Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is it possible to get a saddle (Charge Spoon) apart?
  • MadPierre

Okay so I’ve got a ti railed Spoon with a ripped seat cover. Cunning plan could be buy a cheap steel railed version and swap the tops over…?

Initial removal of screws last night revealed the rails are inserted into the molded plastic both ends as per usual with most saddles.

So is it possible? Is there a technique/ tool? Or shall I just stick with gaffa tape over the rips?

Sam

Different saddles are assembled differently, but you shouldn’t need to remove the rails in order to get the cover off. They are usually glued or some have small staples around the edge. Re-fitting requires a bit of finesse to get it all smooth and flat.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

sam he wants to swap the top of a steel railed charge with the rails from the ripped ti version, not the leather cover only

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sam

Cheaper and easier to re-cover the existing saddle I’d think….

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Broke a rail on a flite years ago – similar moulded construction. It was simply impossible to try and pop another in.

bruk

Yes.

Putting it back together again though is nigh on impossible. 😉

MadPierre

Gaffa tape it is then….

herusix
    Free Member

It is possible to swap the rails over ,have done on several occasions on plastic bmx seats however I cannot guarantee that the cover may not be affected.

The method is quite simple,you need to fill a large pan full of water,then heat up to below boiling and let it simmer.
    Now pop in the seat and leave it for 5 mins or so until you notice the plastic seat base becoming more pliable ( you will need some protective gloves as the plastic will be hot) you should then be able to remove the old rails and replace with the new.
    Once you have switched the rails ,leave to cool and you should be good to go.

racefaceec90

have recently got a new bike with a spoon saddle.by the gods is it comfortable 😯 😀 (all the saddles that i have used up to this point have been like sitting on a breezeblock) i could almost cry with happiness 😀 sorry didn’t answer the question,but i just had to post this (tis like finding the ark of the covenant and other ott warblings e.t.c) right i’ll shut up now.

SiB
    Free Member

The nice customs peeps at the airport had a good look around in my bike including taking the saddle off the rails, Could I **** get it back in, new saddle it was after asking the same question on this forum and getting the same replies as above to get a new one

D0NK

The nice customs peeps at the airport had a good look around in my bike including taking the saddle off the rails

WTF? Did they ask first/do this infront of you? I’d be telling them “there’s a bill in the post if you do that”

Mister-P
    Free Member

And the customs folk would have taken more stuff apart just to spite you if you had. They don’t have a sense of humour, I have seen them in action.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to get a saddle (Charge Spoon) apart?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts