Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Is it possible to justify owning TWO E-Bikes ?.
  • Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

OP – maybe have a look at Benno Bikes?

https://www.bennobikes.com/e-bikes/boost/

Also, don’t know if the Xtracycle eStoker is available in the UK? I would think that might tickle your fancy?

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Very nice, but unfortunately these are above the budget.
    I’ve narrowed it down to a short list.

Trek powerfly sport 4 equip
    500w -£2750
    Cube Kathmandu hybrid pro 625
    615w -£2899
    Focus jarifa 6.6 Nine
    500w -£2799
    Orbea keram suv30
    400w £2499
    And a very outside chance of a Carrera crossfuse 400w -£1899.

I’m leaning towards either the Kathmandu or the Keram SUV 30
    Problem is most of these are nearing the £3K price, and for £4K I can get a Focus Jam 6.7

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I dont think for a second an ebike is an easy or even easier option thats going to impact on your fitness.

<Devil’s advocate> So then why bother with spending multiple thousands on an overpriced underspecced ehybrid just to fetch some scran/getabout town?? Instead buy a good quality town bike made for town/car reolacment, ie complete with all accessories, guards, racks, locks, dynamo hub etc? Or a used one for half the price?

random example

?

random example two

Loads of money left for a dream MTB then, also then have a proper town bike/car replacement (albeit without the stepthru bonus 😉) and no need to worry about it being locked up outside Theftco’s… </devil’s advocate>

If OTOH you’re still worried about fashion and want something a bit more nickable but would ideally like to slash your current town/ute-bike budget then howabout a Genesis Brixton?

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

(Missed the edit window)

random wildcard

I sometimes use my Longitude for carrying monster loads now the utility bike is in ICU.

Like the Dutch ute, it’s long where it counts (at the rear), and the rack/panniers sit far out of the way of heel-strike.

Here’s my 50+l pannier well-stuffed. It will carry two of those with equal disinterest.

For ‘car-replacement/town use’ (0.5 to 20 mile round trips, any weather, multiple stops, leave anywhere unconcerned etc) then the Longitude is shite compared to the Dutch utility bike by every other metric (excepting the load-lugging where they are equals)

If I was to replace either with an electric version, it would be the utility bike that would get motorised, mainly because I live up a big hill and as it would still get the most regular use of all my bikes.

Although as I age I’m looking to replace that slot with a Honda CT125 or (electric equivalent) for town/commuting duties and more, leaving me more time to enjoy the wonders of mtbing and touring on nice old-fashioned pushbikes.

Premier Icon grantyboy
    Free Member

there was an older chap who cycled past me on a e-bike full susser, name looked like Harrio or Harrbo. Looked like a 4 bar linkage with panniers on both sides.

As you say you want a decent spec, why dilute your cash with two bikes when you can look for one that covers all bases. Personally I’d get a full sus ebike and get a trailer. daily/little shops just use a decent rucksack, bigger food shops hitch the trailer on
    Or gravel type bike with panniers/trailer. Depends how gnar you ride if you need full suspension

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

I’m plagued with indecision these days, just not my usual decisive self. Maybe there’s too much choice or maybe my expectation is to high, but i just dont seem to know what i want.

“Gnar” 😆 😆 that would be fun, but been a while since ive had rough ground beneath me, and im not sure i ever will beyond some single track pathways. Maybe im just too old and to unfit and unhealthy to take on such challenges.

Here’s what I have currently, set up for shop,commute or whatever. Its a nice well fitting bike, got all the bits that make it capable.

I cant get a pic to load, but its heres should anyone care to take a look
    https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/my-cove-stiffee-fr.432581/

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Sod it, damn it to hell with it decision made
    Im going for the Focus jam 6.8 in 29er.
    Come hell or high water. I’ll fing make it work. If i need to retrain my head or so to get into the idea of running a trailer, I damned well will make that work.

Next stop- give Scott a buzz over at Love Ebikes in Glasgow. He knows his onions, ive had a chat with him previously and he has a real depth of passion and the experience of all things bike, previously being the Yeti rep for the UK. He’d be my choice of shop, not just as its a one man independent.

Premier Icon grantyboy
    Free Member

why don’t you electrify that while you ponder your next move? Seems the ideal runaround Goldilocks bike for life admin and wait for the glut of covid bought bikes to flood ebay next year
    never too old…

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

My new favourite armchair-sport is fast-becoming watching dyed-in-the-wool UK MTBers choose a bike on which to go to the shops and potter about 😀

It’s so wrong for the job in every way that it’s gone full circle to utterly awesome!

Get a good lock/insurance, and most of all have fun! (Once you’ve added the kickstand, dynohub, road-spec cutoff beam lights, full mudguards, flaps etc 😉)

(PS I hear a Van Moof is handy for tall folk… 😉)

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Its I want to get out more. To do the miles I used to do, which was about 100 or so a week come rain,shine or snow. As above, if i need to cobble together something to shop with on it I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it, but I guess the important step is to first have a capable bike so I can at least get out and ride.
    It’s about 8 miles to my sisters(she loves cooking) and up hill all the way(usually into the wind too as fate always deems it)
    But just to get out again, and go wherever the whim takes me.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

But just to get out again, and go wherever the whim takes me.

That’s what it’s all about, joking apart.

I used to live over 10 coastal river valleys from my friend’s cottage and the climbing was insane there and back so I’d drive most of the time even though I really didn’t want to drive. By bike it was doable by a few farm tracks and many lanes. I agonised for ages what ebike or kit to look for in order to achieve this task (going back about 8 years so not so much about back then) I was looking at Kalkhoff

My needs have since changed and can get around without the motor for now, yet if I was in the market again for such a task then I could see that Focus being a total hoot, and a lovely thing to own, knowing that you can get anywhere on it, push yr limits etc

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.