is it just me or is…

Home Forum Bike Forum is it just me or is…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • is it just me or is…
  • Filthy

ok untill it chops your fingers off when adjusting the shock

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

bikes that can crash on rocks at high speeds should not be made from plastic

taka

go for the aluminium one then πŸ™‚

Smee

I’m having difficulty figuring out how that linkage would work.

taka

dohhh im confused now cheers smee πŸ™

psychle

bikes that can crash on rocks at high speeds should not be made from plastic

Anything that’s going to break CF is sure as sh1t going to destroy an aluminium frame as well guv’ner πŸ™„

Carbon fibre is well proven nowadays, can’t believe people still trot out this line every time it’s mentioned in an AM type bike!

psychle

PS I like the first colour scheme the most… black and red = deadly

just like my s-works enduro 8)

Gary_C

Blimey!
    That linkage looks a bit ‘busy’.

taka

stick to steel may feel like riding gurders but atleast you feel safe πŸ™‚

Smee

How does the linkage work? I am really struggling to figure this one out.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

carbon fibre can takea hit and not show it on the outside, but be damaged on the inside.

taka

im feked 😯

Premier Icon ahsat
    Subscriber

Personally I just want the red rims

taka

right think i figures it the swing arm goes up pushes the far pivot forward which pushes the shock down?

Smee

Take the second chamber off the shock and I can figure out a reasonable idea, but not with that shock. First bump and it looks like it’d be toast.

coffeeking

Bottom shock pivot moves forward with the swingarm, still looks close but obviously doesnt hit (or they wouldnt sell it lol)

Smee

Two words – mud clearance.

coffeeking

What’s mud clearance got to do with that? My shock is in that location and never sees a jot of mud?

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

smee – the shock is on a rocker too

as the wheel moves up, the bottom mount will push forwards so maybe the top of the shock tucks in & misses the “swingarm” crosslink 😯
    (actually looks just a little bit as though it’s a really slim crosspiece on that link too)

Guilliano

OK, I’ve worked out the linkage but I’m struggling with a bottle cage…..

cynic-al

nine words – stupid pointless ugly linkage adding weight and no benefit.

taka

OK, I’ve worked out the linkage but I’m struggling with a bottle cage…..

theres always one…. πŸ˜€

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

looks pants

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

1 more word – migraine!

coffeeking

I like anything that has mechanical linkages, the more and the more pointless the better. Until I have to maintain it.

topangarider

Maybe not mud clearance, but plenty of places for it to get tucked in for a ride !

At leats there’s a bit on an art to working with metals – CF just slopped in a mold by some non-skilled worker – nah, not for me.

taka

this a nice bike? been pondering over it in the catoloug all day shame i havent got Β£3000+ if youve got one shome me yours πŸ˜†

gor…

goooor…

gooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrr……….

mikey74

The back end is supposed to flex more than an olympic gymnast.

i’d hate to have to clean it. keep things simple i reckon

is it me, or is it just a single pivot, with about a dozen extra bushings?

thepodge

too many bits in that linkage, does it really make that much difference than having one end of the shock bolted on the swingarm and the other on the main frame? I know it will make “some” difference but that just looks overly complex which shouldn’t be confused with improvement.

coffeeking

At leats there’s a bit on an art to working with metals – CF just slopped in a mold by some non-skilled worker – nah, not for me.

Hardly, in fact possibly the contrary – correctly creating carbon layups, even prepreg, is a work of art and easy to get quite wrong, metalwork is pretty easy, especially in the current days of CNC and robot welding, pretty much everything can be done by computer. Having tried both I can tell you which one is faster, easier and involved less luck* for me.

*luck reads as skill that I don’t have but sometimes you can get right by accident πŸ™‚

The complex linkage design will simply give a variable shock rate instead of linear or ramping. ITs still a single pivot. I always think it would be easier and a LOT cheaper to get variable damping and spring rate by embedded electronic control rather than complex linkages.

mikey74

A friend of mine, who works in a bike shop, told me that alot of the ones they have sold have cracked and been returned.

thepodge

is there any real benefit for doing a carbon frame other than it looking a bit swish?

i cant imagine that they are significantly stronger / stiffer / lighter than an alu one

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

is it me, or is it just a single pivot, with about a dozen extra bushings?

Pretty much, it’s just a linkage driven single pivot. Not massively complex.

Carbon’s fine.

topangarider

Its just a competition to see who can create the most complex frame shapes and linkages with carbon. No real point I reckon. Just train more.

I think coffeeking has a point about the electronics – this must be the future (and possibly homebrew shock circuitry!!)

aw

absolute horrible!

Like a motor bike without an engine.

steel hardtail every time!

They look a bit tarty. I prefer the understated,stealth look.

under forked?

taka

nahhhh…. gone of them now want one of thease

πŸ˜€

corroded

Those ‘dales are hideous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘is it just me or is…’ is closed to new replies.