Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is it ok to buy things from overseas? You know, with covid-19 and all
  • swoosh
    Free Member

As the title says really. Like the stuff on eBay that is really cheap but comes from China or Italy? Just thinking about whether it’s ok from a health point of view to do that, but also morally whether we should all be buying stuff from our own countries only for the time being? Should we be encouraging posting items across the world?

tomhoward

Given we have the worst record in Europe, second in the world, you’re less at risk buying anything that isn’t coming from here, or the States.

weeksy

We buy things, when they arrive they spend a couple of days in quarantine before opening etc.

itlab
    Free Member

Health wise your fine.

The virus can only remain viable on most surfaces for a few hours, metal surfaces it can apparently last for a few days. So the risk is minimal

Your more likely to get it from domestic post (or the postie coughing on it when he delivers) than from abroad

Morally that’s up to you, but if your looking for an excuse to cover your bike in hope or burgtec than this looks like a good enough reason as any.

MartynS

Bought several boxes of wine form Italy,

still here.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

If you are worried about infection transmission then it will depend on a whole host of variables. (Surfaces involved, temperature, virus load, duration of transit etc etc.)

Poopscoop

On cardboard and paper it lasts a matter of hours in general, ditto on fabrics

On plastics/metals around 3 days (other than copper etc).

As for morality. Tough one. A Brexity mate is extolling the virtues of buying British and to some degree he has a point. Shorter supply chains, supporting UK industry etc. but as I pointed out to him, could he spec me a British designed, manufactured and assembled TV for me to buy British?

Also asked if he would be buying British non oem parts from now on for his VW?

Back to the health side, I’m more concerned about food/packaging coming into the house from this country to be honest, as someone said above. That all gets sprayed and where possible left for 3 days before being used/stored away.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Got a Manitou fork from Germany this afternoon. No way I’m not touching that for 3 days… it’s on the bike and set up now 🙂

hols2
    Free Member

whether we should all be buying stuff from our own countries

Supply chains for manufactured goods are so complex, you can’t buy stuff just from your own country. Buy the best product and make a donation to a local cause if you want to help locals.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is it ok to buy things from overseas? You know, with covid-19 and all’ is closed to new replies.