Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is it possible to “tune” your Instagram feed?
  • vlad_the_invader

I’m getting increasingly pissed off with the crap Instagram serves up to me. I’m pretty rigorous in only following bike-related posters but I seem to be swamped with “fail of the day” type content. Seeing other riders crash and burn has lost its novelty, and Im now being served up similar content related to cars and trucks (including some almost certainly fatal accidents).

None of this content seems to be directly related to the people/organizations I follow and there isn’t a keyword/phrase in play. I keep flagging the specific  content as inappropriate.

I’m not particularly committed to Insta but it seems to be the best way to keep up with trail news, conditions and developments…

Thoughts? Or should I stop being so sensitive…

onehundredthidiot

I was in the same situation then it started showing women doing “accidental” upskirt videos.

I’ve now deleted the app along with Facebook not for oooo look at me reasons but because they are a bit brain hurty.

LAP13
    Free Member

3 dots on a post – ‘not interested’

Labourious as it’s a post at a time but it does work

Also clicking on or pausing on posts that do interest you seems to work the algorithm

fathomer

If this is on your feed, you can turn off all suggested posts for 30 days at a time. You then only see posts from those you follow and the odd sponsored post. It’s what I do.

oceanskipper

Everything you do on FB and Instagram is linked. It even tracks where you tap on the screen and how fast you scroll past stuff so tuning is very hard. If you get things in your feed that you don’t want but you scroll past it slowly you’ll get more stuff like that even though you didn’t watch it etc…

lister

Yeah, same issue here. I created an account to only follow mountain biking and mountain bikers. It’s not officially linked to my fb account but they probably know…
    I get the weirdest suggested posts; it’s quite desperate for me to like Formula 1 for some reason…I guess that’s the Redbull link.
    I didn’t know you could turn off suggested posts so I’m going to try that right now though.

matt_outandabout

I’m on there because two of my sons are and it’s a good way to keep up with them.
    But I detest everything else it is.
    Like the OP I get the oddest recommendations and feed based on what everyone else has looked at that day. Mrs_oab is the same, we are both fed up of it and don’t like going on the app.

vlad_the_invader

Mrs_oab is the same, we are both fed up of it and don’t like going on the app.

I specifically have refused to follow Mrs Vlad’s instagram account because I just know I’ll be spammed with ads for shoes and handbags and stupid dog videos….

I’m aware of some of the techniques mentioned above but just wondered whether anyone had anything more “creative”…

NewRetroTom

Did you see the thing recently about EU law saying there has to be an option for chronological feed rather than algorithm driven?

https://tcrn.ch/3qMfP3P

DrP

I was in the same situation then it started showing women doing “accidental” upskirt videos.

I think all roads lead to Rome, TBH….

My feed goes through this cycle..

1. Downhill and bike welding
    2. Female downhillers
    3. Female bike riders with bikes – road and XC
    4. Females with more skin on show, near a bike.
    5. Females in a bikini near a bike/skis/lake
    6. You can figure the rest!

I guess it works out the scroll speed must slow EVER SO SLIGHTLY, so steers me more towards numbers 3 to 6 on the list!!!

DrP

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I’d ask a teenager

phil5556

Click on the word Instagram at the top and select Following should help. I think you have to do it every time you open the app though.

lunge

Curation is easy, albeit it can take some time.
    Clicking on the 3 dots and clicking “not interested” helps, as does blocking a few similar accounts.
    It’s not perfect, but it does help.

fossy

Snooze Suggested – thanks just done that, but need to remember in 30 days.

jam-bo

Snoozing suggested posts makes a massive difference but only lasts for 30days.
    every 30 days I start thinking why is it showing me all this shit for a day or so until I remember the setting.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I tuned my instagram by deleting my entire account. Couldn’t hack the irrelevant shite it was serving up every time I went on it – suggestions, adverts, “ooo, look at me” fuckwittery… Not missed it for a second.

Yak

Mine is a bit like DrPs, except it goes:

1 Mtb/Climbing

2 Mtb/Climbing/Cats

3 Cats/ Cats/ Dogs

4 Cats/ Dogs / Pandas

Then I have to intervene and use the 3 dots to reset.

ampthill

Just went to Instagram and scrolled.

I got adverts, too many

Two poor suggestions related to motor sport

Everything else was stuff I follow, no crashes. Mainly cycling, some sailing and climbing.

I follow a lot of cyclists and lots of people I know (just checked in following 500 accounts). I think it’s best to go all in. The more it knows what you want the less it has to guess wrong what you want

multi21
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot

I’ve now deleted the app along with Facebook not for oooo look at me reasons but because they are a bit brain hurty.

I get those with TikTok, also the fake “i’m so embarrassed I went to the gym with a cameltoe” routine.

Pretty sure I caused it by liking a ice bath video that i didn’t realise was created by an onlyfans succubus.

It’s a good idea deleting them, only problem is lots of apps have it built in now. As you say, facebook, but also twitter, youtube (shorts), instagram. Quite often I’ll go into the app for something specific and find myself 20 minutes later flicking through completely unrelated reels like a zombie.

DrP

Quite often I’ll go into the app for something specific and find myself 20 minutes later flicking through completely unrelated  upskirts and cameltoe reels like a zombie.

FTFY.. 😉

DrP

multi21
    Free Member

those cameltoe reels are really moreish

vlad_the_invader

Just wondering whether there’s any ad blockers or stuff for Inst app, or alternative apps for “consuming” the content but only displaying the content I actually want

Granted, that’s probably against their T&C’s and any alternative app would need to go thru a learning process…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Try Singletrack For Only 99p

Or enjoy the latest magazine for only £2.99