Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Is it unreasonable? (bus driver content)
  • CountZero

Exact change or no travel on our local buses, and £2.30 to travel 6 miles and it takes over 40 minutes.

Bloke I work with gets a taxi to and from work every day, as he doesn’t have a car at the mo’. From work, on the west side of town to his place is approx six miles, takes ten-fifteen minutes and costs £8. There’s a bus goes through the estate. It doesn’t go to Corsham, though, it goes into Chippenham bus station, around two miles in the wrong direction, then he’d have to catch another bus to take him the now eight miles back home via the scenic route. Total travel time around two hours, and costs £9. Oh, and he starts work at 6am, so it’s not certain there’s even a bus at that time. Cycling isn’t an option for him either. A friend had to move into Bath from Colerne, about seven/eight miles. There is only one bus out in the morning, at 7.30. It gets into Bath at around 8.00am. She starts work at 7.45. Cycling back home at 7-8 in the evening up Bannerdown Hill also isn’t an option.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So go to just outside it then.

I’ve been to Warrington thank you very much. I’ll not be going again.

And London is the most hateful, self centred, busy, unpleasant place in Britain.

Good. You won’t ever be coming here then? Great. One less ignorant bigot to worry about then…

project
    Free Member

Bus drivers revenge, one german car and a bus stop and shelter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiGkI53PeRw&NR=1

Women never park on a single yellow line.

and another towards the end.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Even decades ago, bus drivers had a bad attitude to giving change!

I recall one occasion when i was refused a ticket because I only had a fiver, but the driver said to go get some change in the shop adjacent to the bus stop. There were loads of people behind me, so I legged it in, bought a packet of mints and legged it out. He watched me running for the bus, but shut the doors as I got there and then drove off, despite saying he’d wait for me (the twunt!)

Bus drivers often used to close the doors and drive off just as you got to the door and after you legged it to get on board. This often happened to me when I was on the way home soon after I was allowed out of my place of work. I often saw bus drivers do this to other customers. These guys were just mean spirited and this must have been one of the few sources of amusement in their pathetic little lives.

In the mornings, I used to get the first bus at 05:45. This was when they bothered to show up, then I would be late for work and have mey wages docked! The journey went round every housing estate in the most convoluted 40 minute route imaginable. In the end I gave up and bought a car (as soon as I had the money). My six mile journey then took 15 minutes and my dignity was restored. If only I had realised back then, that cycling was an option!

These days buses have screens to protect the drivers. It’s not surprizing they need these judging by their surly attitude. All they need to do is calm down, slow down and learn how to handle people. Simples!

However you won’t ever see me on a bus except in Central London, but i’ll always opt for the Tube first.

There’s a big stigma attached to using buses; if you have to use one, you have failed!

racemonkey

Surely it can’t just be me that’s been tempted to push the “emergency engine stop” button on the back of a bus being badly driven by a bellend?

terrahawk
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

A few days ago you said this on a thread about someone being stuck in traffic on his way to Manchester

No problem. Just wish I could be up there too.

different time of the month now is it?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah; to have a drink with WCA. The location isn’t important.

I’ve got nowt against Manchester really, it’s just there’s nowt that appeals to me; London’s got it all and much more. I’ve heard many folk from Manchester say the same thing. People dream of coming and living in London. I’ve never ever heard anyone say they dream of living in Manchester.

Sorry, but it’s true. London’s a far, far greater city. Most folk around the World would agree, and if you’re really honest with yourself, you’d agree too. Try to look beyond your jealousy and envy.

Bradford’s got more appeal for me than Manchester.

molgrips
    Free Member

London does indeed have a lot going for it, and I enjoy it a lot, but it doesn’t have everything.

