Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it possible to buy straight-pull spokes for
  • welshfarmer

Shimano Deore XT 26″ wheels? Would like to rebuild my rear which got 4 spokes bust when rear mech broke. Doesn’t appear to be an obvious source of them online so guessing need to go via a LBS with Shimano account??

If anyone knows of an online source I would be most grateful

br
    Free Member

When I broke a load in my Hope SP’s my LBS/mechanic managed to get some from Winstanleys – only place he could find and had to pay retail-price too.

Sundayjumper

If you’re not in a hurry you could probably pick up a s/h wheel pretty cheap as a spoke donor. The bearings are really shoddy and once the nds cup is pitted the hub is scrap.

scruff
    Free Member

I got one spoke for my Shimano 700c wheel from SJS cycles online, cost me £4. (ffs)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just Riding Along do a selection of straight pull spokes if that helps – mostly Sapim from the looks of things.

welshfarmer

Ouch. Seems a shame to scrap a wheel for sake of a few spokes. Maybe sale for spares or repair is the answer. The freehub is still in tact which is a bonus. Knowing my luck I would fix the spokes and this would crack the following week! Thanks for all suggestions

welshfarmer

Hey Scruff. I think you may have just cracked it (though £5 a spoke is a bit steep!!)

scruff
    Free Member

Parts number off Shimnao website might help, L and R spokes different sizes and don’t seem very compatible between models.

welshfarmer

Will check into it a bit further. Thanks for help so far.

timmys

I had to buy one a few years ago. I got them from Petra cycles so they might be worth checking.

You need to dig out the Shinano parts diagram and make sure you get the right part no. as it’s rather complicated. The M778 and M776 wheels use different spokes, front and rear are different and drive and non-drive side are different – something like that anyway – take home message is there are a lot of combos!

Along with the spoke I also seem to have had to ordered a hub nut separately(WH-M975-R Hub Nut – Rear) so you should check if you need those too.

welshfarmer

H iTimmy, thanks for that additional info. Very helpful. I had not realised the hub nuts (silly name for the end of the spoke!) were not included. Unfortunately they are also out of stoke at sjs cycles. However, just for reference, I found the spokes and hubnuts on a German site which works out far cheaper with current exchange so have ordered what I need. I will let you all know if and when it all turns up.

Stuff ordered from here

http://bicikli.de/shop/SHIMANO-spare-parts?lang=eng

mtbfix

Depending on which XT wheel you have, I have a rear XT wheel tucked away in the garage for spares after the bearing surface collapsed.

welshfarmer

Cheers for the offer mtbfix. It is a 788 rear in 26″ size. I will see if the bits from Germany fix it up and if not then I may well come back to you.

Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to buy straight-pull spokes for’ is closed to new replies.