Is it me or are the classifieds not as active now ??

Home Forum Bike Forum Is it me or are the classifieds not as active now ??

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is it me or are the classifieds not as active now ??
  • Junkyard

prices seem silly to me tbh
    There were some 2009 ish Rebas for £180 the other day

I think they were about that new tbh and you cannot say anything on the thread ] as it is spoling]so I don’t bother much tbh

MoseyMTB

Yeah i agree, if you question the price to make an offer you get an angry email from the mods.

Unless it’s priced near to what i can pay i don’t really bother to haggle anymore.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I always email direct, hardly even reply to posts

Still some good deals to be had but it puts me off when you can’t tell the seller he’s over priced his stuff and that you can get it for less brand new without getting ‘pinged’ from the Mods!?!

renton

Just been over to look at the classifieds and there seems to be a lot of stuff for sale but no a lot of interest in it and not many replies to posts??

Are people just getting bored of it or are many of us a bit worried about getting ripped off now??

Also when you buy something and it doesn’t turn up and the seller doesn’t reply as soon as I put an advert on bike forum, genuinely asking anyone if they knew where he was??? To me genuine question the mods deleted it, which I find a bit ??? As we don’t want the rip offs on this site do we!!

sugdenr

Classifieds have deffo gone flat, it’s good the mods have clamped down on the aggressive personal abuse posts but it’s killed the ads. I have built 3 bikes from the ads but struggle to get anything i need the last few months

dibboid

Quiet unless the thread title is “Thompson stem” or “dropper post” then it’s chaos. Lol 🙂

LoCo

Are people actually buying new bikes and subsequently selling their older stuff/buying new stuff? Or just holding on to what they have for another year to save cash and see how the whole wheel thing ( 😯 ) pans out?

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

All the 26er stuff is being flogged on retrobike these days 😉

LoCo

😆 stop it! don’t let this turn into a wheels thing ( again ) 😉

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

It’s probably quieter now because we’re actively banning spammers, scammers and traders. You’re welcome.

it puts me off when you can’t tell the seller he’s over priced his stuff and that you can get it for less brand new without getting ‘pinged’ from the Mods!?!

Theoretically at least, the rules are to prevent people “ad spoiling” for the sake of it rather than to discourage haggling if you’re genuinely interested in buying. It’s a fairly new policy though, so we’re still feeling out what is and isn’t acceptable / fair to everyone, so some messages might have gone out in error early on, maybe.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Also when you buy something and it doesn’t turn up and the seller doesn’t reply as soon as I put an advert on bike forum, genuinely asking anyone if they knew where he was??? To me genuine question the mods deleted it, which I find a bit ??? As we don’t want the rip offs on this site do we!!

I’ve just checked back on this, seems it was classified (ho ho) as a paging post, which are discouraged as they can get out of hand and clog up the forum.

Did your pedals turn up?

DT78

I’ve actually got loads of kit I should get rid of as I am looking to reduce the number of bikes I have.

Last time I tried a big sell off I got messed about so much with low ball offers and requests for pictures (just click the link to flickr…) that I can’t really be arsed, and what with there actually being nice weather I’m getting out on the bike as much as possible. Doesn’t leave much spare time. eBay tends to be a much easier way of selling and on average i get more for parts even after fees

I’ve started responding to the odd wanted ad, less likely to be a tyre kicker more likely to agree a sale

hora

Too many high prices. I’m not looking for a gift but for instance I’ve noticed C456 for 250 whereas I sold my mint/newish one for 215 posted with Hope headset. Etc etc.

People wanting ebay prices but without the fees.

Mister P

I sold a pair of wheels through the classifieds a couple of weeks ago. They went quickly to the first of 4 people who enquired about them. Do a bit of research on pricing and be realistic in what you ask, put a decent description, add a couple of photos and stuff will sell. I am certainly happy with that side of STW.

donal

I have sold about ten items over the last week or so. All went within a day, except one item which I have just sold. They have all been well priced, in good condition, photos included, and I have been willing to haggle. As was said above, the key is to be reasonable and flexible with the pricing. It does also help to time your post well so that it is on the front page during peak hours.

hora

One annoying thing is people who don’t reply to your interest (as they’ve got someone ‘in the process’). Annoys, then you see the ad pop back up again and I think ‘no thanks’.

I noticed one recently where people had posted up pics etc please. No reply as they then posted on the ad ‘no thanks if you cant be bothered replying to me etc’

steel4real

Too much complaining above – I find that the classifieds reaches a relatively small audience and just look at the nitpicking !

Personally I pitch the prices as I see fit, like Mister P above. If people want to make an offer they are welcome, but by email as that is how I would treat any other buyer and not make it public. But then you always get some right monkeys 😯

As a measure of the audience STW classifieds reaches, every item I have had for sale that hasn’t sold on STW has sold for ‘buy it now’ on ebay 😆

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Still seems fairly active to me.

Nowt wrong with haggling, either buyign or selling, but no point spoiling a sale. If I’m selling, i obviously want as much as possible, so will optimisitcally over-price and expect to haggle, likewise if I’m buying I’ll probably offer under the asking price and expect to be negotiated up.

Email contact is preferred to sort out the sale, but open questions, and a courtesy “ygm” to show interest are expected to go on the forum to share with others.

What bugs me is the definition of “clearout”, huge or otherwise. 4 items of little value is NOT a clearout, unless its what left after your 30+ item garage sale.

Junkyard

Not all sellers have an e-mail address though so sometimes you have to do it publicly

As a measure of the audience STW classifieds reaches, every item I have had for sale that hasn’t sold on STW has sold for ‘buy it now’ on ebay

I think you will find that is a measure of how stupid ebayers are tbh

We have all seen stuff go for the same price as new

I saw some matchmakers go for £ 3 less than new with £5 postage

hora

Ebay offers obvious buy it now/paypal protection though.

Some STW sellers, even regulars are economical with their interpretation of mint and selective photography.

I’ve been bitten three times by STW sellers in this way. With Ebay they wouldn’t take the piss.

Kuco

I look at the prices and at times think they are having a laugh, for a few more quid I can buy new with a warranty.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is it me or are the classifieds not as active now ??’ is closed to new replies.