Great doorstep riding is what it’s missing.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is it about Bradford that appeals? I am curious!

hels
    Free Member

In defence of bus drivers some are nice. There is a guy on the morning run sometimes who is very camp, wears lots of man-jewellery and gives other bus drivers he passes a big Julian Clary wave its very entertaining and quite makes my morning.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also in defence – I’ve seen countless bus drivers in Cardiff wait for people running for busses. They even look in their mirrors to see if anyone is. Once or twice they’ve waited for me even though I am just walking or running by and not getting on.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bradford is a fantastic little city. Once one of the wealthiest cities in the World! Centre of the once World-leading textile industry. It has a character that is unique, and sets it apart from most other larger UK cities. It’s overshadowed by Leeds, but that’s only because Leeds has (unfairly) had significantly more development in recent years. You’ve got yer Saltaire, town hall, wool exchange and several other great architectural sites. The Bradford Alhambra inspired the building of a palace of the same name, in Granada, Spain. The National Media Museum is a great information and history resource, as well as a good little exhibition space.

Curry.

Bradford fortunately hasn’t suffered the same fate as many other cities, and been stripped of it’s own character to serve corporate interests. I think it’s perfectly positioned to rise once more, as a centre of culture and ideas.

The setting for one of the greatest British films of all time.

Riding from the doorstep? Pisses over Manchester!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely it can’t just be me that’s been tempted to push the “emergency engine stop” button on the back of a bus being badly driven by a bellend?

No, I know of a few people who used to do it regularly. Then they moved the emergency stop buttons behind panels and it became a bit harder.

TJ – it’s not a non-issue at all, it’ a royal pain in the arse in a modern society. I for one don’t carry change about, not more than a few coppers – I’ve never any need. So the odd occasion I might NEED to grab a bus I have to go get some cash out, go to a shop, but stuff I don’t want, then go back to the bus to get it. WTF? Buses always used to carry change, shedloads of it. Maybe in Ed it’s all nice and regular and the machines are wonderful (though why they couldnt give change I don’t know) but most other places it’s not like that.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I rest my case.

cynic-al
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    I think the 1 time I’ve paid for parking since I lived there for 2 months and then started visiting embra every week was when I got that ticket last week.

You don’t commute or work here, you visit rented accomodation with free parking that most can’t afford to buy?

brassneck

Don’t need to go as far as a nationwide Oyster card, why not just a chip’n’pin reader on the bus? Or charge to mobile phone bill? I can’t see why these aren’t perfect micro payment systems.

All those charges that you just KNOW are a little bit extra to catch out the non locals are awful. Wilts CC are masters at adding 5p to parking to make it a pain, so I took to carrying bags of 5p’s and guess what? the machine won’t accept more than about 25 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Coffeeking – waht a load of waffle – if you used busees you would know its a non issue. But you don’t

You don’t have cash on you ever? if you were using buses you would

Really – its a non issues in Edinburgh – its been like this for decades and everyone is used to it

Are you royalty? Never carry cash indeed

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member

I don’t understand who catches a bus. It’s cheaper to drive most places, and in the countryside is quicker.

Rubbish

Do you pay for the tax and insurance on your car? did you pay to buy it?

Karinofnine

thebikechain – Member

…all it needs is a conductor like the olde days and this will also keep Senga and Chesney up the back seats in check and stop them playing happy hardcore crap on their phones.

Excuse me! Happy hardcore is not crap! 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you pay for the tax and insurance on your car? did you pay to buy it?

*sigh*

Many people own a car for other reasons, so when you are talking about a specific journey ie going into town the tax and insurance etc are not factors.

Jesus you aren’t half dense at times.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and everyone is used to it

Apart from those people that are tourists, although you claim that all the helpful locals help them out.

Sometimes TJ, you do seem to just argue for the sake of it.

Sorry, did I say sometimes?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh, and I never carry cash – any spare money I have always goes into a tin at home (this includes £1 and £2 coins). So the only time I have anything less than a fiver is if I have already bought something in that particular visit to town or whatever.

hels
    Free Member

Hmm – I would think that tax and insurance are a factor in the cost of the car. Divide how much you spend by how many miles you do and yopu have your cost per mile. So it’s cheaper to use your car loads. Oh, hang on….

