not wanting to ajust their dogs behavior, how can you reason with people who have convinced themselves we got a cat to torment their dogs, there’s about 6 other cats that come and go through our gardens, I’m not Dick Whittington. They could easily stop the dog from going in the window but don’t. I get on well with all the other neighbors and have walked other neighbors dogs, I’m think they could do a lot more to train their dog.

mattbee

I’m afraid that you are being unreasonable. Not in wanting to have a quiet life but in expecting the neighbours/dog to do all the work.
    To echo a few other comments your current behaviour won’t be helping. The dog will see your attitude as a threat to its ‘pack’ and will act to defend it.
    If you really want them to ‘train’ it not to bark at you it will take some efforet on your part. You need to meet them and their dog at a location awy from the house so it has nothing to defend. Make friends with it; whether playing, treats whatever. Let the dog see you being overly jolly and friendly with it’s owners so it knows you are an extended part of the pack. What you are trying to do is make the dog realise that you are ‘cool’ rather thn a threat.
    We moved into a new house with our 3 year old dog last autumn and he was very barky with one set of neighbours until we did the above. Worked a treat, he will still bark if he sees or smells strangers in their gardem but they get a waggy tail at most.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I love all the nonsense about it being the OPs fault and he has to do this that and the other to stop the dog barking!

He has to do nothing. Its the owners responsibility to train their dog properly. End of debate. If they can’t do so they they should not have a dog

davidjones15
    Free Member

I have had issues with them over the dog as the problem used to be a lot worse, however they think because we got a cat (thanks molgrips hes brill) and the cat goes over to there’s we somehow did this on purpose to antagonize the dog, how do I train a cat to do that ffs,

As long as your cat doesn’t go in their garden and crap all over the place, or evencreate any problem for your neighbours, I guess you can demand that they control their dog.
    This place gets worse.
    100% YES, it is unreasonable.

mattbee

It’s not a case of ‘has to’ though. It just makes it so much easier. Yes it’s the owners responsibility to train it. It would be much quicker and easier to do so if the OP got involved in that process though.
    End of debate? I wish someone would train you to be less rude, that’s the end of my debate….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What – its unreasonable to expect your neighbours to train and control their dog? Even the kennel club admit barking dogs is a noise nuisence

joao3v16
    Free Member

Make a recording of a barking dog and rig up a sensor/speakers to play it back every time your neighbours enter and leave their house, or are doing something in their garden.

mattbee

Sigh. Yet again you take a single part of a statement, ignore the context and use it to prove your superiority.
    Yes, the owner has the responsibility of training their animal.
    Yes, the OP has the right to live without a ‘nuisance’ noise.
    Yes, he should be able to have some thing done about it.

Understanding how the dog’s psyche works though (which you don’t appear to) suggests that the OP’s involvement in the training that the owner should be doing will give a much higher chance of a favourable outcome. Surely that is not unreasonable? Or he could not get involved, carry on being pissed off about it and the dog will sense his and it’s owners moods and act to ‘defend’ the owners he sees as his pack, just like guard dogs do. It is aa case of letting the dog know he doesn’t need to guard the owner from you, as you are part of the pack too. That is a hell of a lot easier than being a sanctimonious arsehole who deliberateyl misreads things in order to score imaginary points.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Feed the douchebag owners the special meat

Careful with this – the latest commandment from the BHF states that we’re not allowed red meat because every mouthful will kill you and your family to death.

konabunny
    Free Member

Yet again you…prove your superiority.

Come on, mattbee, don’t be such a sycophant!

the latest commandment from the BHF states that we’re not allowed red meat because every mouthful will kill you and your family to death.

Apparently the British Heart Foundation is still nowhere near as influential as the British Hyperbole Foundation.

davidjones15
    Free Member

You can please some of the people all of the time.
    You can please all of the people some of the time.
    But you can’t please all of the people, all of the time.
    The OP’s change from 1st person plural (we need to sort out the problem) from the neighbour to the first person singular (I want you to control your dog) does hint to me that not only does the OP lack negotiating skills, they also fall into the third category above, as do some others.
    If you choose to live among people, surely it is unreasonable to expect them to conform to your norms and values.
    I would suggest that you go round and get to know the dog as I suspect you have done something to wind the dog up. My ex had dogs and I know that people who didn’t bother my dog wouldn’t get barked at. People who did, did.
    I don’t have dogs becasue I don’t particularly like them, but I like to think I’m intelligent enough to recognise that I can’t turn my dislike of dogs into some kind of crusade preventing other people from enjoying dogs. I do have a dislike for cats though, it would appear that they do not discriminate when looking for a toilet and the mixture of children and cat crap is not a good one.
    I hope the OP knows and controls where the cat is crapping before criticising others.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ahh now I see it, In order to resolve the barking dog issue I become a dog whisperer and work some Zen magic on the mutt, and grovel like mad to its owners even though their in the wrong and refuse to see reason, loving all the advice folks.

