• This topic has 73 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Is it legal to park your camper van in the street and live in it???
  • LardLover
    Free Member

Just asking as we have someone who parks his campervan and lives in it. Not outside his house as his house is his campervan (better than the van he had before I admit).

uplink
    Free Member

It may well be a local thing with different councils having different rules

wwaswas

most Local authorities have bylaws about sleeping in vehicles parked on the street.

If you want him gone phone the council.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ever seen my big fat gypsy wedding?

LardLover
    Free Member

I haven’t seen him emptying his piss bucket down one of the drains………………………yet!

It’s nice van, got a bike rack and everything, check it out:

LardLover
    Free Member

That’s a bollocky-crap pic isn’t it 😳

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Only if you remember to block the driveway of TJ’s buy to let.

IHN

I dunno, but I slept in mine in by Pittville Park in ‘Nam on Friday night. Cheaper than a taxi home, and had a table I could use to eat my kebab 🙂

frogstomp

Strictly speaking no.. but if he’s no bother I don’t think I’d see a problem?

Maybe he has a good reason? There’s a camper being lived in near my lock-up garage.. haven’t spoken to the people but it appears they are caring for an elderly relative.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d say it might be a bollocky crap pic because OP is trollzing.

LardLover
    Free Member

Try again, nice bike rack

jon1973
    Free Member

someone has painted Tippex all over his number plate.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it is illegal. Did the CJA not prohibit camping anywhere other than a designated camp site?

I think it was illegal before that anyway.

hora
    Free Member

Shake it and bounce up and down on the rack late one night after a return from the boozer. I’d do it for shit and giggles.

He’d soon learn to live on a sanctioned camp/caravan site the skinflint free loader.

LardLover
    Free Member

Lol, like your thinking hora (it had already been mentioned by the wife!).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh shut up Hora don’t be so sanctimonious ffs. 🙄

Just live and let live. Unless he’s causing trouble, just leave him be.

Jeeze, Big Brother must be loving some of you lot.

As long as it’s taxed, it’s allowed to be on’t street, no? So what’s the problem? Bloke might just be right down on his luck or something. You don’t know what his story is; why not try being friendly and saying hello to him if you see him?

Hora; how would you like it if some drunken yobs came and threw stones at yer windows, banged on yer door late at night?

‘Ooh, someone is living in a manner different to the accepted norm, how dreadful’.

If I lived near Hora, I would stick poo through his letterbox on a nightly basis.

And wee in his petrol tank.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind a couple of nights and its not nimbyism to think ‘why am I paying council tax here when he doesn’t’. Sod off and be an eyesore elsewhere!

IHN

‘why am I paying council tax here when he doesn’t’

What is that paying for that he is taking advantage of?

If I lived near Hora, I would stick poo through his letterbox on a nightly basis.

And wee in his petrol tank.

You’d have to wait for me to finish first

Lifer
    Free Member

Sod off and be an eyesore elsewhere!

*cough*NIMBY*splutter*

hora
    Free Member

Elf my poo wouldn’t fit through your letterbox and could you felate over someone elses car please 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

What is that paying for that he is taking advantage of?

Road maintenance. Local council refuse removal (unless he’s storing it forever more). Probably a few other things.

However, within reason, if he’s not getting in the way I’d probably leave him to it.

IHN

Road maintenance. Local council refuse removal (unless he’s storing it forever more). Probably a few other things.

Oi, don’t come posting on here if you’re going to be all accurate and correct 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Given it is a hymer and it would be rather expensive so i doubt poverty is a reason for their choice. have you thought about engaging them in a conversation and you know finding out?

Hora you are the ultimate internet cage fighter KAPOW.

hora
    Free Member

It might be your councils new mobile library?

Junky I’m hoping to move upto full caps in my next online warrior lesson 🙂

bananaworld
    Free Member

Road maintenance.

It’s a little known fact that camper-vans left parked for more then two consecutive nights on standard-issue local authority highway tarmacadam will cause potholes that may develop into lavadome volcanoes.

