Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Is it me OR
  • jimster01

Is it eerily quiet outside?
    We live on a cut through road from the main Worcester/Malvern Road, on the edge of an industrial estate, and it’s quiet, worse than Xmas day quiet.

Have you noticed it being quieter where you are?

lister

Yeah. No idea why…

Tracey

Noticed it last night and again tonight. Not much traffic at all. However its not slowed down at all throughout the day.

Are you actually serious?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hear the Peak District was rammed today. Apparently, it was like a sunny bank holiday there.

Seems everyone went to the same place for their social distancing. 🤦🏼‍♀️

jimster01

Even quieter than Xmas, when pubs and Restaurants are usually closed?

epicyclo

Strings of campervans heading up the A9 so people can social distance together in places where there’s no ICU beds at all.

They better not get sick…

ads678

Got the wife and kids out for a family bike ride earlier, managed to get them to do a 22km loop that I do from the door with the promise of a stop at maccy D’s for lunch…there definitely seemed to be more people out than usual. Sun was out so maybe that was it. McDonald’s was still still rammed even though it’s takeaways only!!

birky
    Free Member

Strings of campervans heading up the A9 so people can social distance together in places where there’s no ICU beds at all.

They better not get sick…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51990534

tjagain

Its loads quieter by me. 25 pubs and restaurants with 400m of my flat. all closed. Its like a ghost town. It was quiet all day but tonight at 10pm is quieter than it usually is at 3 am.

jimdubleyou

We live under an occasional Heathrow flight path. Heard three take offs tonight…

Drac

Yes certainly noticed the streets a little quieter today was more like a week day which is odd as yesterday was more like a Saturday.

funkmasterp

Busy throughout the day here, but now it’s eerily quite. No jovial folk walking back from the pubs and I haven’t heard a car in ages. Not like a fortnight ago when one drove in to my **** house.

phil5556

I’ve not strayed far apart from around the block with the dog, but it’s been as busy as ever here. I could see plenty of cars bringing groups of people to the beach, meeting up before heading off for group walks. Apparently the beach the other end of town was busy too.
    It’s always quiet at night here though.

MoreCashThanDash

Lots of people out in the fresh air yesterday, then went totally quiet as darkness fell. Very strange

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Live not too far from an Aldi so traffic around me no quieter, but there are pockets where it is dead and pockets where it is busy. I suspect it will quieten down over next few days

DickBarton

Motorway was very quiet and roads do appear to have lighter traffic. Streets are all very quiet as well.

Good to see…but the tourist places apparently are getting rammed…which isn’t good to see.

Bunnyhop

Our bike took us up to a local high spot. Hardly any traffic on the roads.
    Best of all looking over onto the distance at Manchester, there isn’t that usual horrible pollution mist above. The view was clear.
    Yes everywhere is a lot quieter.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Skies are quiet too.

convert

Skies are quiet too.

The head of Geography here at the time of the Icelandic volcano thing stood up in assembly and told all the kids to look up at the sky and celebrate the lack of contrails the like of which they would likely never see again.

I’m in a bit of the South Downs normally awash with Gatwick contrails. I’m looking out of the wind now and can’t see a single one.

ajantom

The skies have been quiet here from a couple of weeks ago as we live near Exeter airport – when Flybe went under almost all flights stopped!

Town and roads are quiet…BUT, having just gone out for a ride, parts of the countryside are heaving!

My local-local woods (1st half of the ride) not a soul to be seen. 2nd half of the ride on Woodbury Common however, busier than the busiest of summer days. Crazy!

nicko74

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR
    Subscriber

Like, literally?

slowoldman

2nd half of the ride on Woodbury Common however, busier than the busiest of summer days.

It’s almost as if all those folks you don’t normally see outdoors because they prefer to be cooped up indoors have suddenly decided they want to be outdoors.

FB-ATB

normally awash with Gatwick contrails. I’m looking out of the wind now and can’t see a single one.

If it carries on, the piston engined aeroplanes will start buzzing Gatwick, like when the volcano ash stopped jets!

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve mostly been staying in but have ventured out a couple of times. I was expecting a 28 days later style scene of empty streets but it was nothing like that. Maybe a little quiter but barely noticeable on the roads.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No it’s got busier! Went for a run yesterday from the house, normally you wouldn’t see anyone, I saw at least 6 people !

Every city person appears to have moved to the countryside, just to ensure the virus is spread through out the population, and that rural supermarkets/ pharmacies have nothing left

sharkbait
    Free Member

My nephew is in isolation in London with his fiance as she’s got the lergy – he said 98% if his mates have left the city.

I saw a very good friend yesterday who runs a police firearms range and the word is a stronger lockdown in London has been coming for a while but they’ve tried to keep it quiet so people don’t run away!

nickjb
    Free Member

and that rural supermarkets/ pharmacies have nothing left

Have heard this mentioned a lot on social media. Do you think the city supermarkets and pharmacies are full? Comes across as NIMBYism.

scaredypants

nickjb

and that rural supermarkets/ pharmacies have nothing left

Have heard this mentioned a lot on social media. Do you think the city supermarkets and pharmacies are full? Comes across as NIMBYism.

Most of the social media stuff is about people “escaping” the city and going to campsites, mobile homes, holiday homes in remote rural communities but some of the same would apply to shopping trips to villages a shortish distance out-of-town.

It’s maybe a bit to whingey in some cases but there’s a basis behind it all

(unless you’ve been meticulous about your distancing) It’s inappropriate to travel somewhere new, then start wandering into shops and interacting with the people present, even from an infection point of view. The additional argument is that the semi-rural infrastructure isn’t there to support those extra peole if they get ill but even possibly in terms of food supplies etc (particularly if those arriving then go out to stock(pile) up on stuff from scratch

stevious

Do you think the city supermarkets and pharmacies are full?

No, but the supply chain for re stocking urban shops and pharmacies is much simpler.

Pharmacies in areas with seasonal tourism have to really carefully plan their stock around this – many will not be stocked in the same way as they would be during tourist season.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It did seem a bit like everyone (and their dogs, and bikes) was out yesterday.

The photos from Snowdon etc made me think people are idiots, but then on an individual level how would anyone know it was going to be busy, it’s still <10C and only March, not exactly tourist season, just a load of outdoorsy people all having the same idea for a bit of social distancing on the same hill. Still, you’d think maybe they’d go somewhere else after seeing the car’s parked. But then if you’re driving to Snowdon, Peaslake, etc then the lack of imagination might preclude that.

Sandwich

This is interesting if the science is correct and another reason to stop burning fossil fuels in personal vehicles.

Philby

A pub near me was selling ‘take-outs’ yesterday which essentially meant a load of people drinking in a group on the pavement outside the pub which meant people wanting to go past the pub without coming into contact with others had to cross the road. A friend had just posted a photo of a group of young people having a BBQ on council parkland opposite her house this evening – should parents be taking more responsibility for their offspring?

ElShalimo

should parents be taking more responsibility for their offspring?

Only up to the age of 40

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Is it me OR’ is closed to new replies.