davidjones15
    Free Member

and grovel like mad to its owners even thoughtheir they’re in the wrong

You see? This is the problem. No middle ground, it’s your way or no way. Why do you see talking to the neighbour as “grovelling”, it’s not and until you can see this you’ll always be a loser.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I love how all my comments are taken so literally!

konabunny
    Free Member

If you choose to live among people, surely it is unreasonable to expect them to conform to your norms…

…so don’t buy dogs when you know a) dogs often bark for no reason (because they’re dogs), b) not everyone enjoys dogs barking and c) your home is situated close enough to others’ homes that when your dog barks, others will hear it.

davidjones15
    Free Member

How else can they be taken? I don’t know you well enough to pick up on your sublties. Anyway, you don’t actually want to hear anything that goes against you point of view. I believe the phrase is “I’m out” and good luck trying to change the world.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

You see? This is the problem. No middle ground, it’s your way or no way. Why do you see talking to the neighbour as “grovelling”, it’s not and until you can see this you’ll always be a loser.

Unbelievable 🙄
    Its noise pollution – end of.

The dog owners are in the wrong & should correct the problem.

If the OP was to blast a car horn at the same loudness & frequency as the dog barks, how long till he gets a)arrested b)punched in the face?

wrecker
    Free Member

You could start barking at the neighbours every time they walk past your house?
    Seriously though, use the doorbell. Don’t knock on peoples windows.

zokes
    Free Member

Turn up with the cat under your arm and give the dog a play-mate. He’ll love you then and stop barking. One less cat wouldn’t go amiss either…

MrSmith
    Free Member

He has to do nothing. Its the owners responsibility to train their dog properly. End of debate. If they can’t do so they they should not have a dog

the same rationale should be applied to parents of rude kids.
    (yes that applies to those who think their kids are wonderful too)

deepreddave
    Free Member

flippinheckler – Why not train your cat to sit on their window sill whilst you’re out? Oh and try to calm down generally, trying to break your neighbour’s foot is never a good neighbourly act. Unless they want to claim extra benefits.

rocketman
    Free Member

don’t get me started on fricken dogs

crankboy
    Free Member

I’m sorry if i missed something in this but how did you expect going up and banging on your neighbours window to improve either the dogs behavior or your relationship with your neighbours . Your neighbour then came to talk to you offering to try and sort things out to which you make a flat demand then shut the door in her face and end up being rude and insulting .

Neighbour disputes are hell on earth the only solution is to either move or compromise, you are not going to reach any compromise if you won’t discuss the matter reasonably when she tries to do so.

I assume you did not grow up in a terrace . If you live in close proximity to other people you will hear noise and have interactions you would not otherwise chose to experience, the secret to happiness is to tolerate them in the certain knowledge that they are extending you the same courtesy .

thomthumb
    Free Member

the mad women puts her foot on my door to stop me from shutting it

technically burglary. 😈

druidh
    Free Member

used a lot more force to shut my door even with her foot in place.

technically assault. 😈

Ro5ey
    Free Member

How do people get themselves into these ridiculous situations?

Do they do it on purpose, just so they can come on here and bleat?

Have a word with yourself pal…. If a sproradically barking dog is all you’ve got to worry about, life must be pretty sweet.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

My neighbours pooch does this. Well it’s not her dog, it’s her sons. It stands in the window barking it’s head off everytime I walk past.

It is annoying – but it’s not that annoying as it stops when I’m out of sight. To be honest it sounds like you have issues with your neighbour and this is just a trigger point.

But – if you want to do something about it then wait until they’re watching telly and go and fettle your bike outside the window. It’ll soon become their noise problem then…..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is it unreasonable….

Of course it is. Completely unreasonable, everything is. Hacks me off. Grrrr.

headfirst
    Free Member

Back from page 1:

enigmas – Member
    Look on the bright side, at least you have a guard dog that you dont have to feed or walk looking after your bikes

+1

Our two dogs start barking as soon as anyone steps on our drive, whether they’re out in the back/side garden, in their bed or just round and about the house. We don’t actively encourage them or discourage them, it makes my two teenage daughters feel a lot safer when they are home by themselves.

They also like to bark at birds and squirrels in the trees, you’d think our neighbours would complain(especially as they get let out at about 6:45am through the week) but then the dogs have alerted us and them to burglars in their back gardens on two separate occasions and most likely put others off too.

konabunny
    Free Member

If you live in close proximity to other people you shouldn’t have hobbies that have a fair chance to leading to noise that will bother others, like owning dogs. The secret to happiness is to refrain them in the certain knowledge that your neighbours are extending you the same courtesy by refraining from their noisy hobbies.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Is it unreasonable….’ is closed to new replies.