Local council refuse removal

An even-littler known fact is that local authorities must supply all free-loaders, within ten working days of their arrival, with recycling; food-waste; and general landfill refuse receptacles.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You’d have to wait for me to finish first

😆

There’d be a long line of people weeing in Hora’s tank, and shoving poo through his letterbox….

‘Why won’t my car start, and why is my house full of poo?’

Oh please. So bloody what?? Not a big deal, is it?

Jeeze, some of you lot are lucky you don’t live where I do; you’d burst with righteous indignation.

I mean, some folk here don’t have a TV Licence!!! Oh the Humanity, child’s face next time, baby robin etc etc etc….

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That’s London for you.

Best city in the World…

😉

myheadsashed

Hora you are the ultimate internet cage fighter KAPOW.

He couldn’t fight his way out of a gerbil cage 😀

deluded
    Free Member

To answer your question – As long as matey ensures that they he doesn’t engage section 137 of the Highways Act 1980 and Regulation 103 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Act of 1986) by denying highway access to the public, wilfully obstruct the highway without lawful excuse or make unreasonable use of the highway, he’s OK to live in it I believe.

I’m inclined to agree with Elfinsaftey on the matter.

All the best.

taxi25
    Free Member

There’s no law that prohibits on a national basis, but local authorities may bylaws that make it illegal.
    This site covers it in some detail.
    http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

HermanShake
    Free Member

If he’s/she’s not bothering you, what’s the problem? I reckon a traveller with more attractive bicycles wouldn’t affect you so much. Admit it, the shopper does your head in.

As said earlier, live and let live. A number of my mates either dwell in or have previously done so in their vehicles. Do you feel the same about people living aboard boats? I can’t help but feel you want to know if it’s correct for you to complain. Seems a waste of council/police time unless they are infringing any more than any one else on our street.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh the Humanity, child’s face next time, baby robin etc

Elf – twice today it actually was a child’s face. A little sensitivity please, mark my words etc

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have often wondered if/how people of mobile nature get vehicle insurance as surely you need a postal address for such things – and state where the vehicle is usually kept?

Not bothered about campervans parked everywhere, but being taken out by one that has it’s insurance nullified for some reason, or being taken out by some traveller type without insurance at all, does give me a moments worry now and again (usually when the travellers are in the area and despoiling local beauty spots).

yunki
    Free Member

Is it legal to park your camper van in the street and live in it???

who gies a ****!? is what I really feel about this..

but I’ll just try and reassure Capt.kronos that most travellers that I’ve had occasion to meet make it their top priority to ensure that they have all the correct legal documentation.. as a very big part of that lifestyle is learning to live with getting harrassed by the bizzies every time you pull onto the public highway..
    so I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it if I were you Capt..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elf – twice today it actually was a child’s face. A little sensitivity please, mark my words etc

Really?

What happened? What happened???

molgrips
    Free Member

The chinese lantern thread and the dogpoo one.

(Caution, actual child harm content so it’s not really funny beyond the turn of phrase…)

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve lived in a van, my insurance was all present and correct. I’m a nice easy going person. Not a crazy “Traveler type”.

Some of the comments on this thread crack me up.

I don’t live in it (when at home), but I do park my caravan on a communial car park, where technically (according to the deeds) it isn’t allowed.

I did however consult with the neighbours that can actually see it from their properties and no-one minds.

Glad I don’t live on Hora’s road.

However, to give a bit of parity – if it, or a geezer living in a motorhome, was parked smack outside my house, I might be a bit miffed.

My caravan isn’t directly outside anyones house btw.

cbike
    Free Member

Prolly Danny Macaskill

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

lol – wasn’t having a pop at all travellers, just the really inconsiderate ones that seem to ignore pretty much every other law going 😉 Was also not sure whether you could actually *get* insurance without a permanent address – especially since you need your driving licence and V5 linked to a physical address… which could make anything else tricky!

(Should add I work on a few Gypsy sites and find them, on the whole, very sound people who will look after those that look after them so no prejudice was intended!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Is it legal to park your camper van in the street and live in it???’ is closed to new replies.