Doug
    Free Member

OP – Yes it is unreasonable paying £10 for a £4.10 fare. If several passengers do it near the start of a drivers shift then the £10 change float drivers are given goes pretty fast leaving no change for those passengers considerate enough to bring roughly the correct fare. Later in the day £20 notes are fine just expect the change in coins when drivers are trying to lighten their bags.

And yes I am a bus driver. Most passenger buying a £16 week ticket on our route either bring £16 or hand over a pound coin with their £20 so I can give a £5 note back rather than £4 change out of my float.

Our policy is to offer the passenger the opportunity of picking up change owed up from the depot the next day. Other companies will give credit tickets. If you start letting passengers travel for free because you have run out of change, guess what percentage of your passengers will be bringing large notes the next day. Some days we take over £600, you really would need to be a bank to carry that much loose change.

Like any profession there are good drivers and knobs. Shutting doors in peoples faces is unacceptable however once they are shut you and start to move off you are not allowed to open them again. Some drivers do but this encourages passengers to step in front of you or run alongside the bus banging on the doors which isnt exactly safe.

Single fares are pretty expensive but it is seen as a fair charge for occasional users. Regular passengers buy day tickets which often cost less than a return. Week tickets bring local travel to under £2 a day. A Northwest and N Wales area ticket which covers from Preston to Aberystwyth only costs £16 or around £600 for the year. How much is tax and insurance these days?

There is no excusing drivers who try to run cyclists over and I would urge anyone to report them. It will go on their file and add to any previous or future incidents. There are also many cyclists who I am convinced are trying to kill themselves. Riding out of side roads expecting a bus with standing passengers to slow or even stop like a car, red light jumping as you enter a junction from another direction and riding up the inside of a slowly moving bus with it’s left indicator on are all frequent examples. There are also bus drivers who get wound up by matchbox drivers and cyclists as a group in the same way that certain other road users lump bus drivers together.

I’ve had a bloke that was riding along the pavement ride out onto a zebra crossing directly in front of me without looking over his shoulder when I was doing about 30mph. Luckily he was crossing from the other side of the road and saw me before carrying on in front of the bus as there was no way I could have stopped. He then started shouting and bawling at the next stop as to why I failed to give way. Go figure! I just drove off as it’s just hassle you don’t need.

Anyway, queue bus driver abuse!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – pot kettle black – do you know anything about this? Do you use buses? If you do then you leave some change in your pockets for the bus. Its not rocket science

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – pot kettle black – do you know anything about this? Do you use buses? If you do then you leave some change in your pockets for the bus. Its not rocket science

I have already answered that question TJ ^^^^^^ (and when I use a bus I don’t need to leave change in my pocket because ours give change). And of course it is not rocket science, but I am frankly astounded that you think it is reasonable for bus companies to use such tactics which are directly and solely employed to increase company profits through the assumption that some passengers will have no choice but to overpay.

I would have thought, given your political tendencies, for you to be shouting for ticket collectors, inspectors and a return of union rule, not over simplification and staff reductions to fill company coffers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – I explained to you why they do it.

You don’t use buses, you don’t carry change. if you used buses you would carry change and you might have some understanding of the situation

hels
    Free Member

I don’t know – all this guff about change. If you went into Greggs the bakers is it rude to use a fiver for a 58p sausage roll ??

If it is a business requirement to service the needs of your customer to ensure that drivers have enough change, then you ensure that drivers have enough change. Or you don’t give change and charge a flat fee, accept cards, give out credit vouchers, something, anything. Just don’t blame the customer, they are paying for the service, and quite a lot in some cases.

I frakking hate the bus but am stuck with it sometimes. First Buses regularly say “oh it’s an underused service” thats because it’s so UNRELIABLE. 3 times last couple of weeks I have tried to catch a bus that just flat didn’t turn up. Make it better and people might use it ??

