Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is it safe to ride yet – Sahara dust content
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Are we allowed to go out yet and do outdoor exercise?

(Midlands area)

stumpy01

I rode last night and am not dead.

faustus

Oh, i wouldn’t risk it – it gave me a puncture last night on the way home…

bonesetter
    Free Member

OMG Stumpy – you actually went against the government’s advise and rode?!

You’re a lucky man, or super human

I’m not sure I would be that lucky

edd

Trimix
    Free Member

All joking aside, my windscreen has needed cleaning a few times each day. Breathing in all that crap cant be good for you.

Still, Im going out for a ride tonight, but will use it as an excuse not to push hard up the hills.

bonesetter
    Free Member

There’s a few showers coming in later which should clear things

thepurist

I went out yesterday and strongly believe that air pollution is the only reason I was panting my way up hills.

News just said its LEVEL 10 in London now which is apparently as bad as it gets. Which must mean its as bad as the Beijing smogs or Mexico city…

mrmo
    Free Member

rode to work this morning and the air tastes rank, as an aside I assume that the car drivers will not be going out and adding more crap to the air!!!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Compared to the shite I used to smoke in the 90’s today’s air is nowt to worry about.

zerocool

How long has this thing been going on? It’s the first I’ve heard about it and I’ve been riding daily for the last month. Surely it’s no more dusty than riding in the summer on dry trails?

ChrisI

All safe for me in Hants, commute today was nice and quiet 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Zero – you must be living under a rock man. We’ve been advised to wear masks.

It’s hysteria out there!

wwaswas

Can we expect a chorus of Geordie diesel drivers releasing a single of “The Smog on Tyne”?

rickmeister

Why won’t the pollution index- o – meter go to 11, even the volume on iplayer does that

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll blame to the smog for my poor climbing on Monday night then!

The hysteria is quite funny – I’ve notice a bit of dust on the other half’s car after I cleaned it on Sunday and it’s a bit hazy.

The Metcheck website is taking the press’s view of it very seriously…

hooli

😯

The UK really is short of news stories at the moment for this to be a big deal. It’s dust and pollution FFS, the dust we kick up when out riding our mountain bikes. And it is polution, the same stuff we breath when road cycling, commuting, sitting in traffic jams etc.

Bregante

I’ve just been for a run for the first time in nearly 3 weeks and I can confirm that this air pollution seriously affects your fitness.

ninfan
    Free Member

Stay at home

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2wVhbMhHv4[/video]

maxtorque

Have i accidentally clicked through to the Daily Mail? That has got to be the worst article ever! Ignoring the fact that in terms of airborne pollution direct injected petrol cars create the greater amount of small particulate matter (ie the stuff that floats up into the air, not the big black sooty stuff that comes out of a derv and pretty much immediately falls out of suspension and lands on the road!), are we really so pathetic that we are suggesting kids can’t go outside?

(The reason we have more “smog” than we used to (although in real terms our air, both in the country and the city has never been cleaner…) is because we have more cars and lorries (of any type) and more industry, and more population, and critically, we now have lots more accurate measurement stations capable of measuring these low levels of pollution)

zilog6128

The UK really is short of news stories at the moment for this to be a big deal. It’s dust and pollution FFS, the dust we kick up when out riding our mountain bikes. And it is polution, the same stuff we breath when road cycling, commuting, sitting in traffic jams etc.

Have you actually been for a ride in an affected area? I was definitely aware of it on my commute yesterday. I have asthma so took it easy. It was worse in the evening IMO. Anyway I think the point is the dust & the pollution together might be worse than either separately.

Keef
    Free Member

I live near Birmingham,in fact I can see right across the city from a window,it looks bad out there.
    heading out for an hour on the bike,wish me luck,if I don’t make it….it’s been fun….

jonba
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Can we expect a chorus of Geordie diesel drivers releasing a single of “The Smog on Tyne”?

Unikely, it is foggy up here but as the graph shows the pollution level is low.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I was also out last night. Even got some new PRs on the single speed and I’m not dead.

roverpig

News just said its LEVEL 10 in London now which is apparently as bad as it gets. Which must mean its as bad as the Beijing smogs or Mexico city…

No, apparently we use a different scale. There was some guy on the radio who said that their 10 would be off the scale for us (something like 100 off the top of his head).

LimboJimbo

Everyone laughed at me when I opted for a camel instead of a company car. Who’s laughing now?

jock-muttley

As the camel dies of exposure …..

bianchiboy
    Free Member

I have asthma and live in Essex….

Rode 20 miles yesterday and felt no different to any other day

All a load of rollox if you ask me

imnotverygood

It is a reflection on the accuracy of the press , when the Guardian has a picture of the Angel of the North ‘in the smog’ when it is actually just mist. Sigh

benp1

Went out for about 3 hours last night. Honestly, didn’t notice any different!

My car could do with a clean, but its always dirty anyway!

Keef
    Free Member

I’m back.and I’m not dead.and neither is my wife.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been trail running all week in that London. Of all the places suffering, here in this bit, we’re all fine thx MWAxxx.

It seems such a shame to dispell the mass panic that I can see from my office window, all those desperate souls keeling over, head in hands, bloated red faces with snot running form thier nose that I shall now proclaim it’s all horseshit. 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Well, having just got back from a ride (Clent Hills), I’m going to come down on the side of Bad

I could taste a dry salty thing in my mouth and the back of my throat was ‘full of it’. Eyes were a bit streamy too

The car roof’s were covered with brown dust, and a roadie I talked to concurred

Here’s a pic

Keef
    Free Member

bonesetter

I could taste a dry salty thing in my mouth and the back of my throat was ‘full of it’.

😯

er….

phiiiiil

So how do you tell? Everyone at work is all “ooo look at the smog, you can’t see the hill outside any more!” but it just looks misty, and I couldn’t tell any difference biking in earlier… am I slowly dying without realising?

cheers_drive

I rode yesterday in East Anglia – one of the worst effected areas apparently – I didn’t notice any particular difference but we did have a typical Fens wind blowing which may of cleared it locally.
    Having some warning for those with medical conditions is worth while but the media as usual has gone way OTT on this.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think it’s a combination of a low cloudy day combined with the desert dust and then the rest of the normal car fume stuff, so you end up with a denser, more toxic mix

zbonty

I think its been grim out for the last couple of days. Smells different and not pleasant imo.

Sui
    Free Member

Keef – Member

bonesetter

I could taste a dry salty thing in my mouth and the back of my throat was ‘full of it’.

er….

LOL euphemism of the week 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is it safe to ride yet – Sahara dust content’ is closed to new replies.