Harry_the_Spider

And yes I am a bus driver. Most passenger buying a £16 week ticket on our route either bring £16 or hand over a pound coin with their £20 so I can give a £5 note back rather than £4 change out of my float.

So would £10.10 be acceptable for a £4.10 fare? I’m not trying to be funny here but where is my wife supposed to find £8.20 in change every week when most payments are made with plastic and cash points pay out in multiples of £10 notes?

It sounds like the system is out dated. Bigger floats or Oyster Card type payments are needed. Not abusive drivers (clearly this does not apply to all of them becasue the one on Monday accpeted the tenner without issue) who would leave somebody stood in the pissing rain at 7:00am because they haven’t got the right change.

Everywhen
    Free Member

I recall when there were conductors on the buses and you could ask for a “cheapy”, usually whatever coppers you had on you and no ticket issued.
    shared at the end of the shift between clippy and driver.

Doug
    Free Member

I don’t know – all this guff about change. If you went into Greggs the bakers is it rude to use a fiver for a 58p sausage roll ??

Greggs the bakers doesnt have hundreds of shops in each town. I would also refuse to carry any more than £10 float on the grounds that it would increase the likelyhood of being robbed as I travel to and from work.

Cheapy’s went by the by when conductors were replaced with revenue inspectors although there is some discretion allowed as long as a ticket is issued.

So would £10.10 be acceptable for a £4.10 fare? I’m not trying to be funny here but where is my wife supposed to find £8.20 in change every week when most payments are made with plastic and cash points pay out in multiples of £10 notes?

£10.10 would be better as it’s full pounds rather than 90p of silver as you can be struggling for small change just as often as full pounds. Better yet would be a fiver or even £5.10. We have travelcards (Oyster type cards) that even give a 10% discount but most people just get a weeks ticket as they use several connecting buses to get where they are going.

hels
    Free Member

Greggs the baker does so have hundreds of shops in each town ! I am sure I cycle past at least a hundred on the way home.

But anyways my point was, if they can’t manage to give out change then come up with a solution that doesn’t involve turning customers away and making them angry…

Doug
    Free Member

But anyways my point was, if they can’t manage to give out change then come up with a solution that doesn’t involve turning customers away and making them angry…

We will take a name and address and they can then pick up the change from the bus station the next day. Inconvenient but passengers get to where they need to go. Other companies also offer ‘change tickets’ that can be used for your next fare. However sometimes the driver is just being a knob. Like I posted above, complain if it’s for a £10 note. For a £20 your on a hiding to nothing 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

you might have some understanding of the situation

I don’t think you understand the situation. Companies providing services are supposed to make an effort to make themselves as useful as possible to their customers. Except where there’s a monopoly, they can’t be bothered so insist on correct change.

Where there isn’t, you tend to get change imo.

Harry_the_Spider

£10.10 would be better as it’s full pounds rather than 90p of silver as you can be struggling for small change just as often as full pounds. Better yet would be a fiver or even £5.10. We have travelcards (Oyster type cards) that even give a 10% discount but most people just get a weeks ticket as they use several connecting buses to get where they are going.

Thanks for that. I shall pass this information to my missus and it will make the World (well my world and whovever reads the customer feeback e-mails a FIRST buses) a happier place. 😉

Thread closed. Let’s all talk about Katy Perry in a rubber dress.

Doug
    Free Member

Companies providing services are supposed to make an effort to make themselves as useful as practicably possible to their customers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’ve been on lots of busses that did give change, so it can’t be that hard surely?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF – I explained to you why they do it.

You don’t use buses, you don’t carry change. if you used buses you would carry change and you might have some understanding of the situation
    Ohh, just have a look further up the post where I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I do use buses (and trains) will you?

Arguing with you is like having a **** – ultimately gets a result, but there is no real interaction with another person so it always fails to fully satisfy.

🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol! Good one MF 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol! Good one MF 🙂

So good I posted twice!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Is it unreasonable? (bus driver content)’ is closed to new replies.